double deckers

i heard today that its ok
to put 60% of your load weight on the top deck
ooh err mother

Who said that then?
Obviously someone who has not much milage with “dekkers”.
“Twitchy ring” is a phrase that springs to mind!

Max weight I have seen, according to the signage, SWL 10 tonnes evenly spread, on top deck.

NOT ON YR NELLY!! i wouldn’t take it out the yard!! :open_mouth:

ivor biggin:
NOT ON YR NELLY!! i wouldn’t take it out the yard!! :open_mouth:

That is what is written on the side of the top deck.

SWEDISH BLUE:
Max weight I have seen, according to the signage, SWL 10 tonnes evenly spread, on top deck.

To make it stable & safe to drive, how much should be on the bottom deck with 10 tonnes on the top deck?

peirre:

SWEDISH BLUE:

To make it stable & safe to drive, how much should be on the bottom deck with 10 tonnes on the top deck?

5 tonnes. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

If the outfit is over 6 axles, Max weight would be 44 tonnes. 10 on top, leaves 34 tonnes. If the outfit is 14 tonnes, there would be 20 tonnes on botton deck. Weight of outfit is guesswork.

SWEDISH BLUE:
If the outfit is over 6 axles, Max weight would be 44 tonnes. 10 on top, leaves 34 tonnes. If the outfit is 14 tonnes, there would be 20 tonnes on botton deck. Weight of outfit is guesswork.

when i worked for a truck & trailer rental company, i delivers loads of deckers

the truck and trailer combined weight was in most cases 17 to 18 ton left 26 ton for load and most of the top decks had a sign saying 6 to 8 to on top deck evenly distributed

60% of 26 tons is 15.6 ton and if you want to put that much weight on the top deck i would say you will be on the deck at the first roundabout :slight_smile:

hitch:
ooh err mother

Yeah - and I’ll bet you it was a forklift driver that told you that one! :imp:

I’ve been driving the double deckers for years - take it from me, the majority of the weight goes on the bottom deck…and you should still take it easy at those junctions and roundabouts!

All the best.

ANDY1961:

hitch:
ooh err mother

from a pallet network in the east midlands too,i bet :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

didnt some one on here a while back post something about a double decker having pallets strapped to the top of the trailer as well. he hit the first tree as he left the yard and promplty turned back :exclamation: :question: :question:

EDIT: found it

CLICKY CLICKY

Some of the deckers I pull theres more cages on the top than the bottom. When I was shunting back at Reed boardall 8years ago The had a issue about overloading the deckers but there wasnt alot of pallets on the top deck.

Thetaff:

ANDY1961:

hitch:
ooh err mother

from a pallet network in the east midlands too,i bet :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

thats possible,as Pallet Network would put you 70% on Top,20% on rear and rest spreed out :grimacing:

Mind I did a 2 day assesment at Gist and when we got to deckers he said it was best to have more weight on the top deck, when I asked how he came to that conclusion he said look at car transporters, they have more cars on top.

No experience at all on transporters but surely they have a different weight transfer.

When I did the whisky there would have been around 13 ton on both decks and it was fine, taking your time on roundabouts and junctions was imperative, though you had little option as it took about ten minutes to pick up speed again.

On a high sided curtain I suppose the weight is 50/50 also but I don`t think I would ever be happy with 40/60.

When i drove car transporters first time i had cars on top deck only i was very wary but it was very stable (as long as you weren’t stupid) but still preffered the bottom decks full and top empty if i could

The Deker double decker I used om friday said 2.5tonnes on top and that it must be evenly distributed :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

this came from an Argos trainer assesor
who had been told Cartwrights had hurled a decker round MIRA
loaded thus and had had no problems

it came about when some guys were discussing double ups (split loads) when using a decker
its all too covuluted to discuss at present

but short of it is according to trainer
until they Argos have seen good documentary proof its by your beds as you were
more weight on the bottom

and if you have to shift whole loads to do drop thats gonna be the order of the day

Here’s one I took to Tesco Wick last Thursday.Dairy and meat at front of top deck and 8 cages of frozen at the rear(hence the mist).Bottom deck was 15 cages of bread,fruit and produce.IIRC,78 cages and dollies in total.Didn’t handle too bad,but the trailer EBS was working overtime :unamused: :laughing:

Signs in the trailer don’t recommend any weight limits,just max.number of cages-45 top deck,30 bottom deck.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14150
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12519