Damn it!!

Well my worst nightmare came true yesterday and it was all my own fault.

Ever since passing my Class 1 last September I’ve dreaded losing a trailer so have always been extra careful when hitching up. So this is what happened last night.

After tipping at Knutsford I got a call asking me to take the empty trailer to Ciba at Low Moor (Bradford) and pick up a loaded one to bring back to Humber Sea Terminal.
Got to Ciba just as the sky went black and the heavens opened so sat in cab and waited for the rain to subside before reversing the empty into a bay. Did the necessarys, jumped into cab. started to slowly pull away and I could feel something stopping me. Got out to have a look and saw that one of the hooks on the underside of the trailer had caught on the 5th wheel handle and was bending the handle back.
Got out from under the trailer and there I am with a nicely bent handle. Borrowed a pair of stilsons and got it back to a reasonable shape then went round to Gate 14 for the loaded trailer. Reversed under, engaged and then tugged forward 6 times to make sure that all was well.

Got to the T junction of New Works Road and Cleckheaton Road and as I pulled forward to turn right I found myself trailerless and heading for the George’s car park.

Well of course everybody comes rushing out of the pub for a look and to offer advice. I have to say that 3 lads really did make themselves useful and were directing traffic as I was making the necessary phone calls.

Cops arrived, checks were made and eventually they decided that no further action would be taken. Keith Petty arrived to move the trailer and I went home solo with my tail very much between my legs. :blush: :blush: :blush:

Another lesson learned. My god this is a steep learning curve. I’m just very thankful that I lost it there and not a few miles further on when I would have been on the M62

So what caused the trailer loss? <edit - ah I see now, thought you meant a straping point hook.>

Bending the handle is probably a good example of why it’s good to use the tractors air suspension to raise/lower the fifth wheel before (dis)engageing the pin.

It doesn’t matter how many times you tug the trailer, if you’ve recently had problems with the pin handle - like you just had - then you should have been extra vigilant that it could have been damaged. You should have got under the trailer and looked to make sure the jaws had closed behind the pin, then put the dog clip on.

It wouldn’t have come off then :wink: .

Bet you don’t forget to double check it next time :stuck_out_tongue: .

It could of course be that the kingpin had ridden over the 5th wheel plate and was just located on the cab side, hence when tugging in forward gear it would feel like the trailer was atttached, I have seen a couple of trailers dropped on there knees because of this. But as you said it is a steep learning curve and even with a few years under your belt you will still make the odd booboo.

No smcaul it had engaged 'cos I did get out to make sure it was in properly. As you come out of Gate 14 its a sharp right and uphill and there were no problems there.

Rob. Double check■■? And the rest!!!

Its not the first trailer to ever come off and it wont be the last .
As long as the jaws have engaged and you have the clip in and the trailer still comes off it isnt your fault its an unavoidable mechanical fault .
No clip in then your having it up trap 2 by the law .
It happens …
I never used to trust draw bar hitches always checking the mirrors to see if it was still there :open_mouth: :laughing:

As Paul has all ready posted if your clip was in,thats if you do not have one of those newer types with out this carabina clip, and you saw that the jaws were in the locked position, it is down then a mechamical fault and this can happen any time unfortunatly that is why ,the VOSA;DFT; HAVE INSISTED that this inspection and service is carried out reguarly and a record is kept,and further more why one has a defect report ti fillout by the driver as this will hopefully allow preventive action before such accidents happen,
I can honsestly say that I do look every time under and at the 5th wheelcoupling to ensure that it is closed correctly ,as unfortunatly we have
had this happen ,thankfully only to drivers on the yard,
try to clear you mind of any feelings that it was your fault as you showed that you done every thing correctly and if you had not then the boys in blue would have acted completely different, so relax mate,

Rob K:
It doesn’t matter how many times you tug the trailer, if you’ve recently had problems with the pin handle - like you just had - then you should have been extra vigilant that it could have been damaged. You should have got under the trailer and looked to make sure the jaws had closed behind the pin, then put the dog clip on.

It wouldn’t have come off then :wink: .

Bet you don’t forget to double check it next time :stuck_out_tongue: .

i wish i was even half as perfect as you rob - bloody yorkshiremen :wink:
and no, i’ve never managed that particular trick, many others but not that…

I always get under the trailer and look into the jaws, even on a bright day this means taking a torch, and I’ve never lost a trailer yet - apart from that time in Newport cattle market after a night in digs when some wag pulled the pin on me :cry: . But the trailer never moved, just stayed where it was - on its knees :cry: .

Glad the only casualty was embarrassement Tezza :laughing:

Salut, David.

Spardo:
I always get under the trailer and look into the jaws, even on a bright day this means taking a torch…

Dave, have you been spending a lot of time in the company of scanny77 recently ? :confused:

:sunglasses:

Rob K:

Spardo:
I always get under the trailer and look into the jaws, even on a bright day this means taking a torch…

Dave, have you been spending a lot of time in the company of scanny77 recently ? :confused:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Errrr…why■■?

Salut, David.

Dog clip? Our trucks are bought in Germany, (Merc Actros) and they don’t have dog clips instead there is a lever behind handle which you lift up. Does this then fall foul of English law? :confused:

Mine doesnt have a dog clip either. I had a similar situation when I picked a trailer up, The ferry lashing rings had caught the locking lever and twisted it. Of course being a Yorkshireman and bloody perfect I noticed it :stuck_out_tongue:

If in any doubt about damage you have caused, ring someone to get it checked, even a false alarm will be cheaper than getting the trailer recovered by someone else. It also helps if you are from Yorkshire and can ■■■■ eggs :stuck_out_tongue:

A warning about this type of 5th wheel, Mine is a GF made by Georg Fischer and they do not have steel inserts in the jaws, instead they have a ptfe collar which is bolted in the jaw. These must be checked regularly when you drop trailers or on inspection.

Again being perfect, I usually do check the jaws are closed. My routine is normally reversu up to the trailer slowly while dropping the unit air, as soon as my mudguards dissapear under the front I start to raise the air again till the trailer is lifted by the 5th wheel.

The next thing is to do a tug test, then I turn off the engine & ignition (ABS) and climb out of the cab, my normal route them is under the trailer glancing at the jaws, I go thgis way because it is the shortest route to the legs :smiley:

Then I can do my walk round check from the legs, round the back and back to the cab.

Rob K:

Spardo:

PMSL @ Rob.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

gonna change the record rob? this has been dragged out for long enough. you have made it crystal clear that you are jealous of my meticulous efficiency. dont worry, i dont intend being on the road for too much longer so you wont have any competition then :wink: :laughing:

scanny77:
gonna change the record rob? this has been dragged out for long enough. you have made it crystal clear that you are jealous of my meticulous efficiency. dont worry, i dont intend being on the road for too much longer so you wont have any competition then :wink: :laughing:

Seems you know what he’s talking about Scanny. Blowed if I do. No change there then :slight_smile:

Salut, David.

i asked a question some months ago with regards to vehicle/trailer faults and Rob (and one or 2 others) seem to think that i go over the wagons with a fine tooth comb every morning trying to find defects. thats all it is mate. it is supposed to be a cheap dig at me :unamused:

And its obviously hit a nerve :smiley:

Who’s next Rob? :stuck_out_tongue:

scanny77:
i asked a question some months ago with regards to vehicle/trailer faults and Rob (and one or 2 others) seem to think that i go over the wagons with a fine tooth comb every morning trying to find defects. thats all it is mate. it is supposed to be a cheap dig at me :unamused:

Realise that now Richie, the man himself explained last night in the chat room and at the same time another ‘torch-bearer’ ‘came out of the closet’ :laughing: .

Salut, David.

instead there is a lever behind handle which you lift up.

I have this plus a dog clip on mine.

i dont intend being on the road for too much longer so you wont have any competition then

Where you off to Scanny :question: