Can anyone recommend a good,CHEAP Class 1 training course?

While work is quiet I thought I may as well have another go (failed in March 2008).
Doesn’t really matter where,can travel,just want to do it on the cheap.

Also does anywhere do training just for reversing?

Couldn’t get my head round that at all.

I got mine with Peter Smythe near Mansfield in august and would recommend them to anyone, price was about the going rate (just over a grand) but he does have a very good setup, take a free assessment drive (was when I did it at least) and you may be able to do it cheaper.

Other than that, there’s a “recommended schools” thread on here somewhere, I’m pretty sure it was started by ROG, though he’s gone elsewhere nowerdays the thread should still be there.

Good luck anyway.

Have a look at this site

hgvlgvtraining.co.uk/

When you book your lessons ask about reversing I know that the 1 I used ( Tyne & Wear LGV do )

There is a firm in Belfast who seem to be a lot cheaper than everyone else.The driving test is cheaper over there too for some reason.

I can recommend most enthusiastially FLAIR LGV training in essex. I passed with them, and they were spot on - not the cheapest. but I reckon on my experience the best value. john the training guy is a member on this site too.

I for the first few days could not grasp the reversing, then it just came to me all in my head then was good for test day. Secret i found was to use very little amounts of steering, and then if you were unsure where the trailer was then straighten up the cab with the trailer then make the nessary adjustments. Trust me it will come to you. Dont cheap out on training, always check them out before paying ect, but the one’s recommened here iv’e heard good things about. Goodluck and all the best :smiley:

You could always buy a toy artic ( make sure it does bend in middle or comes apart ) practice “using” or playing on the floor at home

animal:
You could always buy a toy artic ( make sure it does bend in middle or comes apart ) practice “using” or playing on the floor at home

Lol, I got a remote controlled one for Christmas, even though I now drive the real thing every night and have just about got the hang of it, I can’t get the toy one to reverse like a real one- it’s too light and the steerings all or nothing and doesn’t turn anything like as much as a real artic. Just my 2p on toy lorries.

A good instructor should get you sorted pretty quick, try not to worry about it.

darkseeker:

animal:

Lol, I got a remote controlled one for Christmas, even though I now drive the real thing every night and have just about got the hang of it, I can’t get the toy one to reverse like a real one- it’s too light and the steerings all or nothing and doesn’t turn anything like as much as a real artic. Just my 2p on toy lorries.

A good instructor should get you sorted pretty quick, try not to worry about it.

This is true but can help with the mechanics of this to see how it moves but you dont want a remote control 1
A matchbox type1 would be best as in some countries they advise this & in some they supply them to there trainees

brawngp:
I for the first few days could not grasp the reversing, then it just came to me all in my head then was good for test day. Secret i found was to use very little amounts of steering, and then if you were unsure where the trailer was then straighten up the cab with the trailer then make the nessary adjustments. Trust me it will come to you. Dont cheap out on training, always check them out before paying ect, but the one’s recommened here iv’e heard good things about. Goodluck and all the best :smiley:

Would agree that dont cheap on your training

After reading about tests was wondering how much it now costs a new driver to pass everthing up to c+e,i did mine about 10 years ago for about £1000

mac12:
After reading about tests was wondering how much it now costs a new driver to pass everthing up to c+e,i did mine about 10 years ago for about £1000

Try about 3k but that will prob include the initial cpc

But it depends where you go & where you live as I have proven to several of the instructors on here it is much cheaper in the North East than in the midlands or the south

3k when you never no how long untill you find someone to take on a new learner,no wonder there’s going to be a shortage of driver’s

Why not instead of getting a toy lorry,go to Toys R Us and get a ride on tractor and trailer for about £50.00 ?It will be much more useful for your own sprogs or nephews what have you.

i phoned mjd group think there at dartford he told me he can do the class 1 training and test for £750 didnt say how many days training there is though all that put me off is you take ur test at HENDON :open_mouth: i gonna do mine in kent as i know the area the test routes on

Leonard Hatred:
Doesn’t really matter where,can travel,just want to do it on the cheap.

I’ve said this before, but when it comes to training… “good and cheap” are a very rare combination.

Leonard Hatred:
Also does anywhere do training just for reversing?

Couldn’t get my head round that at all.

Is reversing the only fault that was written on your fail-sheet?

Hi Leonard

On our class 1 reversing days we open up the area free of charge for anyone that wants to learn. Next one is on Monday 24th at 9.00am but you have to make your way to Bradwell in Essex. PM if you want to join in.

Reversing is an easy thing once you can do it but very tricky if not. There are however many tricks and tips that make the art understandable.

Hi,hope not too late but I would like to come along to your free reversing day.I am interested in doing my HGV up to C & E.
How does it work do I just come along.Also,is it actually free or do I need to pay a deposit towards a course.Hope you see this
and can get back to me.Cheers!

SteelWheels:
Hi,hope not too late but I would like to come along to your free reversing day.I am interested in doing my HGV up to C & E.
How does it work do I just come along.Also,is it actually free or do I need to pay a deposit towards a course.Hope you see this
and can get back to me.Cheers!

You could phone him

Flair Training
14 Parkway
Chelmsford
Essex
CM2 0NF
PHONE: 0843 289 8157
FAX: 0843 289 8157

May be quicker & easier

Has anybody out there done their training with HGV Advantage?

Very similar website to Highway, tread very carefully!

The ‘47,037’ driver vacancies section looks a bit dodgy to me :confused: