CB Radios

right i am looking to install a cb in my fh12 2003 globe. I have been told that there is a cb cable tucked away somewhere inside but does anyone know where? also I have looked up on the roof and there is a short stubby aerial on the N/S just infront of the air intake. I persume that is the FM aerial. Then on the roof there are two aerial mounts on each side of the cab towards the front, still on top of the roof. One of them is covered in loads of silicone, and one of them has a 2’ fibreglass aerial attached on the O/S mount. are both these for the CB or is one just there to look good. Id also rather swap the fibreglass one for a springer. How long should the springer be on the roof as i dont want to be catching electric lines at railway crossings. Is 1.5metres too big? Also on my windscreen on the N/S lower corner there is a plastic thing with a wire coming out of it down to the dash somewhere. Any ideas what that is for?

And finally does anyone have any ideas for a decent 24V CB rig and where to mount it. My spare DIN in the dash has the weigher!

Nick

In my 32 years in radio, I’ve never come across a 24v CB or any similar type of transmitting type of equipment. They are 12v negative ground, so your going to have to find a 12v supply I’m afraid.

If you have a roof spoiler on yor FH, then put the magnet and antenna behind that (Right at the back of the roof so it clears the spoiler.) and put the cable in through the sunroof and find a suitable route to your radio. If you suspect the antenna is too long, get the shorter variety. What you can do is utilise the spare slot next to the radio if you can fabricate a surround to hold your radio, and make a neat job of it. Make sure your radio has a front mounted microphone if you do it this way. You’ll also need an extension speaker so you can hear the audio.

You will then need to find a 12v source. IIRC, isn’t there a 12v socket on the front centre of the FH dash? If so, you can either plug your radio into there, using a Hella type plug, or pull the plug out and using piggy back type connectors, connect it to the back of said socket not forgetting to re-connect the socket to live as well.

Finally, your radio, if a legal type, should draw very little amperage out of the socket, so make sure that you don’t overload it with other gizmos or else you could end up with at worse a dash fire.

Ken.

lorrybits.com/index.php?cPath=168_286

ive got one of these, works well, nice and simple basic rig.
lorrybits.com/product_info.p … 490af32a68

(cheers actrosman, saved me looking for a pic of it!)

Quinny:
In my 32 years in radio, I’ve never come across a 24v CB or any similar type of transmitting type of equipment. They are 12v negative ground, so your going to have to find a 12v supply I’m afraid.

If you have a roof spoiler on yor FH, then put the magnet and antenna behind that (Right at the back of the roof so it clears the spoiler.) and put the cable in through the sunroof and find a suitable route to your radio. If you suspect the antenna is too long, get the shorter variety. What you can do is utilise the spare slot next to the radio if you can fabricate a surround to hold your radio, and make a neat job of it. Make sure your radio has a front mounted microphone if you do it this way. You’ll also need an extension speaker so you can hear the audio.

You will then need to find a 12v source. IIRC, isn’t there a 12v socket on the front centre of the FH dash? If so, you can either plug your radio into there, using a Hella type plug, or pull the plug out and using piggy back type connectors, connect it to the back of said socket not forgetting to re-connect the socket to live as well.

Finally, your radio, if a legal type, should draw very little amperage out of the socket, so make sure that you don’t overload it with other gizmos or else you could end up with at worse a dash fire.

Ken.

you have never come across the Midland 38 Plus?

alan-uk.com/cb/products_cbra … plus.shtml

that is 12/24v

there are also a few others that are 12/24v too :wink:

Think in a 03 Volvo the CB ant is above the passengers head.Simply screw on your antenna to the factory fitted mount. For power there should be wires behind the blank panel next to the tacho, also the ant cable found here, you just have to solder on the pin connecter thet goes in back of the CB. Half an hour job I reckon. 10 10 good buddy!

I was waiting for the answer as to where it was. thats good is so easy but i have some switches up in the din next to the tacho for my light board and the reversing horn. it would be a good place to put the cb so i wonder if i could move them. or i was thinking of mounting it on the dash but thats getting a bit cluttered as it is