Bugger, had an accident

Not having a great few weeks to be quite honest, this weather certainly wasn’t helping me on Friday.

Travelling down a narrow bit of unclassified local road on way to last delivery, had a head on (offside corners) with a land rover.

Neither of us were hurt, the driver of the land rover was just a bit shaken, we are both local so know what a ■■■■ this road can be. I intend to pop over there at some point this weekend to make sure he is ok. He didn’t jump out and give the usual F’ing and blinding that is so usual with an accident which I am grateful for. We both were rather adult about it.

This section was downhill, and greasy as anything after a short shower. I had only 1 tonne onboard, right up against the headboard, I could not get it to stop, the wheels kept locking as I released and reapplied the brakes in an effort to regain traction, nor could I get the steering to respond as I was aiming to the left of him.

Horrible feeling when you realise what is about to happen and are powerless to do anything about it, impacted his offside corner with mine, and shoved him about 10-15ft back down the road.

Both vehicles written off by my estimation, I couldn’t get out of my door, the floor came up underneath the pedals, and doorstop wedged back to prevent the operation of the steering. Jarred both my wrists but hopefully will be ok by Monday.

Shortly after the pic was taken, it absolutely rammed it down for the hour or so waiting for recovery, police turned up after I called them to close the road, breath tested both of us, but as no one was hurt, they aren’t interested, down to the insurance now.

My tacho is on my side, as I was travelling less than 35mph at the point I started to slow down… I am grateful he was driving a land rover though, and not something like a Corsa/Micra.

Boss seems to think I still have a job, which is a bonus. To be honest, he knows the road as well, and has been very supportive about the thing, more concerned that I am ok etc.

Feeling pretty small right now, so although you are free to say how much of a mess I made of things, I would appreciate a bit of understanding if possible.

I don’t necessarily think I am 100% to blame, I don’t feel I drive recklessly, no need to, I just couldn’t bring things to a stop at this particular point. Putting it down to experience for now. You can always be travelling slower.

I have some sympathy for anyone involved in a crash, and hope everything will work out ok.

However I do wonder if 35 mph was appropriate for that road. I don’t know the road personally, but in my opinion any road that isn’t wide enough for my vehicle and a car, shouldn’t be travelled along at more that 20 - 25 mph. Bear in mind that if the land rover was travelling at the 35 mph as well, then the vehicles were closing at 70mph! Would you walk along that road if you thought a car would be coming along at 70mph?

Whilst you were undoubtedly below the legal speed limit, were you in hindsight travelling much faster than the ‘safe’ limit?

Indeed, hingsight is a wonderful thing, it isn’t going to straighten out either vehicle.

You can always be travelling slower

I made a poor judgement, but was if im honest, expecting more grip than I was able to find.

At the risk of sounding callous about an accident, what’s done is done and can’t be changed, learn from it and move on, good luck m8 :wink:

i agree w tachograph luckyly no1 was hurt… I had an accident at the start of the year when i hit a tractor and did a bit of damage to the van so called boss about it and he was glad no1 was hurt. On the way bak the recovery driver decided he would like to go under a low bridge and totally destroyed the van our boss was ok about it but i dont think the recoveryman had a job after that…

No-one hurt but damage done that is probably repairable :slight_smile: .
You seem to have learnt from this experience and it is now unlikely that you will get yourself into such a situation again - so… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

PS - found it very difficult to read the text as the pics are too big and I had to keep scolling left & right - most annoying for me…

apoligies, my MS paint skills are distinctly lacking.

WildGoose:

Just needs to be resized to message board by clicking edit in photobucket :slight_smile:

ROG:

WildGoose:

Just needs to be resized to message board by clicking edit in photobucket :slight_smile:

Or you could get a bigger monitor :wink:

tachograph:

ROG:

WildGoose:

Or you could get a bigger monitor :wink:

Bigger isnt always better, a least thats what the wife says. :blush:

I had my first accident last night in a cargo yard at LHR - a sprinter parked too close to my nearside and as i pulled away my backend ( of my truck :smiley: ) scraped him . Bit of a dent to my pride more than damage to his van which was pretty battle scarred anyway . The last time i had an accident was 2 weeks after passing my car test when i drove into the back of a parked truck in my mums hyundai !!!

Glad you’re both ok.

PS Rog, it’s time to buy a widescreen monitor! It’s the future, trust me.

Always expect the unexpected!!!Wet road conditions, downhill, narrow lane…Good job it wasn’t a Horse or a Mother and child in a pram, the outcome would of been alot worse.
Sorry Mate no sympathy here.
But I do hope you learn from your mistake.

Glad you are both ok mate.

Accidents happen, thats why they are called accidents.
Chin up, learn from it and get back truckin’ thats what its all about.

Not down to me to judge, I’m just a driver!

Any pics of the front? I’m interested to see what sort of frontal damage it took to lift the floor!

Alex

My first post. 35 mph in these conditions was way to fast. As far as I can see 'limit point 'speed was not adhered to. This collision may have been caused by both drivers lack of risk assessment. The road surface tells you everything. There is no cross view so the rta may have beed avoidable. Hi

Fleet /dsa adi Class c+e 20 years. Chip

Thanks Scarab.

And not as much as you might expect.

That looks like a small cosmetic bump in terms of crashes!

But lifted floor under pedals, door jammed shut and steering knackered…
Sometimes I wonder if the yanks have got it right with their bonneted trucks rather than our cabovers, even if purely from a safety point of view!

chippy:
My first post. 35 mph in these conditions was way to fast. As far as I can see 'limit point 'speed was not adhered to. This collision may have been caused by both drivers lack of risk assessment. The road surface tells you everything. There is no cross view so the rta may have beed avoidable. Hi

Fleet /dsa adi Class c+e 20 years. Chip

Does Babel Fish work on this?

This guy can probably translate for us:

In reply .If you do not what I am taliking about, then I can come along and show you . Rog may well know what ‘limit point analysis’ means. It’s not a secret :bulb: