CPC Case Study, June '08 - Anyone's crystal ball working?

Looking for some fresh ideas on what’s going to be asked with regards to the driver’s schedule for the next unit 4 exam. Just wondering how other’s who are about to sit the exam feel about it. Does it seem fairly straightforward, or a real stinker? :open_mouth:

jimpwk:
Looking for some fresh ideas on what’s going to be asked with regards to the driver’s schedule for the next unit 4 exam. Just wondering how other’s who are about to sit the exam feel about it. Does it seem fairly straightforward, or a real stinker? :open_mouth:

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome jimpwk :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:** Is [THIS](http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32053&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=) what you are looking for :question: :question:

You are not alone, I am re-sitting it in June. Oh I would say this one is a real stinker and worse than the March scenario! Lots of places to go.

A company called Friendberry write up 2 lots of questions on what they will think will come up in the exam along with the answers for £25.00 + VAT. They are a training company and only their thoughts but some interesting ideas, costings worked out for you etc. etc

G Griffin:
You are not alone, I am re-sitting it in June. Oh I would say this one is a real stinker and worse than the March scenario! Lots of places to go.

A company called Friendberry write up 2 lots of questions on what they will think will come up in the exam along with the answers for £25.00 + VAT. They are a training company and only their thoughts but some interesting ideas, costings worked out for you etc. etc

Hi G, Friendberry knows his stuff and has been in the training industry for a long time.

The trick with the case study is to download and print it off it at the earliest opportunity.
My next tip is that you to read it very carefully, then you can guess what questions might come from the info that OCR have given.:grimacing:

The idea of OCR releasing the case study scenario in advance is that, in the past, there were many complaints that there wasn’t enough time allowed in the exam to fully absorb the info and answer the questions.

Friendberry’s guess at the questions is based on experience like mine, so it’s fair to say that the £25 +VAT might be a wise investment. :wink:

Good luck with the re-sit. :wink:

ROG:
Is THIS what you are looking for :question: :question:

Hi ROG, I’d thought about giving that link too, but decided against it because of this:

jimpwk:
Looking for some fresh ideas on what’s going to be asked with regards to the driver’s schedule for the next unit 4 exam.

It might just be me, but the way I read that is that jimpwk had already got the ADR stuff sorted… :wink:

dieseldave:

ROG:
Is THIS what you are looking for :question: :question:

Hi ROG, I’d thought about giving that link too, but decided against it because of this:

jimpwk:
Looking for some fresh ideas on what’s going to be asked with regards to the driver’s schedule for the next unit 4 exam.

It might just be me, but the way I read that is that jimpwk had already got the ADR stuff sorted… :wink:

Ah HA :exclamation: so is it a case of Careful Precise Clarity on what is asked for :question: :question: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:
Ah HA :exclamation: so is it a case of Careful Precise Clarity on what is asked for :question: :question: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

:open_mouth: Or answered. :laughing: :laughing:

That’s the thing about CPC, it’s very sharply focused on reading the question very carefully indeed, then providing an answer that squarely addresses the question. Many people have failed the case study for the fact that an answer, although true, wasn’t actually relevant to the question asked. Quite often a question says “List three occasions when…,” then the candidate starts to write an essay type answer. The candidate then scores a zero for that answer, because the instruction said “List.” The correct answer to that should read:

1. x
  2. y
  3. z

Candidates will also fail to score if they write 5 iffy answers followed by three good ones making eight in all. The instructions to markers for the question above say “Take the first three answers only.” They simply don’t have the time to read all eight and pick the best three that they think the candidate meant.

At level three, candidates are expected to be fairly sharp, that’s why I strongly suggest that candidates visit the OCR website given in the links in the CPC sticky at the top of the forum and read all the info on offer.:grimacing:

It is a management qualification after all. :wink:

Hi Diesel Dave,

You certainly seem to know your stuff on the CPC exams and I will post how I get on after 6th June, though off competing at a horse show the day after so it will be all go. Stress of exams and competing!

The paper always seems a lot clearer when you are out of the exam and it is a definite case of “keeping a clear head and reading the question!”. If you go off on the wrong tangent - valuable waste of marks. With 2 hours and 8 questions, there is a lot to get down on the paper.

I have the info from Friendberry and it is more or less what I thought in my own mind may be coming up, so will see how I get on. I am doing the course through the FTA but thought as many guesswork angles on where the OCR may be heading - the better!

G Griffin:
You certainly seem to know your stuff on the CPC exams and I will post how I get on after 6th June, though off competing at a horse show the day after so it will be all go. Stress of exams and competing!

Hi G, I only know about the exams because I already hold Nat and Int CPCs and taught it for a while. Whilst there’s no actual law on this, the places where I taught it insisted that a tutor holds at least the same qual as they’re teaching, but many expect one level higher. :open_mouth:

The other info on how to answer the questions was gleaned from the OCR Chief Examiners reports available from the OCR website, for which there’s a sticky at the top of this forum.

G Griffin:
The paper always seems a lot clearer when you are out of the exam and it is a definite case of “keeping a clear head and reading the question!”. If you go off on the wrong tangent - valuable waste of marks. With 2 hours and 8 questions, there is a lot to get down on the paper.

Agreed. :grimacing:

I realise that people learn and prepare for exams in different ways, and that there’s no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to go about it. I’d say that people should do what works best for them. In my own case, I certainly wouldn’t consider having anything else on the go whilst I’m studying for anything of level 3 and above.
My own brain (or what’s left of it :blush: ) just can’t deal with multiple processing requests. :frowning:
:open_mouth: If it were me, I think a horse competition + CPC study = several blown gaskets and fuses. :laughing:

G Griffin:
I have the info from Friendberry and it is more or less what I thought in my own mind may be coming up, so will see how I get on. I am doing the course through the FTA but thought as many guesswork angles on where the OCR may be heading - the better!

Agreed again G. :grimacing:

Since you’re doing CPC with the FTA, you might ask your tutor for some educated guesses as to what the questions might be. :wink:

Good luck mate. :smiley:

Hi DD,

Yes our tutor is very good and will give us her feelings on the questions along with notes to take away on various points she feels will come up i.e. function of DGSA, steps involved in applying for an Operators Licence, sample Safety Inspection Form, advantages / disadvantages of Sole Trader / Limited Company, inhouse / out-house maintenance etc.

The CPC is pretty much a memory game and a case of memorising the Undertakings & Declarations, treating the Guide to Maintaining Road Worthiness as a bible etc. Getting the right angle on the questions helps of course!

Oh well, case of shutting out my horse show and tunnel vision on the CPC exam. I am lucky enough to get time off for studying so gaskets don’t get blown as much as they might. Still, can’t wait to get this over with. Saying that, have to sit my International too!

G Griffin:
Still, can’t wait to get this over with. Saying that, have to sit my International too!

It looks like you’ll do OK this time G. :smiley:

Compared to the case-study, the International is a piece of cake. :grimacing:

The biggest problem with the International is the learning of the names and functions of yet more documentation.
If the FTA uses EOS powerPoint slides to give lessons, I’m afraid there’s no pictures of what these documents look like.

Then there’s all that stuff about incoterms… :frowning:

Friendberry sent his stuff fast and its given me another slant on where the questions might come from. However I’m under no illusions.
Thanks for your help. :smiley: