Does Age Matter?

not arsed as long as the moneys in the bank we have a varied fleet newest is 09 and the oldest is a y reg mechanicly sound but a bit scabby still have a ■■■■■ n gripe at gaffer for getting rid of the v reg erf tht i drove last time i was there

av been driving a 96 preg scania topline 144 530 for the last few weeks an its great goes like the clappers an does about 58, was out in a 06 actros 460 an still prefered the scania although the merc seat is slighty better, aslong as the money is there an the truck is fine then av no problems what i drive

Well you chaps can keep your elderly wrecks and I’ll keep my new Scania that I wouldn’t give up for anything. I love it, smooth, comfortable, automatic with a retarder, good times. And if that makes me a steering wheel attendant then so be it. I don’t feel the need to make life harder to prove how manly I am!

Good day to you.

switchlogic:
Well you chaps can keep your elderly wrecks and I’ll keep my new Scania that I wouldn’t give up for anything. I love it, smooth, comfortable, automatic with a retarder, good times. And if that makes me a steering wheel attendant then so be it. I don’t feel the need to make life harder to prove how manly I am!

Good day to you.

We had an R440 Topline on demo back in October (opticruise); dad reckoned it was a nice motor but his Foden 450 would (zb)iss all over it from a standing start and the Scania was hopeless at getting away at roundabouts in comparisson (but the R440 had a nicer cab but despite twin bunks fridge etc he still went home to sleep :laughing: )

It will ■■■■ all over it to start with. This gets better and better the more km’s it does, to the point it’ll give our 500’s a run for their money. All things need time to bed it a bit and find their feet, also did he have it in power mode? Can be a bit sluggish in normal auto when heavy

mark h:
av been driving a 96 preg scania topline 144 530 for the last few weeks an its great goes like the clappers an does about 58, was out in a 06 actros 460 an still prefered the scania although the merc seat is slighty better, aslong as the money is there an the truck is fine then av no problems what i drive

Is this truck green and on irish plates by any chance is it,a 4x2 pulling containers,as there was one in our yard tipping today as it happens and broke down in the middle of our yard,all our trucks had to drive around it as it was in the way.

The driver didn’t look to happy :laughing:

It depends on the make I’d rather drive a 20 year old Volvo that 5 year old iveco or man. Build quality is more important than age in my book

cons77:

mark h:

Is this truck green and on irish plates by any chance is it,a 4x2 pulling containers,as there was one in our yard tipping today as it happens and broke down in the middle of our yard,all our trucks had to drive around it as it was in the way.

The driver didn’t look to happy :laughing:

yess mate it broke down in the morning aswell the heap ! the shock absorber snapped an pierced the airbag its not our own truck its the bosses mates he has got a decent fleet aswell just this is his worst 1 that is subbing for us :laughing:

I am not and have never been cab happy, but a comfy truck with a decent radio and things that work is more satisfying than a brand new fleet spec truck I have to share and empty every day

Wheel Nut:
I am not and have never been cab happy, but a comfy truck with a decent radio and things that work is more satisfying than a brand new fleet spec truck I have to share and empty every day

Yes your dead right there. There is a fine line to be drawn on the issue

I drive a tatty 04 ERF so its not a problem :smiley:

Newer is not always better, boss offered me one of the 07 drawbars but I told him I’d rather keep my 05, it’s got better gearing, interior and no digitacho, sure the 07s are quicker on the flat but on the hills I just fly by :smiley:

Scratches get noticed more on new ones :laughing:

I drive a 12 year old MAN and it’s on it’s way out but I drive it as the wages hours etc suit me but I’d rather drive a newer truck I had a 10 plate Renault the other day and did fill alot fresher at the end of the day so a Volvo fmx with I shift would hit the spot had enough of driving old heaps over the years leyland constructors MAN 331s fodens and an air cooled iveco 300 30 spring to mind.
Although I have a soft spot for plastic lorrys from sandbach most of the ones I have driven were shagged out and I wouldn’t want to drive a nice one everyday now times move on. I mean we don’t all watch a 10 inch black and White tv or listen to a gramophone and make the mrs use a mangle these days

kr79:
I drive a 12 year old MAN and it’s on it’s way out but I drive it as the wages hours etc suit me but I’d rather drive a newer truck I had a 10 plate Renault the other day and did fill alot fresher at the end of the day so a Volvo fmx with I shift would hit the spot had enough of driving old heaps over the years leyland constructors MAN 331s fodens and an air cooled iveco 300 30 spring to mind.
Although I have a soft spot for plastic lorrys from sandbach most of the ones I have driven were shagged out and I wouldn’t want to drive a nice one everyday now times move on. I mean we don’t all watch a 10 inch black and White tv or listen to a gramophone and make the mrs use a mangle these days

I must’ve been in a privilaged position then; I got to drive Fodens upto 14 years old that weren’t in a bad way at all :sunglasses:

Ok so I had a 07 VW Caddy & it did pass most things but seat could be a bit better gears ok

But the most important thing is I am getting paid for it

Muckaway:

kr79:

I must’ve been in a privilaged position then; I got to drive Fodens upto 14 years old that weren’t in a bad way at all :sunglasses:

My tipper driving days started working for people who thought kerosene was an acceptable fuel and ran on private tax so maintaince and looking after lorrys wasn’t to high on there priority list.
At least my current employer actually keeps there trucks legal no matter what age lol.