Double manning?

Hey all, i might sound a bit stupid here but tomorrow 2 of us are going lancs-dover and back. We normally do local work only but we aint got a clue about how the tacho works with 2 drivers. Its a scania with analogue behind steering wheel. Can anybody help explaining the basics? Thanks

Both of you fill in a tacho chart if its analogue tacho head for 2 drivers then

The 2nd drivers chart is put in the 2nd drivers recorder (Open the tacho head as per normal and then where you normally put your chart it will open another thin strip for the 2nd chart to be inserted)

The 2nd chart is recorded with Rest whilst the 1st chart is recorded with duty i.e driving, each time you change drivers just swap the discs from driver 1 to 2 so the main recorder is recording the driving on the appropriate card

If its only a single tacho head then both fill out a chart and whoever is driving puts their chart in, when you change over swap discs.

Whoever is the 2nd driver just manually marks the rear of their chart with start time and break for the times the chart is not in the tacho.

Each Driver has 4.5 hrs driving before needing a break as ussual, however, you could drive for 4.5 hrs then change over and take your 45 minutes break whilst the 2nd man is driving, obviously thats the extreme as you both want to stop and have a sensible tea or coffee break at some point

How long does it take double teams of Continental Express drivers to get to Gibraltar.

toby1234abc:
How long does it take double teams of Continental Express drivers to get to Gibraltar.

Will that not depend on which route they take & ferry

In a car it took my single ( well with 2 young kids ) 12 hrs from Santander - Malaga if that any help

DD has covered it fairly well but you should be careful that you are not attacked by the ‘Politically Correct Brigade’…Double Manning,well old hat in todays modern world expect Harriet Harperson MP would far prefer ‘Double Personning’.

I am trying really hard to avoid any mention of double ending but it’s proving jolly difficult.

Two person driving instead of Double manning :unamused: :unamused:

Cheers Davey

Just had a quick look before i finished and i think i’ve got it sussed!

Boss asked me at dinner if id set off this afternoon on my own and stay in a travelodge (daycab).
Quickly said no, coz last time the looks i got off other drivers as i made my way through to hotel i thought i was gonna get filled in! :open_mouth:

thewheel:
Cheers Davey

Just had a quick look before i finished and i think i’ve got it sussed!

Boss asked me at dinner if id set off this afternoon on my own and stay in a travelodge (daycab).
Quickly said no, coz last time the looks i got off other drivers as i made my way through to hotel i thought i was gonna get filled in! :open_mouth:

I quite like a night out, even if we have a sleeper we get stuck in a hotel :smiley:
Obviously nights out aren’t common.

toby1234abc:

couldn’t tell you that but it took us 20.5 hours driving from just outside of Murcia to St Malo port going via Madrid to reload.

Davey Driver:
Both of you fill in a tacho chart if its analogue tacho head for 2 drivers then

The 2nd drivers chart is put in the 2nd drivers recorder (Open the tacho head as per normal and then where you normally put your chart it will open another thin strip for the 2nd chart to be inserted)

The 2nd chart is recorded with Rest whilst the 1st chart is recorded with duty i.e driving, each time you change drivers just swap the discs from driver 1 to 2 so the main recorder is recording the driving on the appropriate card

If its only a single tacho head then both fill out a chart and whoever is driving puts their chart in, when you change over swap discs.

Whoever is the 2nd driver just manually marks the rear of their chart with start time and break for the times the chart is not in the tacho.

I heard that instead of 9 hours driving, the driving time is reduced to 8 hours each? maybe i am wrong?

Each Driver has 4.5 hrs driving before needing a break as ussual, however, you could drive for 4.5 hrs then change over and take your 45 minutes break whilst the 2nd man is driving, obviously thats the extreme as you both want to stop and have a sensible tea or coffee break at some point

21 hours duty max
just drive for 3 then swop easy shift
forget coffee breaks take your own

animal:

toby1234abc:

Hello it takes 17 hours border to border load burton latimer first stop Castets then on down to the gates of Gib So BL to first stop 17 then gib 17 so run plus reload 1 week. Smell that rubber
Will that not depend on which route they take & ferry

In a car it took my single ( well with 2 young kids ) 12 hrs from Santander - Malaga if that any help

toby1234abc:

We run the train its fast can beat ST by nearly a day…when we pulled out of Aylesford you could make Sunbilla in one go. Now its 17 hours england Km 12 forest road castets and then 17 to gib Unless you are following Circus dwarf he is scared of mountains