Had an accident

Low and behold I leave work tonight out of the industrial estate. I come to the junction and look left and right and left and right. It’s all clear and I pull out slowly as i do on the angle i have to then bang. Car out of nowhere has hit the side of my truck on the passenger side.

I get out to the tune of ‘You could have stopped’ ‘I can’t go work now’ ‘You’ve hit me’

Don’t know what to make it of it cause I’m 100% certain they was not there when I pulled out I can only assume they came flying over the hill at speed.

Not sure how to deal with this kinda ■■■■■■ off tbh.

Dash cam??

Or any CCTV near where the accident happened??

Other than that, it’ll be he said - she said, trying to prove they were speeding… :frowning:

Same way as you deal with any accident. Make sure everybody is ok, make sure everything is safe, call plod if necessary, take lots of pictures, exchange details, let the office know, carry on if your truck is in a fit state to do so.

No dash cam or cams on truck. No cctv at all.

Everyone is fine. But yeah gonna be a case of he said she said even though she had a passenger.

I’m still 100% sure they was not there when I pulled out. It’s just left me questioning myself now as to how I could have done that when I’m always doing my checks before pulling out as it’s been drilled into me since I passed my test not long ago. And as I’ve turned right I can’t see bugger all down the side of the truck on an an angle to a degree.

Pictures taken. Police was already there as they was not far behind me in the industrial estate doing his checks though he never seen it happen.

Just proper knocked me back this has. I’ve carried on with my run. Currently sat in palletforce contemplating it all.

Look if you don’t really know what’s happened I doubt TNCSI will be able to offer you much comfort…

Unfortunately as you are the one pulling out, on your ■■■■ side at an angle, and with no supporting footage, the blame is probably going to land square at your door. But that is why God made Insurance, and why her Maj made it compulsory…

Chalk it up to experience, and try and learn from it to avoid it happening in future, then it hasn’t happened for nothing.

No dashcam? With all this crash for cash etc. Is it worth driving for a compnay that does not care about its drivers

zaax:
No dashcam? With all this crash for cash etc. Is it worth driving for a compnay that does not care about its drivers

Really?

zaax:

What your forward facing dashcam also looks left out the passenger window too? ■■■■ me that’s clever. Or does your caring company have a separate camera on each quarter of your unit and trailer?

:unamused:

Was the car in blind spot caused by your mirrors? Don’t know the lay out of the road you had your bump on, or the angle you were at, but I nearly wiped out 2 cars when I had my actros in my old job. Both occasions I pulled out onto a roundabout and the cars were in the blind spots caused by the stupid wardrobe doors they call mirrors on the actros. I was certain there was nothing both times and completely failed to see the cars coming. My fault completely and luckily the cars managed to screech to a halt and no damage was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah you do get some people on here that come out with stupid comments

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

damoq:
Was the car in blind spot caused by your mirrors? Don’t know the lay out of the road you had your bump on, or the angle you were at, but I nearly wiped out 2 cars when I had my actros in my old job. Both occasions I pulled out onto a roundabout and the cars were in the blind spots caused by the stupid wardrobe doors they call mirrors on the actros. I was certain there was nothing both times and completely failed to see the cars coming. My fault completely and luckily the cars managed to screech to a halt and no damage was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s possible but looking at the angle of how they’ve hit me and damage to cars I can’t help but feel she’s pulled out the ■■■■■■■■■■■■ and hit me. No skid marks to suggest she’s slammed on breaks and never heard any.

Either way I still can’t be sure so as someone’s posted above I’ll be the one to blame and that’s that I suppose.

admit nothing…deny everything…exchange details if required.pass the buck to the insurers…then deny it some more.

Nobody died and their whiplash will cure itself once they get their payout. Chalk it up to experience and don’t worry about it.

The world is full of ■■■■■■■■ usually you avoid them, sometimes they win.

If you get blamed ask to see an itemised copy of herr mobile phone calls around the time of the accident she can block the numbers out it the times you need to see.if she was on her phone u could argue she was distracted and not driving with due care and attention.it might just put her off

I’ll take all this advice and use it.

Her fella claimed I could have stopped. I told him I did not even see you there and on the turn right I’m then in a blindside cause of the back board.

She claims I hit her which is not the case hence why my passenger foot step has been torn off I can’t see me losing that doing 3-4mph turning out a road lol. Also she did not even break sharply just hit me which just indicates to me she was not even paying attention cause if you can’t see a bloody big 15ft high 40ft long truck in front of you as you come over the brow on the road then what the hell are you doing?

Either way I’m sticking to my guns here cause it’s not my fault some people can’t see.

Shifts now over so off bed. I’ll speak to my manager later when I get up.

Thanks all.

It’s good that you are concerned about what happened. But stuff happens, like the man says exchange insurance details, and let them sort it out, and crack on, it will rattle you for a day or two, and then you will settle back down, with maybe an extra look thrown in.

MickM

Just because you didn’t see it, doesn’t mean it wasn’t there:

When you move your head and eyes to scan a scene, your eyes are incapable of moving smoothly across it and seeing everything. Instead, you see in the image in a series of very quick jumps (called saccades) with very short pauses (called fixations) and it is only during the pauses that an image is processed.

Your brain fills in the gaps with a combination of peripheral vision and an assumption that what is in the gaps must be the same as what you see during the pauses.

This might sound crazy, but your brain actually blocks the image that is being received while your eyes are moving. This is why you do not see the sort of blurred image, that you see when you look sideways out of a train window.

Scanning a road is something we all do dozens of times a day, and it’s quite possible to not see something that is coming towards you, because your brain doesn’t register it as a moving object.

Read this for more information. It’s about not seeing people on two wheels but it also works for cars.

Santa:
Just because you didn’t see it, doesn’t mean it wasn’t there:

When you move your head and eyes to scan a scene, your eyes are incapable of moving smoothly across it and seeing everything. Instead, you see in the image in a series of very quick jumps (called saccades) with very short pauses (called fixations) and it is only during the pauses that an image is processed.

Your brain fills in the gaps with a combination of peripheral vision and an assumption that what is in the gaps must be the same as what you see during the pauses.

This might sound crazy, but your brain actually blocks the image that is being received while your eyes are moving. This is why you do not see the sort of blurred image, that you see when you look sideways out of a train window.

Scanning a road is something we all do dozens of times a day, and it’s quite possible to not see something that is coming towards you, because your brain doesn’t register it as a moving object.

Read this for more information. It’s about not seeing people on two wheels but it also works for cars.

Mate thanks for that its a very good read.

I’ve just found out my company would rather sort the damage out themselves then go through the insurance so I’ve no doubt in my mind now that my company will just sort it out without going through the correct procedure because this saves them money but ultimately forces me to take the blame regardless. If I genuinely thought I’d ■■■■■■ up I’d take the blame as I have done before when I had an accident at Palmer and Harveys but this I don’t agree with.

JaxDemon:
It’s all clear and I pull out slowly as i do on the angle i have to then bang. Car out of nowhere has hit the side of my truck on the passenger side.

JaxDemon:
I had an accident at Palmer and Harveys.

JaxDemon:
since I passed my test not long ago…

Seriously? Driving isn’t for you.

wheelnutt:

JaxDemon:
It’s all clear and I pull out slowly as i do on the angle i have to then bang. Car out of nowhere has hit the side of my truck on the passenger side.

JaxDemon:
I had an accident at Palmer and Harveys.

JaxDemon:
since I passed my test not long ago…

Seriously? Driving isn’t for you.

Haha bore off muppet.