MAN Doors

Hi guys,any of you drive a MAN and have had problems with drivers door not closing. Fitter in depot says its a common fault and he can’t do anything about it. Any ideas

Slam it :bulb:

Might be worth mentioning it to the transport manager as the vehicle won’t be secured if parked thus it becomes both a risk of theft and insurance not paying up (if they happened to find out). Don’t forget to include a written record in whatever fault reporting system you’ve got.

Suspect that’ll spur said transport manager to have words with the fitters to find a solution even if it requires replacing the locks periodically. Money talks and I’m pretty sure a lock mechanism is much cheaper than a £100K truck.

Be wary mine was doing this , complained to the fitter , got sorted went on my run jumped out to undo the curtains went to get back in … Locked out key in ignition heap of s*#t :imp:

thats what i am doing suedehead but think if i slam it much more the window will shatter

I used to work for a guy who had an 07 plate MAN. It had problems with the door not “catching” and I had to keep slamming it it and it got more and more difficult till eventually it wouldnt close at all. It can be fixed but needs a new hinge. Its something to do with the hinge placement being put on an alloy welded plate behing the door struts or something. It bends, causing the door to “drop” and wont close over properly. Cant remember exactly what the fitter told me but I know he put a block of wood in the door frame then closed the door and it “bent” the hinge meaning the door could close.

collected mine from the fitters awhile back, pulled out the workshop, jumped out and went to the toilet, when I came back all the doors had locked, there it was in the middle of the yard with the lights on engine running, he had to open the front and get to the electrics, used a code to release the doors,took him about a half hour, wasn’t best pleased but apparently its fairly common, that was about four years ago.

Yes, top hinge.
Never had a moments problem with mine, i keep hinges lubed regularly anyway, but about 6 months ago (so two years old) a new hinge was fitted at service time at the dealer, so they must check the door for drop as and when.

Suedehead:

+1 slam it like a stroppy teenager in a bad mood :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I had that problem on an 07 plate. On the bay at Argos Stafford slammed it once too often & the door fell off[emoji35]

Our 14 plates are terrible for it. Out of 6 units, 5 have dropped. I think the doors are too heavt for the hinges.

Suedehead:

I tried that and the armrest fell to bits. :laughing:
Looking for a grab wagon on the net, noticed a couple of MANs around an 08 reg with bits clearly missing in the cab.

its been a known problem for years but a proper weld repair by man is an arm and a leg, and they wont admit any liability so far,

Yes definitely the door hinge, mine was the bottom one had cracked and the metal is so thin. If you look at the lock on the door you’ll see the door drops so much it wears the metal which jams the catch stopping it from moving far enough to catch the lock. Design fault on our 2003 ones so nice to see they haven’t changed.

cliffpark06:
I had that problem on an 07 plate. On the bay at Argos Stafford slammed it once too often & the door fell off[emoji35]

:laughing: :laughing:

steviebyday:
collected mine from the fitters awhile back, pulled out the workshop, jumped out and went to the toilet, when I came back all the doors had locked, there it was in the middle of the yard with the lights on engine running, he had to open the front and get to the electrics, used a code to release the doors,took him about a half hour, wasn’t best pleased but apparently its fairly common, that was about four years ago.

You left your truck unattended with the engine running? ■■?

And they wonder why we are treated like pond life. …

The wind doesn’t do them any good, if it catches them when you open the door. I’ve seen fitters use the ‘block of wood’ remedy on wagons before, when I was on Biffa, in & out 100 times a day, but eventually it knackers the hinge.

One or two of our MAN’s are starting to suffer, but then they are driven but ‘Couldn’t care less’ drivers.