Does anyone use one of these?

nationwide-trailer-parts.co. … st36d.html

I guess it’s more for the guys running with the same trailer day in day out.

But are they any good? We only really use two trailers with our one truck and wondered if this would be a benifit, if not just to keep things cleaner.

I guess not lol

I have had a look at these before, but they are not really for fleet use if your changing trailers all the time, plus you still have to lubricate the jaws on the 5th wheel and the trailer kingpin with grease

coiler:
I have had a look at these before, but they are not really for fleet use if your changing trailers all the time, plus you still have to lubricate the jaws on the 5th wheel and the trailer kingpin with grease

Yeah I’m starting to think they are a bit of a fad, as we only run a couple of trailers off our artic I thought I could be handy, the trailer it’s usually on only comes off for inspection.

I guess it’s more of a faff and a waste of time than just greasing and getting messy every now and again.

I have just bought the same one, but i havent had chance to fit it yet, I will update when i get round to it. :grimacing:

Do they get wrecked if you pick-up a trailer you don’t normally use that’s greased?

How do they fit, do you drill into the fifth wheel and rivet them or something?

Own Account Driver:
Do they get wrecked if you pick-up a trailer you don’t normally use that’s greased?

Not wrecked, just covered in grease

How do they fit, do you drill into the fifth wheel and rivet them or something?

You drill the 5th wheel and fix with very soft flat headed bolts that will come in the kit, these bolt-heads will very slowly wear down over time.

I first had some in 1985, they work very well if you don’t change trailers much; at the time we dropped the trailer when we sold the unit, other than that they were permanently coupled, even for service and MOT.

Jaw lubrication is solved by fitting a grease ■■■■■■ into the jaws, these days many 5th wheels come pre-drilled, if not you need to drill and tap the jaws; if you have an autolube, rare these days I know, just couple it up; if not don’t forget to grease or you will have problems.

each one offers a potential saving of over £300 in grease costs per truck in the first year and a potential saving of £400.00 in each of the second and third year. This is a compelling overall saving of over £1,100 for EACH slipliner fitted.

:open_mouth: jeez where do they get those prices from…