Daf xf 95 overheat

Hi to all
Has anyone any experience with a 54 plate Daf overheating when fully loaded up hills. It runs fine with 15 tonne load but 28 tonne on the A350 left me with a burst top hose.
A few fitters have pointed at the radiator but that is expensive if I could flush or clear the problem. There are 3 rads one behind the other I cant see any blockage between them but I might be looking in the wrong place.
Thought I would check on here before I go and put the rad in.
Thanks in advance for any help.

does it pull as normal or feel underpowered?

if it feels underpowered, check the exhaust brake valve piston to see if it has gone all the way back in

this would make it overheat

can you hear the viscous fan kicking in when the temp gets upto about 3/4?

After checking Shuttles points, and before spending on flushing or new rads, a blown head gasket might be the cause if its over pressurised enough to blow a hose, although it should have blown off at the Rad cap before rupturing rubber pipes, check for water in the oil/oil in the water, a pressure test of the cooling system might confirm gasket troubles. A stuck/[zb]ed thermostat is another suspect.

I thought dafs overheated as a design feature

kr79:

dodgy head gaskets are too :wink:

Denis F:

kr79:

no Denis, that is a common misconception, the head gaskets are not dodgy, it is the sealant on the head bolts that cracks and lets water past, thus knackering the head gaskets :wink:

shuttlespanker:

Denis F:

kr79:

no Denis, that is a common misconception, the head gaskets are not dodgy, it is the sealant on the head bolts that cracks and lets water past, thus knackering the head gaskets :wink:

Oh !! :wink: I do know that new bolts are a bit pricey :open_mouth:

if you get a new head gasket set and a new set of head bolts, it will set you back approx £700 + the dreaded

but, if you ask the dealer the right questions, can get he complete set, gaskets and bolts for less than £200 :wink:

shuttlespanker:
if you get a new head gasket set and a new set of head bolts, it will set you back approx £700 + the dreaded

but, if you ask the dealer the right questions, can get he complete set, gaskets and bolts for less than £200 :wink:

obviously my mechanic didn’t ask the right questions :imp: :imp: :imp:

Denis F:

shuttlespanker:

That’s possible Denis, and maybe he knew, but didn’t think he should let you know that?

Denis F:

shuttlespanker:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i take it from that comment, he stiffed you for the £700 set?

shuttlespanker:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i take it from that comment, he stiffed you for the £700 set?

yep !!!

Think the prt no. used to be STD1447 or similar, gaskets, bolts etc.

Bargain!

The_DAF_Man:
Think the prt no. used to be STD1447 or similar, gaskets, bolts etc.

Bargain!

sold it now :wink: Head gaskets, porous gearbox and constantly leaking air valves were it’s bad points !!

shuttlespanker:

You mean hanky :open_mouth: pervy spanker if you ask the right questions to certain members :smiley: on here you get to find out what to ask for :grimacing: and how to save your self a heap of wonga mmmmmh, :wink: if memory serves me right
And i put money on the rad, do it of you will end up with a silly amount for repairs

Thanks for all your help guy.
I have had the rads stripped out and wow. I cant believe the state. You cant see until there out. main rad was blocked up and caked, inter-cooler blocked and badly holed. Totally gutted about the inter cooler.