Can someone Help a noob please?

Morning people

I start my first class 1 job tomorrow :smiley: but ive been give a daf :cry: to drive untill my volvo is on the road

It’s a 95 cf 480, im haveing some trouble finding out how to operate it an i wounder if some of my fellow professional drivers would give me a helping hand

Some of the problems

1. How dose the exhaust brake work?
  2. Why dose the suspension keep rasing rally high?

Thanks scott

the cf i drove the exhaust brake was a little steel type button on the left hand side of the floor down by the seat which you stamp on!! :smiley:

what age is it.if the suspension is to high level it with your wander lead if it dont level thats it ride height unless the bags are fully inflated then its buggered.scania suspension is high the exhaust brake depends on age it might be like taff says the old metal foot pedal type if its newer it will more than likely be a button on the dash or on a stalk on the stearing rack.hope this helps you out :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thetaff:
the cf i drove the exhaust brake was a little steel type button on the left hand side of the floor down by the seat which you stamp on!! :smiley:

Seem to recall they were just to the left of the clutch on a kind of sloping footrest on the earlier ones.

Ken.

On the suspension, as Dreva says, level it with the lead.

If you can picture a noughts and crosses grid, then top middle, press it until the green light above it comes on and then middle far right, press and see if it levels out. If it does, then the green light should go out automatically, if not press the top middle one again until it does.

Ken.

wabco-auto.com/uploads/media … ses_03.pdf

A handy read! I’d been driving trucks for 15 years before I knew how to set the memory buttons. I set m1 to as low as it will go and m2 to as high as it will go.

I press m1 when backing up to a trailer then when i’m just under, press m2 and in for the pin, that way you get a meaty hit on the pin and the legs are off the ground for easy winding. Just need to be careful not to miss the pin and smash the trailer in to the cab.

I wouldn’t worry about the exhaust brake too much, a lot of them are crap.

Daf’s have a self level button on the dash as well which you can press to level the suspension.

images.jpg

Quinny:
Seem to recall they were just to the left of the clutch on a kind of sloping footrest on the earlier ones.

Ken.

could be there underneath the floor mat and not visible ( mine was on an X reg )

it makes a funny noise when you press it but may not do much more :wink:

there was a post on here a few years ago where someone was having trouble with his wagon losing power , it turned out he was resting his foot there completely unaware there was an exhaust brake :grimacing:

Is there a handbook in the cab anywhere, there is normaly one somewhere, under the bunk, locker ect. worth a read just to familiarise yourself with the truck. If not you could always ask your boss, I am sure he would happily explain how it all works, nothing wrong with asking.

I think with the suspension you just need to understand how it works. When the vehicle is loaded it gets enough pressure from the tanks to inflate the bellows to ride height, when you drop the trailer and pull out, the bellows are over inflated for the load on the axle, drop the air as you pull slightly forward, not out… Reset the suspension when the legs are up. I normally lower it to the ground and then back to to the ride position

Make sure you take the correct truck because a 480 95 CF sounds like a bit of a novelty :laughing:

Unless you are getting right down the box or up in the revs, the floor button exhaust brake on a DAF was only designed to stop the engine :laughing:

On a daf cf 85 480 you have an exhaust break on the floor to the left of the foot well, its just a little lump on floor that you press & hold down to operate. Or you push the right stalk to the down posistion. Doesnt really work that well but thats the locations.

Thanks for the help guys

It is a daf xf 95 (53 reg) ive managed to figure the suspension out :stuck_out_tongue: there is a small button next to the clutch pedal. Is this the exhaust brake? if it is should a warning light appear on the dash when you press it? cos it did that when i drove it yesterday

Scott M:
Thanks for the help guys

It is a daf xf 95 (53 reg) ive managed to figure the suspension out :stuck_out_tongue: there is a small button next to the clutch pedal. Is this the exhaust brake? if it is should a warning light appear on the dash when you press it? cos it did that when i drove it yesterday

It`s a Daf…You will learn to ignore the warning lights :wink: