Daf manual gearboxes?

We are in the process of ordering a new 26 tonne 330hp daf cf tanker. We dont want the auto box. Has anybody got any views on the manual boxes ie 8 speed, 12 speed or 16 speed. I think the 16 speed is probably over the top for 26tonne work, but never drove one so not sure. Thanks.

Not sure if DAF even do a 12-speed manual (they tend to be found on Scania and Volvo artics). I’ve driven a MAN 26-tonner with a 16-speed and it was OK but 8-speed seems to be the norm for manuals at that weight and even 32-tonne. It’s pretty reliable and I’ve driven quite a few of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they do a 12 speed, ie 3 speed with range change and splitter but thanks for reply.

I drive an xf ssc with a manual box, would never go back to auto, 12 speed.
Sapper

I found the 16 speed in a CF a delightful box, made it into a serious working lorry that would make safe constant progress those hobbled by Arsetronic simply can’t
Lucky indeed to have the choice.

I can’t imaging why you would need more than 8 gears with 330hp.

Juddian:
I found the 16 speed in a CF a delightful box, made it into a serious working lorry that would make safe constant progress those hobbled by Arsetronic simply can’t
Lucky indeed to have the choice.

Absolutely agree, my favourite manual gearbox too and it never seemed a chore to drive

peter1974:

Agree on this point too.

Would’t go back to manuals, ok more proficient, but I prefer the easy options of an Auto these days. :blush:

Juddian mentioned the 16 speed, I assume you mean the ZF box. They put them in the DAF 3300s when they replaced the 2800s with the 13speed Fullers in them in the 80s

They were a lot easier as they were synchro afai recall.
The only problem with the first ones was, there was no safety feature as you changed back down ‘through the gate’ so there was nothing to stop you (not me btw :smiley: ) going straight from 16th to 2nd,… which in a lot of cases resulted in a pile of cogs, shrapnel, and a pool of oil trailing behind you as you came to an abrupt halt. :laughing: Needless to say they modified them.

My favourite box apart from the 13 spd Fuller, was the ones in the MANs about 10 yr ago with the ‘clutch button’ on the gear lever, …as I said the easier option for me. :smiley:

Here’s mine with a 16 speed box in her, put her in 3rd low up the box in low split and just split 7th and 8th . Pull of in 4th when I have Caravans on :smiley: Block changes a pleasure.

Ade

robroy:
Would’t go back to manuals, ok more proficient, but I prefer the easy options of an Auto these days. :blush:

Juddian mentioned the 16 speed, I assume you mean the ZF box. They put them in the DAF 3300s when they replaced the 2800s with the 13speed Fullers in them in the 80s

They were a lot easier as they were synchro afai recall.
The only problem with the first ones was, there was no safety feature as you changed back down ‘through the gate’ so there was nothing to stop you (not me btw :smiley: ) going straight from 16th to 2nd,… which in a lot of cases resulted in a pile of cogs, shrapnel, and a pool of oil trailing behind you as you came to an abrupt halt. [emoji38] Needless to say they modified them.

My favourite box apart from the 13 spd Fuller, was the ones in the MANs about 10 yr ago with the ‘clutch button’ on the gear lever, …as I said the easier option for me. :smiley:

Yes I agree. Automatics are so much easier and are better on the legs.

I had to drive a 7.5 tonner the other week for 3 hours and whilst it was a lovely van I found it very labour intensive.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

peter1974:

Probably don’t need more than 8 gears,but some of the work is in the Yorkshire dales and moors. A lot of very narrow steep hills, some 1 in 4, when fully loaded every little helps. That’s why we don’t. Want an auto. The 65 plate 330 we have now is not good on the steep bits.

In practice with the 16 speeder you don’t need all those gears, and the same applies to most lorries, but you retain the option to split around those ratios to suit yourself with a gear to suit every situation.

Also means you can spec a higher ratio diff and take advantage of cruising on the flat at 50+ mph at low revs.

While you don’t need 16 speeds in a 26t rigid, if the going is tough those extra splits can be very useful, particularly to keep the engine in the green. When I do drive these days it is elderly (380/400ish) CF85 4x2 artics with the 16 speed ZF running at between 15t and at the very most 28-31t (downplated units). There is one particular pull away uphill from a standing start every journey, which cannot possibly be called steep, when the splitter makes the difference between an up-change at the top of the green, or an extra 200-300ish revs beyond it to drop back into the green in the next gear. Perhaps the biggest advantage I find is that there is almost never the need to use full throttle. You don’t have to use the splitter most of the time, but if ain’t there you can’t use it!

Although my first choice would be an auto, if that was out of the question then I’d go for the 16 speed. I did have a 12 speed in a Foden Alpha and it was alright, but the 16 speed ZF was more refined.
I’ve found that the 8 speed in CF75s mean that the engine revs unnecessarily fast. In the CF85s they’re spot on however.
If the truck’s going to be be working in Yorkshire, I’d go for the CF 370 rather than the 330 and go for an auto.

I drive a cf410 eight legger with the 8 speed box and its a pleasure to drive,nice positive shift even though its five years old.
however,if given the choice I would deffo have the 16 speed-lovely to use and and much better progress can be made.
wil yours be a 6x2 or 6x4? for some reason(I stand to be corrected here) but I think daf will only fit the 16 speed on double drives if they have hub reduction axles.ive driven a few with the above set up and they are very good indeed.

I have ran DAF’S with both the 16 and 12 speed boxes at 44t on dock work my present motor has the 12 speed box.the only time in my eyes for my type of work (we are not at full weight very often) when the 16 speed box is better is when you are cruising down a motorway and just need to drop half a cog to maintain speed as the drop in revs is not as big other than that the 12 suits my needs better while on A roads or making progress through towns as the spacings are spot on for my needs so if ever I was to buy another lorry it would be the 12 speed box

andrew.s:
I think daf will only fit the 16 speed on double drives if they have hub reduction axles.ive driven a few with the above set up and they are very good indeed.

I’ve heard that too regarding 8wheelers. Dafs with hub reductions are meant to be quite heavy which might explain why virtually all 8w CFs are only 8 speed 'boxes.
A couple of Earthline drivers reckon the latest CFs with the 8 speed manual aren’t as good as the Euro 5 versions.

I would drive any manual DAF over an auto it’s horrid :imp:
A gap throttle down

Truck finally moves off :imp:

blue estate:
I would drive any manual DAF over an auto it’s horrid.

I had an auto CF440 last summer (8w) demonstrator and it was a great truck to drive. My boss did ask if it was for sale but they never got back to him. I agree that the earlier ones were a bit crap however.

andrew.s:
I drive a cf410 eight legger with the 8 speed box and its a pleasure to drive,nice positive shift even though its five years old.
however,if given the choice I would deffo have the 16 speed-lovely to use and and much better progress can be made.
wil yours be a 6x2 or 6x4? for some reason(I stand to be corrected here) but I think daf will only fit the 16 speed on double drives if they have hub reduction axles.ive driven a few with the above set up and they are very good indeed.

it will be a 6x2 with rear steer, but thanks for the info. will contact dealers to get the full info. we have a 07 plate with double drive but it is a bit numb when getting in tight spots such as customers drives.