Cycles v Trucks-Journo' Talks Sense!

oxfordmail.co.uk/news/108655 … f_cycling/
Nice to see a cycling journalist talk/write something sensible.
Whilst on this subject, apparently Oxford University construction projects are starting to specify “Crossrail type” safety equipment on tippers.

The main thing to take away from all of this is that cyclists can never be too careful around trucks and buses. Never cycle up the nearside (i.e., kerbside) of a truck or a bus. The nearside is the deadly side of an HGV because they have a big bike-sized blindspot there. When trucks (especially) start to move right at a junction, steer well clear. They could well be pulling out so they can turn left

This is the most sensible article i’ve seen in a long time, pity very few will take heed in what he says.

Sad thing is its very probable this journalist will be slated for having the temerity to publish such an article,after all didn’t B J (Boris) have to backpedal(oops not intended) after making similar statements,BTW the Crossrail spec, in scheme off things is not mega money to kit out a motor(unlike the silly band wagon jumping Labour Party proposals)

There was a policeman from the met unit responsible for accidents involving hgv’s on my cpc course, he said boris was throwing 30k a month at the unit to stop the bike problems, but he said in 9 out of ten cases it was the bike riders fault which did not go down well with boris.

puntabrava:
There was a policeman from the met unit responsible for accidents involving hgv’s on my cpc course, he said boris was throwing 30k a month at the unit to stop the bike problems, but he said in 9 out of ten cases it was the bike riders fault which did not go down well with boris.

What is the answer? I really think a bylaw/law needs to be passed in respect of undertaking trucks in any circumstances. Obviously this won’t prevent all accidents but might go some way to helping the situation.

bazza123:

puntabrava:

What is the answer? I really think a bylaw/law needs to be passed in respect of undertaking trucks in any circumstances. Obviously this won’t prevent all accidents but might go some way to helping the situation.

i think the bylaw should read something along the lines of

‘if you pass an HGV on the inside, you may get to see your breakfast again when it bursts out of your stomach after being sqaushed’

bazza123:

puntabrava:

The policeman said it was possible to hide 20 cyclists in full hi viz in the truck drivers blind spots, so with that figure the answer would need to be good.

I can’t think of any other practical solution. Maybe an audible alarm when indicator switched on on the relevant side? “Warning: vehicle turning left, keep clear” :laughing:

bazza123:
I can’t think of any other practical solution. Maybe an audible alarm when indicator switched on on the relevant side? “Warning: vehicle turning left, keep clear” :laughing:

that can already be fitted, looked round a lowloader the other day, he had 4 camera’s and sensors down the n/s with an audible warning system if a bike creep down his n/s, that was so he could go into cross rail :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

bazza123:

Firstly, the driver would have to be using the indicator. Second, the hero cyclists would still ignore it.
Can you imagine the fun on the M25 when you start indicating and all Doris in her micra next to you hears is “caution, vehicle turning right”

bazza123:

It will have as much effect on cyclists as the “warning, vehicle reversing” alarms have on pedestrians. In other words, absolutely bugger all.

Sidevalve:

bazza123:

It will have as much effect on cyclists as the “warning, vehicle reversing” alarms have on pedestrians. In other words, absolutely bugger all.

Maybe, but it might go some way to covering the drivers arse. As I said, I can’t think of anything see that could be done.

They put graphic warning pictures on cigarette packets so why not stick a few pics of crushed cyclists on the rear of the trailers with the wording “CYCLISTS, wanna be next??”
Ok maybe not :grimacing:

Darb:
They put graphic warning pictures on cigarette packets so why not stick a few pics of crushed cyclists on the rear of the trailers with the wording “CYCLISTS, wanna be next??”
Ok maybe not :grimacing:

Perhaps a mangled bike? “Ghost bikes” at crash sites are quite common.

bazza123:

We have these fitted on all our vehs the cyclist STILL take absolutely no notice…:frowning:((