DAF LF Coolant issues

Hi folks,

Having major issues with yellow Engine warning message & red Coolant level alarm and temp gauge on full red on my DAF LF

Topped up the coolant with a litre of water but 20 mins of driving the gauge on full red again alarm goes off again, took a look underneath and around radiator etc but no visible leaks but there was white steam/smoke at one point and hissing from deep inside the engine from what i could see. Coolant smell inside cab now and then as well as hot air blower dropping in and out of hot and cold.

I put in another 2 litres of water and drive it back home 40 miles which temporarily brought gauges back to down to middle but again a couple miles from home alarm starts again and gauges on red.

Anyone actually had this or know what it could be?

Heard stuff about head gasket, water pump, heater core etc but all guessing.

The symptoms are fairly typical of a failed thermostat or water pump with the possibility of an air lock introduced when the missing coolant was replaced. The bubbling sounds and steam warn that there is a possibilty of further resultant issues from the overheating which may not be apparent immediately after repairs are complete. Leave well alone until the system is stone cold, then check for oil in coolant and coolant in oil. Top up coolant and pressure test for leaks. Check that coolant is actually being circulated by the water pump. Finally remove thermostat and test operation. Assume nothing, a blocked radiator or failed fan drive are just as possible. Ensure that the system is bled and that the right quanity of coolant has been installed when finished. Carry out a CO2 test after completion or if all other indications are negative.

If you can smell coolant, then at some point the coolant is getting into the air and entering cab through the HEVAC.
Have you tilted cab? Could be as simple as a hose split?

A few of our fleet have had slow leaks in the coolant tank. The other week I heard a loud bang from the engine, and a load of steam came up, really strong smell of coolant, but no warnings on the dash. I called an engineer out and it was just my aircon that had conked out.

All sorts of places they can leak from,
The little short metal pipes on top of the rad rot out
The screw in core plugs on top of the head come loose, also little screw in plugs nearside of the block
Top of the header tank as they get eaten by uv light
The steel rad pipe between engine and offside chassis rail, these rot out
Water pumps, these are great as quite possibly the easiest water pump in the world to change
Very rare is head gasket