"Cyclists v Lorries." Times today

Front page of the Times today, not my normal pick but had to look, campaign to fit sensors to lorries so cyclists are safe, and to improve mirrors to make blind spots a thing of the past!

To show how safe the clown is who wrote the article, he says that many junctions it is better to race the HGV across the junction or round the corner! wtf! Nowhere does he mention that the two wheeled wizards should hang back until they see which direction the big dirty killer lorry is going. No mention either of the fact that once the thing starts to bend, the mirrors see progressively more of the trailer and less of the road.

I have written to offer a physics and geometry lesson, but I fear it will fall in stony ground.

Connected?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80294

Thankyou.

bigdennis:
Front page of the Times today, not my normal pick but had to look, campaign to fit sensors to lorries so cyclists are safe, and to improve mirrors to make blind spots a thing of the past!

To show how safe the clown is who wrote the article, he says that many junctions it is better to race the HGV across the junction or round the corner! wtf! Nowhere does he mention that the two wheeled wizards should hang back until they see which direction the big dirty killer lorry is going. No mention either of the fact that once the thing starts to bend, the mirrors see progressively more of the trailer and less of the road.

I have written to offer a physics and geometry lesson, but I fear it will fall in stony ground.

Maybe its just me, but surely its easier for a cyclist to see a truck that can be up to 50ft or so long, than it is for us to see one of them in our mirrors. It seems a simple solution to this problem would be for cyclists just to stay well back from trucks and not put themselves into vulnerable situation. Maybe that way they wouldn’t get squashed so much.

These cyclist folk are like blooming cockroaches, do you reckon they could survive a nuclear fall out like cockroaches?.

as fast as we keep squashing the little blighter’s they seem to keep multiplying.

I can only assume we need to squash the fat leader bumbling Boris, maybe that will keep them at bay for a little while :laughing:

cyclists realy pee me off, they take no notice of red lights ,get in the way all the time ,i could go on and on!!! :imp: :imp:

One from the Guardian last week:

Nice road awareness…not:

Cyclist in London, nearly gets himself killed.

There are 5 articles in the Times today regarding Cyclists that I can see online. There seems to be this ‘surge’ because the person injured in this article works for the newspaper. The ‘Ruth Maclean’ who registered here is probably just a researcher.

thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedi … 58881a.jpg is the image from one

Save Our Cyclists

The Times:
Kaya Burgess on his friend and colleague, whose journey to work ended in critical injury

Join the campaign here

The reality with any major issue is that it only truly touches you when it comes close to home. However regularly you may cycle on Britain’s city streets and however aware you are of the risks of doing so, it is not until you have seen one of your closest friends and colleagues stretchered off the tarmac from beneath the wheels of a lorry only yards from the office that the vulnerability of cyclists hits home.

Mary Bowers is a news reporter at The Times. She joined the paper as a graduate trainee in September 2009, though her beaming smile and effusive personality were common sights around the office from previous roles as a researcher on the comment and foreign desks.

With a passion for social affairs investigations and witty features, she has a writing style that is as distinctive as her sharp, quirky dress sense. She also has a remarkable singing voice, and it is an honour to have been one of those lucky enough to perform with her on several occasions in the folk clubs of London.

Yet it is only by a hair’s breadth that we are still able to talk about Mary in the present tense. Her survival to this point, now almost three months since her accident in London at 9.30am on Friday, November 4, is down to the passers-by who stopped and called the emergency services.

It is down to the paramedics who arrived on the scene within three minutes, to the fire crews who cut Mary and her mangled bike from beneath the wheels of the lorry, and to the doctors and nurses in the intensive care unit of one of the city’s busiest hospitals. But Mary cannot thank them herself. Not yet. Not for a long time. Possibly never. Because, though she is stable, Mary is still not conscious and remains in a trauma unit. Her broken legs, arm and pelvis are slowly healing, but other damage sustained during complications in her treatment, almost inevitable after so traumatic an injury, will be far harder to overcome, though she is making slow progress.

There are also people Mary would not want to thank. There are the authorities who have neglected to ensure that junctions like those on The Highway in Wapping – or countless others where cyclists have been maimed and killed in Britain – are made safe for cars, lorries and cyclists to co-exist safely.

Mary, a news reporter, would be first to ask why it is not mandatory for lorries driving on city streets to be fitted with sensors and mirrors to pick up cyclists in their blind spots. Or why training for cyclists and drivers on how to share the road responsibly is so poor. Or why some junctions are so dangerous that jumping a red light can actually be a safer option than lining up alongside HGVs at the lights like a racetrack starting grid. Or why London trails so far behind cities such as Amsterdam and Copenhagen in terms of the infrastructure and legislation to protect vulnerable cyclists and to help the drivers who are trying to avoid them.

But such questions are not a priority at the moment for Mary’s sister, Laura Fawcett, whose constant support by Mary’s bedside has been a source of strength not only to Mary, but also to the huge circle of friends, colleagues and loved ones who are guarding her in their thoughts.

Laura said: “I’m angry that the accident happened and that it was even possible for it to happen. Mary’s nurses said to me that, if I’d seen what they see all the time in intensive care, I would never cycle again. It is just so random and cruel, but it feels like so many of these things can be prevented by increasing awareness and changing road structures.

“Mary is such a loving person and a real people-person, which attracts so many people to her and is why so many people she had come to know around the world are concerned about the tragedy and horror of what happened.”

There are many families who are not able to visit their loved ones in hospital, because they did not survive. “My husband had a human right to cycle to work and come back home again alive,” said Debbie Dorling, whose husband Brian was killed in October last year on his way to work.

As a point of comparison: since 2001, 576 British soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan and Iraq; 1,275 cyclists died on British streets. The latest data shows there were 1,850 deaths or serious injuries in the first half of 2011, a 12 per cent rise on the year before. Britain leads the world in competitive cycling; it is time that we did the same for the cyclists on our streets.

Drivers and cyclists need to realise that co-existing safely benefits everyone, in terms of public health, traffic, pollution, and congestion on our roads, trains and buses.

The Times is launching a cycle safety campaign not simply to call for safer roads, but to outline exactly how that can be achieved, in a way that will hold transport authorities and politicians to account. Too many cyclists have died on the streets of Britain. Too many families have lost their sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, husbands and wives.

It is time for that to change.

Something needs to be done

The Times:
In his work with the air ambulance and as a trauma surgeon in the capital, Major Thomas König has witnessed enough serious injuries sustained by cyclists to convince him that they need far greater protection.

“I’m beginning to feel more and more that something needs to be done,” he said. “Cycle safety can be seen as a political hot potato, but we clinicians are the ones seeing injured cyclists on a day-to-day basis. If this was an infectious disease and we sat by and did nothing about the casualty toll, we would be taken to task.

“You see a whole scope of cycling injuries, from grazes to people whose lower limbs have been run over or who end up in hospital for two or three months with a broken pelvis. But with some injuries, such as when a lorry has just turned across a cyclist and driven straight over their pelvis or chest, the cyclist will still be conscious and be slowly dying in front of you.

“You do your absolute best to get them to a place of safety as quickly as possible, but you are fighting a battle from the get-go and everyone involved has to be on the top of their game to save that person’s life. And even if you do, there is such a long road of complex surgery and teaching them to walk and speak again and knowing they may never go back to work.”

The wife of one of Major König’s colleagues was one of those who treated the Times reporter Mary Bowers at the scene of her accident in November and is one of the people to whom she owes her life.

“Working with the air ambulance,” Major König said, “we deal with falls from height, shootings and stabbings, high-speed motor crashes, and can bypass local hospitals to get them into a major trauma centre.With most of those injuries, it’s a young man’s game – it tends to be young men who drive too fast, drink too much and get into fights. But with cycling injuries, it’s everyone, both young and old, male and female.

“As a trauma surgeon – and as a cyclist – I can see that asking cyclists to share the Embankment with heavy goods vehicles on a cold, rainy night is going to end in horrible mistakes. London is a city where one tiny mistake as a cyclist can cost you your life because cyclists are given so little room.”

Surge of support for Cycling campaign

Riders, Safety, etc etc

So that’s what the earlier post was about then, more of wanting amunition for their cause rather than doing anything constructive??

Its a shame the government cant do some sort of national cull on them, like they are doing with badgers. It would keep the toffs off the PM’s back about re-introducing fox hunting and stuff.

Now what a caper that would be, a whole bunch of upper class gentry with a pack of hounds, chasing Larry the lycra clad leftie down Tottenham court road on a Sunday afternoon. :laughing: :laughing:

So they think fitting blind spot sensors to trucks would help do they? How about fitting a sensor called common sense into these cyclists brains for a start!!!

ironstipper:
Its a shame the government cant do some sort of national cull on them, like they are doing with badgers. It would keep the toffs off the PM’s back about re-introducing fox hunting and stuff.

Now what a caper that would be, a whole bunch of upper class gentry with a pack of hounds, chasing Larry the lycra clad leftie down Tottenham court road on a Sunday afternoon. :laughing: :laughing:

Never going to happen. We are the equivalent of badgers in the eyes of the government so it would be us they start culling first!!! :unamused:

A bike can see a truck easier than vice versa if they can not then park the bike up.I cycle quite a bit I give trucks a wide birth and treat them as though they have not seen me easy is it.

damoq:
We are the equivalent of badgers in the eyes of the government so it would be us they start culling first!!! :unamused:

If there’s a list I have at least half a dozen names to go on it, none of them members on here.

Thankyou.

I lost count of the number of times I saw cyclists in rural areas, pre-dawn or after dusk, with no lights on, no hi-viz gear, no helmet, no nothing. They don’t protect themselves. I enjoy cycling as much as anyone else, but common sense has to come into it. Going into London or Oxford now in any large vehicle is a nightmare 'cos the cyclists just go where they please, no signals, no checking over the shoulder. I was once passenger in a van in Oxford, a cyclist pulled straight out in front of us without looking. When we challenged him on how dangerous he was he just looked at us as if we were mad.

damoq:

ironstipper:

Never going to happen. We are the equivalent of badgers in the eyes of the government so it would be us they start culling first!!! :unamused:

Not much sport there really. :unamused: Some sweaty overweight hairy 'arrised trucker, C/W ■■■ hanging from corner of mouth and a crumpled copy of the daily sport under his arm. If they gave him a 10 minute head start he would not make it past the first (Ooops, edited it to change it to slightly olive complexioned foreign gentleman’s) shop. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ironstipper:

damoq:

ironstipper:

Not much sport there really. :unamused: Some sweaty overweight hairy 'arrised trucker, C/W ■■■ hanging from corner of mouth and a crumpled copy of the daily sport under his arm. If they gave him a 10 minute head start he would not make it past the first (Ooops, edited it to change it to slightly olive complexioned foreign gentleman’s) shop. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

But if you are wearing a stobart uniform, you’ll be exempt from the cull!!! :wink:

After just reading the article, posted from the times, saying sensors should be mandatory to detect cyclists, surely the most common sense thing is DON’T GO ON THE INSIDE OF HGV’S ATJUNCTIONS… Simples…

I was going into Norwich once on a B road, a student came straight of the pavement, onto the road, how I missed him, and didn’t hit this bus coming the other way I don’t know… It was that close I pulled over and stopped him, told him he was lucky he wasn’t dead, I told him if the steering axle doesn’t get you first, the second steer axle will pick you up and skin you alive, thought well he might think twice now… But guess what when I pulled off and went past him, he gave me two fingers and told me to go forth and multiply…

As a cyclist, motor cyclist and HGV driver the answer is simple.
Your health and safety is YOUR OWN responsibility, be aware that as a rider you can get hurt rather easily, treat anything bigger than yourself as a potential threat to your life.
OK?

damoq:
So they think fitting blind spot sensors to trucks would help do they? How about fitting a sensor called common sense into these cyclists brains for a start!!!

+1

DoubleDutch:
Cyclist in London, nearly gets himself killed…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDAYkdlKEGI

■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■■ Surely there’s better ways to attempt suicide?

I did a bit of a video response to the nut jobs on the Comment is Free section of the Guardian article. Well worth a read, a lot of them really are crazy! lorry-driver.com