Decent Agencies In The West Midlands

Since Christmas, I have registered with 3 agencies for weekend class 2 work, so that I could save up to pay for my class 1 licence.

Despite telling me on registration that they had loads of companies looking for class 2 drivers on the weekends, surprisingly :wink: none of them have ever rung me back with any work and when I chase them (which to be honest isnā€™t very often) all I get is ā€œwe are going through a quiet period at the momentā€.

Now that I have passed my class 1, I would like to move into driving full time, although I understand that I may have to start of with class 2 work again.

The problem with these places is that they donā€™t work on the weekend so you have to take a day off to go and registered with them and then you feel as though you have wasted a days leave.

Can anyone give me the names of some reputable agencies in the West Midlands who will definitely call me back with work, as the last thing I want to do is give up my day job and find myself sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring three or four days a week.

For reference the agencies that I have registered with thus far are:

First Personnel in Tamworth who promised work @ 3663 Fradley
Best Connection in Walsall who promised work @ 3663 & Brakes
Jobsworth in Willenhall who promised work at 3663 & Spar.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ian.

Is cov too far?

Blue Arrow have work @ Brakes in Tamworth.

Infact Brakes are always on the look out for new drivers @ Tamworth.

you could try
go direct in cannock 01543 879888 ( never used them myself but have heard of mates there not bad )
tempstaff in tammworth 01827 315315 ( ask for john )
protemp in tammworth 01827 316316 ( ask for ray )
the last two iā€™m with seem to plenty class 1 work dont know about class 2 though you can mention me as MARTIN said to try them

The company I work for use an agency called ā€œforestersā€ or something similiar, its a coventry number and I know for a fact they use inexperienced drivers with cat C licences for our 6 wheel rigids, Maybe Rugby is too far to travel though!

Hi Ian, a mate of mine has been self employed with Best Connection in Walsall since last October, and has never yet been out of workā€¦ in fact he is often spoilt for choice, and actually does quite well to boot, so seems to me the old ā€™ Quiet Period ā€™ excuse may be a cheap cop-out.

Donā€™t know if the experience issue has any bearing on that, but Iā€™d be rattling cages there mate cos I know theyā€™re at least half decent and worth chasing up.

HTH

Mike :smiley:

Iā€™d probably give DriverHire a shot, I worked for Brum for a while - but regularly got shifts for other offices as well through them.

Basically register with as many as you need to until you are getting enough work. Agencies that work for one person, might not be so hot for someone else. Just depends when you get on their books !!!

G

hi ian im a new member been driving rigids for two years now mainly agency now on a temp to perm position.ive worked for few different agencies 24/7 staff erdington,best conection birmingham,but probably the best one was pertemps in birmingham city centre they got me start very next week after i passed class 2 also pay best rates Ā£8+ ph they want refs though but they are a proper agency.ask for steve,best conection ok if you dont mind sillyoclock starts at british bakeries there always looking for drivers class1+2 crap work but its all year round work. id also try manpower there on dudley high st ,not worked for them but apparently they give you fixed term contracts,holiday pay,sick pay,stakeholder pension and share scheme after 12 months.(well thats what they advertise on there web-site) unfortunately havent got phone numbers,as a smashed my moby when dropping the bunk thursday night! gota wait till tuesday for new phone oh almost forgot dont bother with DRIVEN i did a 7.5ton gig for them one day an got paid Ā£5.75 ph! needless to say never went back.a decent agency will always pay you your regular rate no-matter what the job,van 7.5t etc.if they dont then WALK AWAY cos if id have known better id of stayed in bed that day,bloody friday aswell! good luck

I saw this in the paper the other day :-

With the planned opening of a new Ā£63m purpose-built site for Tesco at Fradley Park, where 1000 people will be employed, ADR Network is delighted to have been nominated as the sites leading supplier of agency drivers who will compliment the sites permanant driver rescource.
Formal recruitment of drivers will commence during mid July but the company does have a recruitment hotline for ant driver who wishes to register an immidiate interest.
Any LGV class1 driver looking to be part of an exciting depot start up should contact Dave Biswell on 08000 374837

Now, i dont know anyone using them or how good they are, just thorght iā€™d let you know what was in the paper.
What i DO know is several people who are good drivers have had the knockback from Tesco without even getting through to the interview stage so it may seem mainly agency driven with a FEW of their own, but i could be wrong.