New here with a couple of questions

Hi all, new here and looking for a bit of advice. I’ve been a bus driver for the past 11 years, and i’m getting a bit bored of it,so thought i would give truck driving a go. Been asking about among a few drivers at work who used to be HGV drivers, and the general consensus is that hardly any companies will take on newly qualified HGV drivers, is that correct? A second question i have is, i wouldnt want to be away from home for extended periods, i would prefer to do day work where i am home every night, there are reasons for, this but i wont bore you with them. So with these two points in mind, i’m hoping that you guys on here maybe able to tell me if its even worth me taking my HGV licence.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice
Si

Welcome :slight_smile:

Where are you located? The reason I ask is there are areas that seem to offer more work than others so could assist in answering your first question.

thanks for the reply mrpj, i am located in Reading.

As a ‘new’ driver you can’t afford to pick and choose what work you’re offered if you’re even offered it, so nights away from home until you’ve enough experience to dictate against the agency/until you’ve found a decent employer may be the norm.

Also, you’ll find your coach experience of driving a large vehicle goes for absolutely nothing.

You will find work if you look hard enough although the majority will tell you they want two years experience. If you don’t want nights out that won’t be a problem at all as most jobs don’t require it. Sam Millar is very young and has far less experience of driving large vehicles than you have. He means well and seems a decent lad but he sometimes makes comments that are not always helpful! :slight_smile:

It is true that finding a job without experience is hard (but not impossible) , there are quite a few companies in and around west berks area that will take on newbies , once you have that first run under your belt and have proved yourself a few times the work comes in , its all about making yourself available when you first start taking what you can proving yourself in a 71/2 tonne will get you on a ladder to progress up or you may be lucky and get class 2 straight away , it also depends on wether you can maybe go without wages for a bit as that first job wont come soon and you may have to go along the agency route , which can be sporadic to say the least , you can also get experience maybe working 1 day at the weekend but as bus driver that may not be possible due to tacho laws etc

hope that helps :wink:

The biggest issue you might have as a bus driver when learning LGV is getting used to: Mirrors, Signal, then pull out - and not the other way around as on buses :wink:

I think you’d be ok in getting work. Personally, I think a clean licence plus your experience would be a BIG advantage. Not every job requires a night out, so don’t fret.

If you’ve got the money for training - and really want to give it a go, then do it!