Exhaust Brakes / Retarder

Have had a quick search and I understand what it does and where it might be useful.

Never used one, so where do I find it (Scania). Floor / Dash / Column? What symbol does it have? Give us a clue!

(Any other secondary brake info would be handy too)

Usually a switch on the dashboard on a Scania. Switch on and it comes on automatically.

Foot switch on some older trucks, for when you need it.

Extra stalk on some, like Volvo.

Depends what Scania you’re in…

In a smaller one there’s a switch on the dash marked “AUT”. Switch it on and the exhaust brake will opperate on the first section of brake pedal. (gentle application).

On the bigger Scania’s, there’s a seven stage lever on the dash.

Cheers for that. At least I’ll have some clues to “I wonder what that button does…” :open_mouth: I’ll see what it’s like in the morning.

If you’re in a DAF then look for a little raised blob on the angled slope to the left of the clutch - press this and feel the force!! :unamused:

Actually, don’t bother… Just open your windows - you’ll get more retardation from the extra drag than DAF’s pathetic exhauster will ever give you! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I’m wary of floor buttons because when I was learning in a Dennis 6sp coach, there was a cut-off switch on the floor in the middle just in front of the seat (and just where I like to plonk my foot when it’s not on the clutch.) Took 2 days to avoid killing the engine by accident.

I did see a blob on the floor of the DAF I drove the other day. Didn’t look like much to me though. It looked more like one of those many blobs you get on anti-slip flooring!

To me any buttons around the clutch pedal are are the good old 1960s headlamp dip switches.

Thanks for that, if I see one again, I’ll wind the windows down. :laughing:

In Buses all the Retarders are Hydraulic, with some of the newer ones such as the DAF/VDL Bus SB120 and SB180 being Electric Retarders - on Buses universally the Retarder is controlled through use of the Brake Pedal.

If you ever drive a Bus with a “Voith” automatic gearbox, when the Retarder in Use light comes on when you hit the brakes, there’s always a small delay before it actually activates…sometimes you can be sent through the windscreen!!

MCW Metrobus’ were famous for their Retarders, it either left you with a Forehead saying “MCW Metrobus” from the steering wheel, or it didn’t work at all!

Richard
:slight_smile: