Does Age Matter?

Does the age of a truck matter to you or assuming it’s road legal and wages were agreeable, would you drive an old truck? Lets be realistic and forget real oldies like Thorneycroft Antars but say 1980 onwards…
I’d be fine with a Foden 4000 (naturally :laughing: ) but also a Merc SK 8wheeler still looks the biz to me for my sort of job.

hell yeah, as long as its been modernised (creature comforts), and it’s got the following, good amount of hp, twin splitter box, and a lack of a speedlimiter.

Absolutley!! Would love to jump into a 143,a F12 Globby or 3300 Spacecab and nip off down to Greece or somewhere.

And yes,I know about the rose tinted specs etc but they were fantastic trucks, maybe thats why they are still so sort after and can command a healthy price nowadays!!

It matters. Some nights I drive an ancient Iveco with no stereo and a heater that only blows hot air to the top of the cab and makes a grating roaring sound at the o/s window. It’s fast, but uncomfortable … freezing feet and burning head and a roaring howl in your right ear for 8 hours a day.

Other nights I drive a 4 year old merc that is comfy and warm and has a decent radio (although the engine bulge in the cab makes my foot ache).

Age and fittings and stuff makes all the difference. I would take the newer vehicle every time if I could.

Muckaway:
Does the age of a truck matter to you or assuming it’s road legal and wages were agreeable, would you drive an old truck? Lets be realistic and forget real oldies like Thorneycroft Antars but say 1980 onwards…
I’d be fine with a Foden 4000 (naturally :laughing: ) but also a Merc SK 8wheeler still looks the biz to me for my sort of job.

I work to earn Money,and if the Boss decides i need to drive a Liaz then i’ll do it

No problem at all ,last yrs truck was a late 70s ,this yr early 80s,as long as they are safetied and legal give me the money!.
jimmy.

To some degree but mainly due to the ageing rather than the age. I had a nice comfortable Y reg which pulled like a train, but lost that for a W reg ■■■■■■■■ that is uncomfortable and is a boneshaker. I can’t wait for it to be replaced with something more modern. If I still had the Y reg I’d not be bothered.

Kerching before bling everytime.
But not a Commer/Dodge Commando :slight_smile:

The only things I ever had as a “must have” other than not letting the rain in were heater in winter, decent radio and cruise control. I could live without cruise control but only for a short period.

I wish I was still driving my B reg Mk2 Scania 6 wheel rigid. No cruise control or speed limiter,
but it did have a nice comfy bed with a night heater and a Pioneer stereo. :smiley:

Comfy bed and night heater, that’ll do for me :slight_smile: Work is work, but I like to get a good nights kip…

i’d happily drive an old LB scania or a 142/143,ford transcontinental ,f10/12 ,daf 3300 etc every day as long as they wernt candidates for the scrapyard.and i would enjoy my work much more than i do driving the brand new volvo i have now!!

We had an ERF EC11 8wheeler on a W plate (must’ve been one of the last) which I wanted to have but it was sold due to it’s age and nowt else. Lovely motor to drive but there were those who said it was a bag of (zb)hit without ever driving it.v :unamused:

My truck is an 05 with 972811 miles on the clock as I type (I’m parked so don’t worry :laughing: )

I would not swap it for a brand new truck unless I had no choice, then I’d be a grumpy b’stard about it for a long time :wink:

Not sure, I’ve only been driving HGVs for money for 3 months but doing agency work has seen me on a few different machines from a T reg Volvo to a 06 Merc Axor.

I prefer an autobox and cruise control as I’m usually night trunking but as long as they’re in decent order, clean and well maintained I’m happy. To date the worst motor I’ve driven was an 56 plate DAF CF, grubby, run down and a gearbox that was more stir in hope than any expectation of finding one. It was a shame as I’ve driven 5 of this model and they’re decent enough motors.

If it is fit for the that it is required to do then no as the boss is paying me to do job

Not interested in all singing dancing whistles & bells you can keep all of them the plain simple as then less to go wrong

On a slightly different note I had on old car ( could leave it anywhere ) as was an ■■■■■■ 1.6 diesel looked nowt but would start 1st turn of key every time didnt have anti freeze in when it was extremely cold a few years back over the new year mine was the only car in family that would start but they all had much newer cars than me & sometimes would laugh as wasnt good enough for any of them but who laugh last ofter left mine unlocked but it just ran & ran & ran & ran

A lot of our plant operators would rather drive older machines; they cant understand why Volvo and Cat plant of 10-20 years ago will still slaughter any of the modern stuff (with all their electronic crap that’s meant to do this and that)
Back onto trucks, I’ve found some old truck mags from about 5-6 years ago; In the drivers wanting work section there was ads with crap such as “truck no older than 3 years old…” Would these be the drivers now looking for agency jobs? It’s known around here our 10 year old wagons are better kept than some trucks half their age (and on hire for us as we’re flat out).

I changed jobs a few weeks back for more money, I gave an 11 plate Scania 440 for 54 plate globby F12.

It’s loads better, nothing stops it once its going, money is more important than trucks.

I drive a brand spanking new MAN and its been to the garage more times than i can remember because the computer tell’s itself its poorly and it beeps at me during the day , and i dont like it i would sooner have my f10 i had at Offshore transport, spring adjusted seat, dustbin lid steering wheel , comfy bed ,.And when it broke you could bodge it until it got you home .These new trucks have computer systems that can tell if you have a break whilst the engine is running, if i checked the oil , if i wear my seatbelt and has a memory foam bed, which i must admit i gave it alziemers when i got on it Old was best new is ■■■■■ :smiley:

Muckaway:
We had an ERF EC11 8wheeler on a W plate (must’ve been one of the last) which I wanted to have but it was sold due to it’s age and nowt else. Lovely motor to drive but there were those who said it was a bag of (zb)hit without ever driving it.v :unamused:

they had probably driven one before, the worst truck i have ever driven was an ERF, i stuck it not because of the wages but the job had a tied house!! for me its the money first, although in this day and age you can pick and choose to a degree what you want to drive and the wages close by will all be similar, for example if you went down felixstowe the wages are generally the same it depends what you want to drive (well thats how i se it)