Containers

I have just been talking to a guy here who works for Hyundai shipping and he told me that early in January,
they would ship a 2o ft box to Europe for 5 to 600 usd.

Now he reckons that In Jan 11 things are going to be even worse.

He also said that they have empty ships all over the world just waiting for freight.

So if you are considering get into container work.
Maybe you would like to do some research.

P.S.
Sorry its a bit vague

lots of ships parked up around British shores

This article from a year ago, i doubt much has changed since. dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive … apore.html

" But the slump is industry-wide. The cost of sending a 40ft steel container of merchandise from China to the UK has fallen from £850 plus fuel charges last year to £180 this year 2009. The cost of chartering an entire bulk freighter suitable for carrying raw materials has plunged even further, from close to £185,000 ($300,000) last summer 2008 to an incredible £6,100 ($10,000) earlier this year 2009."

And there`s me trundling up the A14 from Ipswich last week thinking “its getting busier on the boxes”, as there seemed to be a lot more around than usual ■■?

Prehaps Tuesday`s are a busy day for containers ■■?

Whatever the worlds economy is doing, this Xmas rush is going to be busy, VAT goes up on 04.01.2011 :wink:

Stanley Mitchell:
Whatever the worlds economy is doing, this Xmas rush is going to be busy, VAT goes up on 04.01.2011 :wink:

This is going to cost the average person £425 over the course of next year and there is talk of raising it again.

Coupled with the (long-overdue) cuts in public spending to be announced in full next month, next year is going to be far harder than this.

Stanley Mitchell:
VAT goes up on 04.01.2011 :wink:

Another good reason to be VAT registered, why be the mug at the end of the line who actually has to stand the VAT cost. When you can be somewhere in the line where you collect the VAT in 1 hand, shove it in the bank & make a little on the interest accrued, before deducting the VAT you`ve paid for good purchased, and out the other hand send the balance to the taxman.

Though 4 figure VAT bills at the end of the quarter do get a little getting used to :open_mouth:

portofrotterdam.com/en/Port/ … -64785.pdf

It appears that the container trade is slowly decreasing from the look of this pdf for Rotterdam

*******************************200920082007****2006
Number of sea-going vessels *) 33,352 36,415 37,097 35,989
Of which unloaded and/of loaded 29,200 32,169 34,872 33,059
Ship movements of sea-going vessels 82,354 89,418 89,816 86,087
Inland vessels (estimated) 110,000 133,000 133,000 133,000

peirre:

Stanley Mitchell:
VAT goes up on 04.01.2011 :wink:

Another good reason to be VAT registered, why be the mug at the end of the line who actually has to stand the VAT cost. When you can be somewhere in the line where you collect the VAT in 1 hand, shove it in the bank & make a little on the interest accrued, before deducting the VAT you`ve paid for good purchased, and out the other hand send the balance to the taxman.

Though 4 figure VAT bills at the end of the quarter do get a little getting used to :open_mouth:

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Harry Monk:

Stanley Mitchell:

This is going to cost the average person £425 over the course of next year and there is talk of raising it again.

Coupled with the (long-overdue) cuts in public spending to be announced in full next month, next year is going to be far harder than this.

That`s why its going to be busy, the big ticket items you have been looking at for ages, start to look more inviting, when you can get them 2.5% less if you buy before Jan 2011 :open_mouth:

Harry Monk:

Stanley Mitchell:

Rubbish…

VAT is increasing from 17.5 to 20% which means only those things that attract VAT at 17.5% will actaully go up by 2.127%. So if it is going to cost me £425 then I would have to be spending £20,000 on VAT-able items next year, not food, books etc. Chance would be a fine thing…

But don’t forget it is all Brown’s fault anyway

TC

The_Catman:
Rubbish…

VAT is increasing from 17.5 to 20% which means only those things that attract VAT at 17.5% will actaully go up by 2.127%. So if it is going to cost me £425 then I would have to be spending £20,000 on VAT-able items next year, not food, books etc. Chance would be a fine thing…

A small correction, it will cost the average household £425, source thisismoney.co.uk/news/artic … _page_id=2 and others.

The_Catman:

TC

Absolutely. Anyone who bellyaches about “Tory cuts” simply doesn’t understand money.

In fact this government will be spending more of our money this year, next year and the year after that, in real terms than any government before it.

Why?

Because they have to pay the interest on the loans that Blair/Brown took out.

Santa:
In fact this government will be spending more of our money this year, next year and the year after that, in real terms than any government before it.

Why?

Because they have to pay the interest on the loans that Blair/Brown took out.

Or we could do what everyone else does when it comes to paying back the money which our banks have lent out on the international markets by defaulting on the payments and just tell the lenders to zb off.The pound then crashes and our exports get much cheaper and it becomes more expensive to buy cheap chinese junk imports. :laughing:

Harry Monk:
Absolutely. Anyone who bellyaches about “Tory cuts” simply doesn’t understand money.

I understand money enough to know that it’s those zb LibLabCon crooks running the banking system who are at present paying me 1.5 % interest on money that they’re re lending out at 8 % or more and those cuts are just a symptom of the fact that they’ve thrown the civilised western economies to the Asian and East European wolves.

Wheel Nut:
http://www.portofrotterdam.com/en/Port/port-statistics/Documents/Port_Statistics_2009_tcm26-64785.pdf

It appears that the container trade is slowly decreasing from the look of this pdf for Rotterdam

But how many of those boxes were going back to China etc full of exports from Europe.It’s just a case of the Chinese breaking the European economies and the European governments,especially the LabLibDemCon tossers,are stupid enough to let them do it.

Harry Monk:

The_Catman:
Rubbish…

A small correction, it will cost the average household £425, source thisismoney.co.uk/news/artic … _page_id=2 and others.

The_Catman:

TC

Household sounds a bit more realistic Harry, but I still don’t think the average man in the street’s family spends £20k on vatable goods a year, unless they buy a new car. I know we don’t…

At least we agree about the reason why it’s necessary

And Santa is right - public expenditure will still actually rise between now and 2015, of which interest on debt will go up from £44bn to £66bn - now that is a criminal waste of money

TC

I can’t see any way out of it, we don’t have a manufacturing industry any more and for the last 20-30 years have relied on a Ponzi pyramid growth model whereby wealth can be generated using wealth. We really are in for the most bleak period of austerity and wealth destruction. This isn’t the fault of the present administration although it should be remembered that the idea of exporting our manufacturing industries started under a Conservative administration.

The USA has very similar problems, and my worry is that, as with Germany and Japan in the 1930’s, military spending will be the only driver for the economy, and I can see a new Cold War starting between the USA and China.

Harry Monk:
I can’t see any way out of it, we don’t have a manufacturing industry any more and for the last 20-30 years have relied on a Ponzi pyramid growth model whereby wealth can be generated using wealth. We really are in for the most bleak period of austerity and wealth destruction. This isn’t the fault of the present administration although it should be remembered that the idea of exporting our manufacturing industries started under a Conservative administration.

The USA has very similar problems, and my worry is that, as with Germany and Japan in the 1930’s, military spending will be the only driver for the economy, and I can see a new Cold War starting between the USA and China.

It should also be remembered that Blair was actually a Thatcherite in his thinking and no government since,including this one,has made any attempt to reverse the situation although it would still be possible bearing in mind the comparison in quality between Chinese industry products and those still made here.There’s not many people who’d rather put Chinese components in their car or use Chinese tools or Chinese made aircraft components instead of better quality Euroean,Yank,British ones just ask any mechanic if he’d rather use Chinese tools instead of Snap On,Facom,or Britool for example.But if there is a next war it’ll be China,Russia,North Korea and Iran on one side and us and the yanks on the other and all the rest will follow the Italian example in the last big one of going with whoever’s winning. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

To visualise the effect that the VAT rise will have, imagine £425’s worth of typical household shopping. Anything that is VAT rated. A telly, a carpet, a car tyre, a tank of petrol. Imagine it sitting on a pallet.

Now multiply it by 22 million, the number of households in the UK. Imagine it all consolidated and sitting in a giant warehouse.

Now imagine how many lorry movements would be required to clear that warehouse out. That’s how many less lorry movements will happen after the VAT rise. Plus of course the movements required to move raw material in the manufacture of those goods. Imagine how many people would get the boot if that warehouse closed down.

But as has been stated many times this is because of the financial mismanagement of the Blair/Brown administration and nothing else. We lived beyond our means for many years and now it is time to take our medicine.

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:
http://www.portofrotterdam.com/en/Port/port-statistics/Documents/Port_Statistics_2009_tcm26-64785.pdf

But how many of those boxes were going back to China etc full of exports from Europe.It’s just a case of the Chinese breaking the European economies and the European governments,especially the LabLibDemCon tossers,are stupid enough to let them do it.

The boxes are not going back to China, you can buy a new 20’ box for about 300 quid from China, they go to other countries and folks weld them together and live in them.