C1+E Provisional entitlement and DVLA!

What a bad week it has been for my two trainees!

Started a C1+E on Monday and on checking their licences they did not have C1+E provisional entitlement. Never mind had a couple of guys two weeks ago with the same problem. DSA sorted it by not requesting the examiners inspect their licences. They had both recently passed their C1 so the assumtion was that their licences would come back with C1+E provisional, just like when you pass C you automatically get C+E provisional entilement - WRONG!

Well following a phone call to DVLA on Tuesday, nice lady said i’ve put it on now so everything is ok and gave the two guys a reference number - result! Er no, Tried to name the tests on Wednesday - not allowed - they don’t have the provisional entitlement!! Phone calls to DVLA - sorry gave the wrong information on Tuesday, a letter is in the post to the two guys - not a lot of help when they are supposed to be on test on Friday!

Upshot was that they didn’t test today and will not be able to till they have sent in their licences with form D2.

Anyone else thinking that DVLA automatically put C1+E provsional entitlement on - think again - the examiners didn’t realise. Of course the examiners took the licences off the guys when they passed their C1 as normal.

Who in their right mind would not have thought that C1+E provisional would be put on!! DVLA of course - I have to say that in this case they have been complete imbeciles in this matter.

Three different people at DVLA gave contradicting statements - my trainees were all set to drive to Swansea on Wednesday to get it sorted, but after reassurances fron DVLA they didn’t. Of course those reassurances were wrong. Why didn’t someone at DVLA take a grip of it - I guess because they don’t care about the upset and cost to their customers - no wonder they ended up on watchdog!

Rant over - I feel I was very controlled on my choice of words!!!

I must admit that I have never had the need to find out but how daft is that :unamused: :unamused:

PS - something that might interest you & other instructors - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46121

OH, just realised that you posted on it :laughing:

Who in their right mind would not have thought that C1+E provisional would be put on!!

You cant use phrases line ‘in their right mind’ and DVLA in the same breasth Martin.
Got me to thinking - when someone passes their Cat B do they automatically get B+E on the licence or do they have to apply for it?

Yes Mothertrucker, a cat B pass automatically gets a B+E provisional - well all the trainees that have come to us for B+E courses have it on their licences and none have specifically applied for it.

Makes the whole situation even dafter!

Maybe a letter to watchdog is in order.

Hi Guys

Been caught on this one I have even had a case where a guy did his medical sent his application for a Cat C provisional (he did fill the form in correctly) hey presto licence back no provisional entitlement.

The DVLA being their usual less than helpful self it took six weeks for him to get his licence.

question how many times have you rang the DVLA had four diferent people on the phone got four different answers and found out you were right in the first place and not one answer agreed with you?

cheers Rick

Data Academy:
question how many times have you rang the DVLA had four diferent people on the phone got four different answers and found out you were right in the first place and not one answer agreed with you?

Diverse
Varying
Licence
Advice