ERF Clutches.

Drove back from Bristol today with and ERF. Now I managed to stall it twice on the way up before I got used to it . It seems to double declutch itself when you change gear. You have to get it just right for the thing not to “lag” too much between putting gear in, taking the clutch out, letting it start and putting the power gently on. It’s ok when you get used to it. Are they know for doing this, I just know someone’s going to turn round and say it’s got a faulty clutch and I shouldn’t have had it :unamused: . Seems ok to me, just something you have to get used to, but knowing would be nice, I can really argue the toss then :wink:.

If it was an Eaton twin splitter box (There’d be a thumb sized knob on the stick, with three positions on it) as could well be in an ERF, then the clutch has a flywheel brake activated if you push the clutch all the way down. You don’t want this activating for on the move changes, so best not to bother with the clutch once rolling.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
The best way to familiarise yourself with the unique clutches and gearboxes in the ERF is to load your Piano onto a pick up and park it in the middle of the yard at Lynx then just start to play when you’ve picked up the tune I would recommend the ■■■■■ for reverse waltz, always good for a laugh. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
It was probably nothing to do with your driving bud, temperamental might be the word. :wink:

I drove an ERF last week (although it seems to have had a different box than the one you drove, since I just had a simple 4-over-4 with range change switch). Once I left London and lost Magic FM, I switched the radio off as the gearbox was playing enough tunes :unamused: :blush: :laughing:

I never got the hang of changing gear without the clutch; I still used the clutch, just double-declutched all the gearchanges, and if I didn’t get the speed right, I’d hold the gearstick lightly in the “engage” position until the noise meant that the gears were about to mesh, then pushed it in. Hopefully I didn’t put too much wear on it… :unamused: :blush:

i’ve had an ERF four over five which incidently is the same box as on my current wagon which is a daff,not the lightest box in the world but to be honest i wouldn’t say either was difficult apart form going down into seventh from eigth or nineth,neither wagon liked it no matter how you attacked it.if it’s a twin splitter then you should only use the clutch from standstill apparently once used to these they are the dogs danglies.

Sorry, four over four with splitter and range change. Not twin splitter.

i’ve driven a ec11 with the same box and it was as sweetas a nut so maybe the wagon you were in had a fault?
the nut behind the wheel? :smiley:

would the ERF gearbox be a comfort shift? (the re-badged MAN`s)
we got a yard full of the things :unamused: :unamused:

It must be a 16sp Eaton, 4 over 4 with the splitter switch on the right hand side of the stick and the high/low on the front of the stick.Its the same box in my 2001 Foden Alpha,not the smoothest but just give it a little time to go through and the box will work ok. :slight_smile:

paul b:
i’ve had an ERF four over five which incidently is the same box as on my current wagon which is a daff,not the lightest box in the world but to be honest i wouldn’t say either was difficult apart form going down into seventh from eigth or nineth,neither wagon liked it no matter how you attacked it.if it’s a twin splitter then you should only use the clutch from standstill apparently once used to these they are the dogs danglies.

The ERF is a one man wagon and doesn’t seem to cope will with the tidal wave of different drives that a large fleet goes through.

true enough,seems in general with ERF’s you either love em or hate em.
they are basic and don’t have all the bells and whistles of other wagons but as something to go out and earn a living with i’d deffinately have another, infact i might well go to an ec11 in the spring.

What is it wiv you guys and ERF’s… :unamused: :wink:

My old T reg EC6 had a sweet 4 over 4 that just went-in

I drove an 03 MAN (ERF) t’other day with a rangechange, splitter (my first… :sunglasses: )and an extra button, I later found was for clutching on a split… Utterly ace… Didn’t fail me, or strain any muscles… :exclamation:

Now VOLVO’s… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: If you wanted a moan about their puddin-stirrin bi-cep building gear changes i’d be right behind you… I’ll have to start weight lifting with my right arm to compensate soon or i’ll end up wonky… :confused:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

and an extra button, I later found was for clutching on a split

you can use it for clutching for any on-the-move change chrisie, not just splitting. :smiley:

Ragtop:
I drove an 03 MAN (ERF) t’other day with a rangechange, splitter (my first… :sunglasses: )and an extra button, I later found was for clutching on a split…

sure it ain`t called the comfort shift?? :unamused:

Ok, I’ve had the [zb] thing again this morning. Their’s a button on the dash with DC written on it. You’d have thought it’d be fairly obvious if you switched that off, then it’d stop it double declutching and the thing would drive ok :blush: :unamused: . Like you say BigTruck, it just needs a little “time” to work well. Went gently and the thing was fine :wink: .