Driver Sat Nav Aids

Hi all,

I am looking at different Sat Nav devices on the market ive been on the road for some years now using the good old road atlas and the knowledge ive gained with experience but now im thinking of joining the new tech era. Can anyone out there give me some guidance on what works well and is reliable in regards to maps etc. Im gonna be tramping as of monday so it could come in useful.

Cheers. :smiley:

Tom Tom works well.

Geordielpp:
Hi all,

I am looking at different Sat Nav devices on the market ive been on the road for some years now using the good old road atlas and the knowledge ive gained with experience but now im thinking of joining the new tech era. Can anyone out there give me some guidance on what works well and is reliable in regards to maps etc. Im gonna be tramping as of monday so it could come in useful.

Cheers. :smiley:

It all depends on how much you can afford or be willing to spend I wouldn’t have anything else but a snooper yet other drivers don’t like them,wouldn’t be without mine.

I have a tom tom pro truck 5150 and I’m not overly impressed with it. The first time I gave it a proper test was driving through Dublin City centre to get to the port. It was working well until It asked me to turn left at a junction but when I looked down the road there was a very low bridge crossing it.

I went straight and it redirected me to the next left Which was ok and got my destination with no problems. When I went home that night I had a look on google maps and compared it to the sat nav route and had I been able to go under the Bridge it also was bringing me down a narrow street with a 90 degree turn at the bottom that was littered with parked cars.

It would not put me off using it but I will always check the route it’s bringing me on a map first just to be sure.

Geordie.

Get yourself over to the computer forum within this site, as there is a plethera of threads about sat navs.

Ken.

i went with the ebay 55quid jobbie… works well… :smiley:

Cheers for the heads up lads all the best drive safe. :smiley:

Have a look at the sat nav on hgv-trucktables.co.uk this sat nav is great value for money at £60 and I’ve not had a problem yet. Chris the guy who designed and supplied it is a truck driver himself and is at the end of the phone should you have any problems.

[Edited for talking â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â– ]

well I have the cheap ebay job 4 years now for 60 pounds took me all over Europe with out a prob but it struggles in central London
so two years ago I bought a tom tom and used it first time on continent gave it to a workmate that was following me and it was a disaster but I put it down to wrong setting by myself
got rid of it
so two weeks ago still have the orginal ebay one and bought a tom tom again
have been on outskirts of London (surrey) and it not great diverts me miles out of the way but gets me there eventually
have not been to central London yet where I want one to work the best but will be there in two weeks so will update which is best
I run the two of them together but so far the cheap one is miles better

Go on ebay have a look at the used tomtoms with the latest map upgrade in it u dont need a new one its same software,don’t touch a snooper i had a nightmare with one unless you like reversing a mile or two back up a single country lane in the dark. snooper are no good rural,or anywhere.tomtom bang on

I recently borrowed a Friends sat naff a tom tom, and it couldn’t find the address entered but after i had found the road all of a sudden it’s there, and it tried to direct me a indirect route to a place too, nice to see that they haven’t improved any,

I have the Snooper S7000.If you are nights out,the freeview tv is very vood.
The picture is good quality.
Hands free pairing with a mobile so you talk to the sat nav.16 multidrops.
Road closures and other information.
They sell Snoopers at most Msa’s at Phonebitz shops.
Ask for a discount.I got £40 off.
Not let me down so far.

I got one of those eBay ones it’s good enough biggest let down is the partial post code bit. I’ve gone back to my Tomtom

chester1:
I got one of those eBay ones it’s good enough biggest let down is the partial post code bit. I’ve gone back to my Tomtom

They take the full postcode, you have to press space after the 1st bit if I remember correctly.

I have a Tomtom 540 running truck navcore and maps. It’s not perfect, but it also doesn’t let me hit bridges.

If I know that the Tomtom has routed me wrong, then I know the area, in which case I don’t use the Tomtom, if I don’t know the area and follow the Tomtom, I will get there in 1 piece.

A few places the Tomtom is particularly bad:
Central London - it doesn’t understand timed restrictions, so will divert you around them all as best it can.
Westinghouse Road in Trafford Park - for some reason it really doesn’t like this road, will keep trying to send you to the main drag instead - the Chinese 1 does this too.
Stourton in Leeds - if you’re going Maritime’s yard for example, it takes you off at the correct junction but then will try and send you down to near the BP garage to turn right instead of just turning right at the Jet garage.

I’ve had other similar issues but common sense and a sense of direction and looking at the map (even the Tomtom map) has always got me to my destination with minimal fuss

toby1234abc:
I have the Snooper S7000.If you are nights out,the freeview tv is very vood.
The picture is good quality.
Hands free pairing with a mobile so you talk to the sat nav.16 multidrops.
Road closures and other information.
They sell Snoopers at most Msa’s at Phonebitz shops.
Ask for a discount.I got £40 off.
Not let me down so far.

I’ve just bought an S8000 second hand for £100, only a year old, whats the difference between the 7000 and the 8000?