Computers

I am currently running the latest version of Girlfriend and I have been
having some problems lately. I have been running the same version of
DrinkingBuddies 1.0 forever as my primary application, and all the
Girlfriend releases I have tried have always conflicted with it.

I hear that DrinkingBuddies will not crash if Girlfriend is run in
background mode and the sound is turned off. But I am embarrassed to say
I cannot find the switch to turn the sound off. I just run them
separately, and it works okay. Girlfriend 1.0 also seems to have a problem
co-existing with my Golf program, often trying to abort Golf with some
sort of timing incompatibility.

I probably should have stayed with Girlfriend 1.0, but I thought I
might see better performance from Girlfriend 2.0. After months of
conflicts and other problems, I consulted a friend who has had
experience with Girlfriend 2.0. He said I probably didn’t have enough
cache to run Girlfriend 2.0, and eventually it would require a Token
Ring to run properly.

He was right - as soon as I purged my cache, it uninstalled itself.

Shortly after that, I installed Girlfriend 3.0 beta. All the bugs were
supposed to be gone, but the first time I used it, it gave me a virus
anyway. I had to clean out my whole system and shutdown for a while.

I very cautiously upgraded to Girlfriend 4.0. This time I used a SCSI
probe first and installed a virus protection program. It worked
okay for a while until I discovered that Girlfriend 1.0 was still in my
system. I tried running Girlfriend 1.0 again with Girlfriend 4.0 still
installed, but Girlfriend 4.0 has a feature I didn’t know about that
automatically senses the presence of any other version of Girlfriend
and communicates with it in some way, which results in the immediate
removal of both versions.

The version I have now works pretty well, but there are still some
problems. Like all versions of Girlfriend, it is in some obscure
language that I cannot understand much less reprogram. Frankly, I think
there is too much attention paid to the look and feel rather than the
desired functionality. In addition, to get the best connections with your
hardware, you usually have to use gold-plated contacts. And I have never
liked how Girlfriend was very “object-oriented.”

A year ago, a friend of mine upgraded his version of Girlfriend to
Girlfriend Plus 1.0, which is a Terminate and Stay Resident version of
Girlfriend. He discovered that Girlfriend Plus 1.0 expires within a year
if you do not upgrade to Fiancée 1.0.

So he did, but soon after that, he had to upgrade to Wife 1.0, which he
describes as a huge resource hog. It has taken up all his space, so he
cannot load anything else. One of the primary reasons he decided to go
with Wife 1.0 was because it came bundled with FreeSexPlus.

Well, it turns out the resource allocation module of Wife 1.0 sometimes
prohibits access to FreeSexPlus, particularly the new Plug-Ins he
wanted to try. On top of that, Wife 1.0 must be running on a well
warmed-up system before he can do anything. Although he did not ask for
it, Wife 1.0 came with MotherInLaw, which has an automatic pop-up
feature he cannot turn off.

I told him to try installing Mistress 1.0, but he said he heard if you
try to run it without first uninstalling Wife 1.0, Wife 1.0 will delete
MSMoney files before doing the uninstall itself. Then Mistress 1.0
will not install anyway because of insufficient resources.

Dear Tech Support,

Recently I upgraded from Boyfriend 5.0 to Husband 1.0 and noticed that the new program began making unexpected changes to the accounting software, severely limiting access to wardrobe, flower and jewelry applications that operated flawlessly under Boyfriend 5.0. No mention of this phenomenon was included in the product brochure. In addition, Husband 1.0 uninstalls many other valuable programs such as DinnerDancing 7.5, CruiseShip 2.3, and OperaNight 6.1 and installs new, undesirable programs such as PokerNight 1.3, SaturdayFootball 5.0, Golf 2.4 and ClutterEverywhere 4.5. Conversation 8.0 no longer runs, and invariably crashes the system. Under no circumstances will it run DiaperChanging 14.1 or HouseCleaning 2.6. I’ve tried running Nagging 5.3 to fix Husband 1.0, but this all purpose utility is of only limited effectiveness. Can you help, please!!

Sincerely,
■■■

Dear ■■■,

This is a very common problem women complain about, but it is mostly due to a primary misconception. Many people upgrade from Boyfriend 5.0 to Husband 1.0 with no idea that Boyfriend 5.0 is merely an ENTERTAINMENT package. However, Husband 1.0 is an OPERATING SYSTEM and was designed by its creator to run as few applications as possible. Further, you cannot purge Husband 1.0 and return to Boyfriend 5.0, because Husband 1.0 is not designed to do this. Hidden operating files within your system would cause Boyfriend 5.0 to emulate Husband 1.0, so nothing is gained. It is impossible to uninstall, delete, or purge the program files from the system, once installed. Any new program files can only be installed once per year, as Husband 1.0 has severely limited memory. Error messages are common, and a normal part of Husband 1.0.

In desperation to play some of their “old time” favorite applications, or to get new applications to work, some women have tried to install Boyfriend 6.0, or Husband 2.0. However, these women end up with more problems than encountered with Husband 1.0. Look in your manual under “Warnings: Divorce/Child Support.” You will notice that this program runs very poorly, and comes bundled with HeartBreak 1.3. I recommend you keep Husband 1.0, and just learn the quirks of this strange and illogical system. Having Husband 1.0 installed myself, I might also suggest you read the entire section regarding General Partnership Faults [GPFs]. This is a wonderful feature of Husband 1.0, secretly installed by the parent company as an integral part of the operating system. Husband 1.0 must assume ALL responsibility for ALL faults and problems, regardless of root cause. To activate this great feature enter the command “C:\ I THOUGHT YOU LOVED ME”. Sometimes Tears 6.2 must be run simultaneously while entering the command. Husband 1.0 should then run the applications Apologize 12.3 and Flowers/Chocolates 7.8.

TECH TIP!
Avoid excessive use of this feature. Overuse can create additional and more serious GPFs, and ultimately YOU may have to give a C:\ I APOLOGIZE command before the system will return to normal operations. Overuse can also cause Husband 1.0 to default to GrumpySilence 2.5, or worse yet, to Beer 6.0. Beer 6.0 is a very bad program that causes Husband 1.0 to create FatBelly files and SnoringLoudly wave files that are very hard to delete. Save yourself some trouble by following this tech tip!

Just remember! The system will run smoothly, and take the blame for all GPFs, but because of this fine feature it can only intermittently run all the applications Boyfriend 5.0 ran. Husband 1.0 is a great program, but it does have limited memory and cannot learn new applications quickly. Consider buying additional software to improve performance. I personally recommend HotFood 3.0, Lingerie 5.3 and Patience 10.1. Used in conjunction, these utilities can really help keep Husband 1.0 running smoothly. After several years of use, Husband 1.0 will become familiar and you will find many valuable embedded features such as FixBrokenThings 2.1, Snuggling 4.2 and BestFriend 7.6.

A final word of caution! Do NOT, under any circumstances, install MotherInLaw 1.0. This is not a supported application, and will cause selective shutdown of the operating system. Husband 1.0 will run only Fishing 9.4 and Hunting 5.2 until MotherInLaw 1.0 is uninstalled.

I hope these notes have helped. Thank you for choosing to install Husband 1.0 and we here at Tech Support wish you the best of luck in coming years. We trust you will learn to fully enjoy this product!

Tech Support

Follow-up mail from tech support:

Dear ■■■,

Your Husband 1.0 has been infected with the Mistress 2.1 virus. Try
Divorce 3.5 to remove present headaches.

Tech support

Please note Kids 1.0 is not a Critical update nor a recommended update unless the user is sure what they are doing ( It is sometimes seen as a hidden feature of any version of the Girlfriend/Wife programs).It is installed entirely at the users own risk and cannot be removed, it is a lifetime update.

However upgrades to Kids 2.0 or 3.0 are available if the user is happy with with Kid 1.0.

Should you wish to prevent further upgrades of Kids 1.0 then we suggest installing a C.O.N.T.R.A.C.E.P.I.V.E patch though these cannot be relied upon as sometimes upgrades of Kids will occur without the user knowing for about 3 months.

Please note that installing Kids allows you a free future upgrade to Grandparent 1.0