double deck trailers

think ive got to use one of these for the 1 st time, from what ive been told its going to be full of washing machines,
im a bit bothered as i keep reading horror stories of how easy they are to tip over so anyone got any good advice ,thanks

Drive slower around bends ! ! !
Is that the sort of thing your after?? :smiley: .

If a decker is loaded properly, then you shouldn’t have any problems with it. Just take it gently to start with, until you get a feel for how it handles.
Talk to the regular drivers about how things are done.
Look in your mirrors, as you turn gently in the yard, if the trailers inside wheels are lifting, very gingerly put it back on the bay. Go back into the warehouse and suggest they reload it with the heavy stuff on the bottom deck, light on the top.
Don’t take no for an answer.

If it gets windy, when you start to get worried about getting blown over, because of the way your being blown about, park up. Its a much bigger sail and there’s much less room underneath for the air to escape, so your more likely to be blown over, I think.
I don’t drive a decker full time and happily have never been out with one in strong winds, yet. So I’m not 100% sure about that last bit.

Refuse to drive it. They should be banned off the roads cos it is normally them that close the M25 or other main routes.

The scene. A long trail of splintered wood, packaging and paper. Then a heap of twisted steel and aluminium and the remains of 80 or 90 pallets being sifted through by the emergency service :stuck_out_tongue:

At the front of this you will normally get a driver scratching his head wondering how that happened.

The Europeans have a height limit for a reason and its not all to do with low bridges and tunnels.

Emons. Win 2 Win are running double deckers at 4.0 metres

ady1:
think ive got to use one of these for the 1 st time, from what ive been told its going to be full of washing machines,
im a bit bothered as i keep reading horror stories of how easy they are to tip over so anyone got any good advice ,thanks

Just load Lower Deck full and topdeck as much as possible forwards.
Last Axle may be overloaded what ever you do

Simon:

If a decker is loaded properly, then you shouldn’t have any problems with it. Just take it gently to start with, until you get a feel for how it handles.
Look in your mirrors, as you turn gently in the yard, if the trailers inside wheels are lifting, very gingerly put it back on the bay. Go back into the warehouse and suggest they reload it with the heavy stuff on the bottom deck, light on the top.

If it gets windy, when you start to get worried about getting blown over, because of the way your being blown about, park up. Its a much bigger sail and there’s much less room underneath for the air to escape, so your more likely to be blown over, I think.
I don’t drive a decker full time and happily have never been out with one in strong winds, yet. So I’m not 100% sure about that last bit.

I bought our Forkliftdriver a grilled Chicken,Bread and Beer,sent him Home and loaded myselfe.from that on did i Corners as usuall.
But,during i was in Chicago overturned they them,and,i think,…hmm,
There may was shocked when weight pulled around Roundabout and braked.
that is you shall not do,…Physik,You know :slight_smile:

Simon:

and check the high

no.1
check that its loaded properly yes you can break the seal its your load do what you need to do to get the truck to its destination safely

no.2
check the height

no.3
if its windy and you aint happy park up getting to the drop at a given time is less important than not arriving at all

no.4
any hassle just repeat to the non listenening oicks “i made the decision based on the health and safety” act of whatever year it is

Don’t rely on height warning signs to check the height - I’ve been given 15’9" trailers marked as 14’8" in the cab and 15’6" trailers marked as 12’ because that was the internal loading height, not the external height.
I’m lucky, I can afford to turn down any high trailer work and the limited experience I have with them makes it absolutely certain that I do.

I have used a double decker every night for the last 2 1/2 years, and have not had a problem.

1. Keep the bottom heavy and not too much on the top deck. Try not to have the top loaded right to the back or only really light stuff. (Washing machines?) They do sway a lot if back and top heavy.
  2. Get as much weight as possible at the front (within axle limits!) - they pull much better and easier if the trailer wheels are lighter.
  3. Strap any pallet that may move. Because the trailers lean a bit the load can move or tip if they are at all unstable. I’m amazed at how few drivers use the straps even on double-stacked pallets.
  4. Don’t try to keep up with everyone else on roundabouts - slow in and accelerate gently. Braking whilst turning is a recipe for disaster. Same goes for corners/bends.
  5. In strong winds keep the windows open to clear the smell :laughing: (Double joke there!). Slow down and stop if you are at all unhappy with driving it. Watch other lorries particularly at bridges and open stretches of road - they may give you warning of a bad side wind. If in doubt - STOP - there’s no medals in this industry for bravery! If possible load only the bottom deck and keep the centre of gravity lower.
  6. Try to stay on Motorways/main trunk routes as that is what they are designed for. There’s a lot of bridges under 16" out there.

Apparently when they tip they do so quite slowly and elegantly - I don’t know if this is true, I haven’t tried it.
On the plus side - if you get a good speed differential they don’t half make caravans wobble when you overtake :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ttreated with respect and a bit of common sense they are fine - just remember how much higher the centre of gravity is and drive accordigly.

Just remember to be extra careful on roundabouts , sharp bends and cambers .You will be fine .
Stupid wobbly things :laughing:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Gardun:
There’s a lot of bridges under 16" out there

I couldn’t get me gut under that let alone a lorry :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

montana man:
:shock: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Gardun:
There’s a lot of bridges under 16" out there

I couldn’t get me gut under that let alone a lorry :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Oops :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

16’ or 4.8m

Someone’s on the ball today :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

When driving double deckers hog the flipping road!

Seriously. At roundabouts none of this keeping the rear wheels a nats arse away from the kerb and elegantly going round the bend.

We had a driver do that and a car pulled out on him and hit the front of the cab. The impact forced the cab towards the centre of the roundabout and the larger than normal kerbs / paved areas just acted like a ramp and flipped him.

SO even if its a large roundabout. Stay out in the lanes. Gives you that extra room from the ramp in the centre that will top you. Also makes the turn less severe.

Not good road manners but on the test you are told to “take as much as you need but not more”. In a DD you need more.

Sockpuppet:
When driving double deckers hog the flipping road!

It’s my ■■■■ road anyway :laughing:

And when travelling over a viaduct, (J34 Meadowhall near Sheffield springs to mind.) move over to the middle lane until you get to the end of it.

Ken.

Remember some back rub after you have had to stoop to do the bloody straps up :laughing:

paul@midway:
Remember some back rub after you have had to stoop to do the bloody straps up :laughing:

:laughing: Oh yes being 6’ 2" im totally with you on that one :laughing:

Pop Larkin:
Don’t rely on height warning signs to check the height - I’ve been given 15’9" trailers marked as 14’8" in the cab and 15’6" trailers marked as 12’ because that was the internal loading height, not the external height.
I’m lucky, I can afford to turn down any high trailer work and the limited experience I have with them makes it absolutely certain that I do.

Yep,they marked me the Trailer with 15’8",but he had 16’3"

Also make sure you have a 3 axle tractor unit, our firm don’t use their 2 axle tractor units on DD trailers. I did see a DD trailer with a 2 axle tractor unit last week on the M1 and thought there goes a brave man or an idiot!!!

howatsi:
Also make sure you have a 3 axle tractor unit, our firm don’t use their 2 axle tractor units on DD trailers. I did see a DD trailer with a 2 axle tractor unit last week on the M1 and thought there goes a brave man or an idiot!!!

Not necessarily.

I’ve pulled a decker with a 4x2 on light work - cereals / crisps / toilet rolls etc.

I agree that on heavy stuff a 6 legger is a very good idea, but to say that you have to use one without knowing the load being pulled is daft. :wink: