Daf 12 speed gearbox

Hi iam thinking about buying a new Daf and i wondered if anybody had any experience of the 12 speed gearbox?
many thanks.

that would be the ZF ASTronic auto box then :wink:

they are not the best auto box on the market, but they are also not the worst either, it is one of them things that you get used to and adapt to the driving style required for it

What he said!

You do need to get used to it, especially when emerging from roundabouts etc, they need a bit more forward planning sometimes. Pretty much like all gearboxes you need to learn it to be able to get the best from it.

Alex

Would you not consider going with the 16 speed manual, its a great gearbox. I’m not a fan of Auto gearbox’s, i don’t think their is any need for them if you drive them properly. Which Daf are you thinking of going for?

KeepHerLitV8:
…I’m not a fan of Auto gearbox’s, i don’t think their is any need for them if you drive them properly…

This is my chain of thought…unfortunately there are more drivers out there who don’t give a ■■■■ about how they drive their trucks, than decent drivers who could probably get better performance out of a manual.

Adam_Mc:

KeepHerLitV8:
…I’m not a fan of Auto gearbox’s, i don’t think their is any need for them if you drive them properly…

This is my chain of thought…unfortunately there are more drivers out there who don’t give a [zb] about how they drive their trucks, than decent drivers who could probably get better performance out of a manual.

You are right 100%, in this case I suppose it depends on whether he will be driving it himself.

The AS Tronic box is a bit like Marmite…

Ken.

Quinny:
The AS Tronic box is a bit like Marmite…

I like both :slight_smile:

They also offer a 12 speed manual as an option.

Get a manual. Autos ■■■■.

thanks for your replies guys but it is the new 12speed manual that iam thinking about. i believe its fitted as standard now with the 16speed and astronic as the options. How does fuel consumption compare between the 410 and 460, i will be running at a max of 30 tonne and a fairly aerodynamic trailer.
many thanks.

I thought it was the other way round now with autos being standard, and manual an option.

Ken.

Q, he means if you spec a manual you get 12 speed box with 16 speed being an option.

No experience of the 12 speed daf manual, presume it will be a 3 over 3 like the manual’s in Scanias. If they’d have offered 4 over 4 i’d have gone for that when I last had a new truck instead of crapticruise. Only thing that takes the shine off my v8 to be honest. That and the salesman failed to enquire if I wanted Durabrites instead of polished alloys. :unamused:

Just can’t understand why they changed it, if you have 16 gears (half of which are only split gears anyway), you can just skip a gear if you, the driver chooses to do so. Choice is king. :smiley:

If it were me, it’d be 16 speed manual all the way. Suppose if the new 12 speed has technological improvements over the 16 speed, this may be a factor although surely they’d apply the newer tech in the 16 speed as well.