Computer says No

Had a fault on my Actros, more annoying than anything else.
The passenger side door unlocks from a switch on driver’s door, about 6 times out of 10 it does not work, makes the click sound, but does not unlock.
So you get out, try and open the door, maybe to get into side locker for straps, and it’s still locked.
The only way to open it is either off the switch on the key (again tempramental) or climb over floor and get the mats all shtd up.
There is no outside lock on door (presumably specced up by our lot as it would be a fiver cheaper or something :unamused: )
So truck goes into Mercs (on 2 occasions) for inspection, I mention it and both times it comes out just the same, and unrepaired…reason being…No fault i.d.code shown up on computer. :smiling_imp:
What happened to the days when garages fixed things?
Is it now beyond a mechanic to strip down a simple door lock system to check it.

Not life or death important granted, just bloody annoying.

Lock barrel is common on most car etc now
None of ours have one 8 merc actros
Any mk2 onward Ford Focus I’ve owned hasn’t either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the central locking mechanism on the door lock which is at fault, its not picking up from the IR key as well. Before totally condemning it though having the drivers door switch tested first would be the starting point.

AndrewG:
Sounds like the central locking mechanism on the door lock which is at fault, its not picking up from the IR key as well. Before totally condemning it though having the drivers door switch tested first would be the starting point.

That’s my point, why did Merc fitters not suss that out.
Looks like today’s fitters are governed by computers as much as many drivers are governed by bloody sat navs. :unamused:

It’s the same everywhere now mate, there are no mechanics left just trained chimps who have to be told what to do by a computer, we have got a year old v4 fh and the air kit has rattled almost from day one and gets defected on every inspection but comes out just the same

robroy:

AndrewG:

That’s my point, why did Merc fitters not suss that out.
Looks like today’s fitters are governed by computers as much as many drivers are governed by bloody sat navs. :unamused:

Strange they thought they could diagnose that kind of fault through the OBD port.
I suppose diagnosing basic electrical faults like this are not taught anymore in main dealers. See if you can get your company to get a good auto electrician to look at it mate, i could totally understand the frustration of constantly having to go round to check the door is unlocked…

Sounds like the servo-motor, is lazy, might need door panel off,and spray liberally with wd40 or Equivalent.

robroy:
Is it now beyond a mechanic to strip down a simple door lock system to check it.

Too busy on the internet telling anyone who’ll listen (and countless people who also dont want to) how the moon landings were fake, 9/11 was an inside job, the holocaust was a hoax and that the governement employs mind control techniques via the tv broadcast if our resident fitter is anything to go by.

The-Snowman:

robroy:

Too busy on the internet telling anyone who’ll listen (and countless people who also dont want to) how the moon landings were fake, 9/11 was an inside job, the holocaust was a hoax and that the governement employs mind control techniques via the tv broadcast if our resident fitter is anything to go by.

Come on next you will say the earth is not round.

discoman:

The-Snowman:

robroy:

It’s flat ain’t it ?

Isn’t it deemed an MOT failure these days if a door wont open!

lancpudn:

I don’t know mate, probably, but the door does open, it’s just a ball ache getting it to unlock first.

discoman:

The-Snowman:

robroy:

No it’s not actually 100% round. It’s what’s known as an oblate spheroid.

Here to help. !

Heisenberrg:
It’s what’s known as an oblate spheroid.

Bollox…

are also oblate spheroid shaped

I’ve found that on our Actros’, When approaching the truck with the key fob to unlock it, pressing the button twice unlocks both doors!

blue estate:

discoman:

The-Snowman:

robroy:

It’s flat ain’t it ?

Well it is in Lincolnshire.

blue estate:
It’s flat ain’t it ?

Ask this lot tfes.org/

lancpudn:

They failed the wife’s car for the same thing about 5 years ago… couldn’t open drivers door, instant failure

It’s 2017 Rob, and the rocket scientists still insist on putting temperamental electronic switches right where water and rain drips the second you open the drivers window :unamused:

lancpudn:

It has to be able to open from the inside, in Robroys case it most likely will if the manual door release catch is used, just a complete pita having to reach over for it each time…