Bus Driver to Class 2...is it worth it?

Hi all

I’ve been a bus driver for five years now, I’ve driven for GoAhead in Dorset, Stagecoach in Carlisle and now Arriva in Cheshire.

Each time, once I learn the routes, after 6 months of beating the same tracks over and over my mind starts wondering with the boredom. More recently the buses are old, uncomfortable and poorly equipped and the money is not much better than a checkout person in Lidl. Strike action looks inevitable within the next few months for an extra 20p an hour. I’m in my comfort zone but there’s no real pride or money.

And that’s my problem, I simply can’t afford to do 45-50hr weeks to bring in £400 odd, it’s just not enough…So I’m currently filling in my D2 to get my class 2 provisional.

This is where I start getting cold feet. Everyone’s heard the news, new drivers being bribed with bonus incentives, £600 a week + overtime etc, I’ve seen class 2 jobs advertised with wincanton for nearly £14 an hour + bonuses and o.t rates.

Is this all just [zb[? Will I be selling my soul and working my ■■■■ off for this money?

Is it a bad move? How do I find a decent company to work for??

If they are all ■■■■ taking toss bags I won’t stick it and I’ll have wasted £1,500+

Thanks for reading this far, I think I’m just trying to figure this out in my head. I can see myself doing it and am excited by the prospect I’m just nervous that’s it’s not going to be any fun and I’m going to hate it.

Sorry for rambling, any advice is greatly appreciated.

BusManSi

At the moment the money is really good, and there are definitely chances to get decent work, even with no experience (although your years driving buses can count as experience in the eyes of insurance companies as it counts as commercial driving).
Will you find work you like? In truth, you probably will.
Hgv driving is a lot more diverse than buses. Local or distance? Days or nights? Multidrop or trunking? Whatever you want, you can find if you look. If you try something and decide it’s not for you, then you can move on to something different.
Plus there is always options for progression that you can’t find on buses. Whether that be through getting additional qualifications such as ADR, HIAB, Moffat etc, or by getting a class 1 if desired.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hi Terry
Thanks for your reply, very helpful.

I think I’ll stick to local work, I’m not ready for trunking the M6 yet …and you’re definitely right about career prospects!

The thing with bus driving is that all of the complications are taken out of your control, ie; tacho, driving hours, low bridges so you don’t have to worry about anything, but perhaps that’s what I need and I’ll enjoy the responsibility and freedom more.

Thanks again, I’ll post news about how I get on.

I’m in a similar situation, been a PSV licence holder for 20 years and a transport supervisor for one of the big three bus operators for the last 6 years.

As it stands currently if you can afford to get your class 2 you really have nothing to lose. Just make sure to work your notice period and leave on good terms, if it doesn’t work out you can always go back to driving a bus. Give it a few months and “bus driver shortage” will be all over the news. The large operators will blame covid/Brexit and the HGV driver shortage for the shortage when in reality they have all used covid as an excuse/justification to erode the already pitiful terms & conditions. Maybe they thought there would be an abundance of drivers looking for work post-covid :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

In my local area I have seen a variety of class 2 jobs advertised paying substantially more than my current wage. Just be mindful that with no experience your choices will most likely be limited to begin with.

My suggestion is don’t waste your time and money on just a rigid licence, take advantage of the new system and get the artic ticket, you’ll find much better and generally easier work and better pay, even if you prefer to drive rigids so long as you have the licence potential and don’t mind helping out on the artics when needed, you’ll be more desirable to employ.

The lorry industry is huge and there’s something to suit everyone, you won’t get what you want at first cos it just doesn’t work like that, but after a while you’ll find your niche.

Does anyone know when the new system will be coming out yet ?

Craig2222:
Does anyone know when the new system will be coming out yet ?

NO
B+E changes due on Nov 15th but so far nothing about LGV

It’s deffo worth it cos you won’t have to drive a bus.

I’m doing C+E from nothing, because I figure if I’m going to go half-way, I might as well go all the way as it offers more options/opportunity (plus I’m lazy and I’d only have to do the whole thing again to add the +E so I might as well do it all while I’m in that mindset).

Don’t get hung-up on when the changes might occur - AFAIK it isn’t even certain to happen yet. I’m working on the current system sticking around for a while so I’m getting on with it. As I see it, in the current climate there is no time for delay.

I’ve never driven a bus but from what I see:
More variety with lorries,
Bus seems like a big rigid, but with front wheels behind the driving seat??
You will get dirtier than on a bus.
Lorries don’t unload themselves.
Your goods won’t moan and complain but whoever you are delivering too may do.
As someone earlier said, don’t burn bridges, you can always go back.
What about coaches, does that not pay more?

Good luck.

Sent from my moto g 5G plus using Tapatalk

Coaches isn’t much different in terms of pay and depending on type of coach work it can be less than local buses.

I’ve done the lot. I’ve gone from Class 2 and Class 1 multi to intercity coaches, international tours, international Class 1 back to domestic long haul Class 1 and now fo supermarket Class 1 so there’s something for everyone.

I concur about getting Class 1 even if you sit on it, but if you find the right place they might put you through it providing you have a Class 2 - Tesco where I work will do it and a lot of others in the current climate are also doing much the same.

Thanks everyone for your views and help, I have read them all and taken points on board.

There is definitely more variety, and more potential to find your niche in time.

I’m going to stick to my class 2 plan as I cannot afford to go straight to class 1 but will be looking for an employer who will pay for my class one down the line.

Thanks again to everyone, I hope to become a regular contributor to the forum.

spacemanZ10:
Lorries don’t unload themselves.
Your goods won’t moan and complain but whoever you are delivering too may do.

My ex father in law, was a truck driver on tippers in the 60’s/70’s, then moved onto psv when he left, and his definition of buses was, his work walks on and walks off.

Ken.