Fifth wheel disc

Typical of me, don’t post for ages then suddenly have a purge on here! Been a busy time with work for me so not been on a great deal recently. Has anyone any experience of using these fifth wheel discs, the one which cuts out having to use grease? Sick of everything getting clarted in grease and dropping into the chassis and was wondering how effective this method was? As far as I know you need to steam clean fifth wheel and fifth wheel plate on trailer first then a couple of bolts and away you go? Opinions welcome please.

Matt.

I inherited one on a used truck the boss bought , ex aw jenkinson motor . I believe they are good if you tend to stick with the same trailer .
Mine was toast after I tried to pick up a trailer that had been dropped too low , we pull a lot of different trailers and with trailer changes most days I wouldn’t recommend them , plus you pick up grease off the different trailers anyway .
Cheers Mike

Mikey D:
I inherited one on a used truck the boss bought , ex aw jenkinson motor . I believe they are good if you tend to stick with the same trailer .
Mine was toast after I tried to pick up a trailer that had been dropped too low , we pull a lot of different trailers and with trailer changes most days I wouldn’t recommend them , plus you pick up grease off the different trailers anyway .
Cheers Mike

I just run two of my own wagons so sounds ideal as not swapping trailers all the time. Any idea where to get them from?

Matt.

They used to be advertised in tge truck mags doughty lube liner I think

This is a cleaner alternative to regular grease if you don’t uncouple the trailer regularly.

Clean the rubbing plate off with degreaser first then apply and use the air suspension to hitch so you don’t get it smeared all round the front edge of the rubbing plate where it consequently gets all over the susies.

Jenkinsons used a product called Slipliner, You need to know if you have a Fontaine or Jost fifth wheel as shape are different.
Link below, no association

nationwide-trailer-parts.co. … ner-vbg150

I have used them for about 4 years now, bloody great idea, no mess, my first one lasted around 2 years, I usually drop the trailer once a fortnight to grease the jaws.

I have never experienced any snatching, or grinding, etc, this is the one I use.

nationwide-trailer-parts.co. … ner-vbg150