Bus Driving (truckers advice)

How long ago did you leave Wardreefa :question:

I’ve had a manual coach licence for 22 years and done odd weekends as a part-timer only. Long days & tiring but OK - as a part time you can always say no to night clubs / rugby /football or other stuff where you get people drinking… probably not so easy as a full-time job.

Recently done both LGV tests. If your LGV licence is current, you will not need another medical for PCV, it’s an identical medical to LGV. You’ll need to take the theory & HPT though. At least that’s how it worked for me doing it the other way round, can’t see it being any different for you.

Service buses - probably best avoided as the split shifts play havoc with your life.

gerontius:
Service buses - probably best avoided as the split shifts play havoc with your life.

There not all split shifts at all… :wink:
Im lucky where I work as I get to do the out of town runs to Camberley, Alton, Newbury etc so probably as express as I’ll get for a while, but some of the views make up for the crap hours, pay etc and more than makes up for the fifth trip you just did around the chavvy housing estate you just did previous… :wink:

I work for Arriva .We have split shifts in my garage. Usually a maximum of a 3 hour break .We do however get paid for all of the break except for 40 minutes . Shifts can be a pain. You will be working a lot of weekends ,both Saturdays and Sundays (this is the downside of the job for me) .If it was a Mon-Fri gig TBH I would not be considering leaving when my year is up AND if I can wangle it so I can go part time or just work Mon-Fri then I will definitely be staying here.Pay is OK ( Im in London and bring home between £330 and £400 without OT ,bung on another £80-£100+ if you do a rest day)
You need to think of what YOU want. I know people that think being a postie was a crap job, I LOVED it, and if my circumstances allowed I would have stayed there until retirement . I know people that wouldnt dream of driving a lorry and staying away from home all week, some love it . A lot of it may depend on your outlook. If you are an easygoing sort of bloke , you would probably be OK. If you get wound up easily ,stay away from the buses :smiley:

when i passed my test i was posted to basingstoke straight away which was about 6 years ago and then after a year working in basingstoke i was posted to andover which was a little better as less hours.

gerontius:
If your LGV licence is current, you will not need another medical for PCV, it’s an identical medical to LGV.

A few years ago I considered doing my PCV so applied for a provisional cat. D, although I had a full LGV the DVLA requested another medical :confused:

Did my first day’s coach driving at the weekend and it was better than I expected.
Obviously,would prefer to avoid the local service buses,how easy/difficult is it to get a start with somebody like National Express or City Link?
Never seem to see these jobs advertised,do they have a lower turnover of staff ?

mrpj:

gerontius:
If your LGV licence is current, you will not need another medical for PCV, it’s an identical medical to LGV.

A few years ago I considered doing my PCV so applied for a provisional cat. D, although I had a full LGV the DVLA requested another medical :confused:

I am in the process of getting my LGV - but when I applied for my provisional I also ticked the Class D box - meaning that I got the provisional PCV licence on the same medical.

IMO common sense should be applied here - the DVLA accept that you meet the medical standards for driving LGVs - which are exactly the same for the PCV licence. As a holder of a full Class C+E licence, why are you having to pay for something that you should be automatically given without further questions? Seems grossly unfair to me.