Bridges

Hi Guys,

In Europe (especially France/Belgium), what is the minimun height of an unmarked bridge? Is it the same as UK (5m/16ft)?

Thanks in advance,

Mr Brush

4.0 metres.

Cool, thanks.

And when heading towards them at 90kph some of them don’t even look 4m leading to a large sigh of relief after passing safely underneath :smiley:

Know what you mean! I’ve just looked on Google maps at the back road running along the canal between Dunkirk and Adinkirk (D601)and seen the bridge. Doesn’t look high enough but it’s not marked!!!

I’ll think I’ll risk it though.

The lowest bridge I’ve had experience of was in Fontainbleu 2.6m and gave me a 45min diversion to get to my pickup.
It was one of those days I was glad that was driving a 7.5.

Guybrush:
Know what you mean! I’ve just looked on Google maps at the back road running along the canal between Dunkirk and Adinkirk (D601)and seen the bridge. Doesn’t look high enough but it’s not marked!!!

Bridges aren’t the issue on that road. Weight restrictions however are so if you still decide to risk it make sure you have a good wad of Euros with you.

Guybrush:

Hi Guybrush,

That road used to be THE road, but things are different now.

If I were you, I’d take Neil’s advice about the weight limit, because you will be relieved of an eye watering number of Euros if you get caught. :wink:

An Army cadet killed when he stuck his head through a coach skylight and hit a bridge would have been promoted at work today, his shocked boss told the Evening Press.

Stephen Adair, 18, died in Holland as he returned with a 40-strong party of army cadets from a visit to the Green Howards’ headquarters in Osnabruck, Germany, at the weekend. An army investigation was under way today.

Stephen, of Burton Fields Road, Stamford Bridge, put his head out of the skylight as the coach, travelling on the A27 in Hoogleand, Holland, passed under a viaduct with less than a foot’s clearance. He was killed instantly and his body slumped back into the coach next to his horrified companions, some of whom were just 15.

Thanks for the advice but I didn’t take that road in the end. What is the weight limit just out of interest? I was trying to find a way of getting to the Stop & Shop in Adinkirk without taking exit 1 on the E40. Mainly because on a Saturday that exit has a queue from about a mile down the road and I don’t have time to sit in it as I’m trying to get to Holland.

Guybrush:
Thanks for the advice but I didn’t take that road in the end. What is the weight limit just out of interest? I was trying to find a way of getting to the Stop & Shop in Adinkirk without taking exit 1 on the E40. Mainly because on a Saturday that exit has a queue from about a mile down the road and I don’t have time to sit in it as I’m trying to get to Holland.

Come off at the last exit in France, signed for Ghyvelde, instead of going to exit 1 in Belgium. Follow the road round and underneath the motorway, over the roundabout, through the lights, over the next roundabout then take the exit slip on the right which puts you down onto the road beside the canal. Just follow that and you come into Adinkerke from the opposite end to where Stop & Shop is. It’s actually quicker going into Adinkerke that way than using the first exit in Belgium even when there is no queues.There isn’t usually a problem with the queues to get off at exit 1 at this time of year, that’s more of a summer thing when Plopsaland is in full swing.

Guybrush:
Hi Guys,

In Europe (especially France/Belgium), what is the minimun height of an unmarked bridge? Is it the same as UK (5m/16ft)?

Thanks in advance,

Mr Brush

I have always thought that France was at least 4.5 meters, maybe even more, they have no height limits. Belgium I don’t know but 4.2 is usually not a problem.

V8Lenny:

Guybrush:
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance,

Mr Brush

I have always thought that France was at least 4.5 meters, maybe even more, they have no height limits. Belgium I don’t know but 4.2 is usually not a problem.

Correct, but the EU regs state 4.0 metres, so 4.0 metres it is.
You could go to France or Belgium with a taller trailer, but you are also running the risk of being fined for over height and we see enough posts about massive fines for being 2 minutes over on drive time etc.
5m is allowed in the UK under our domestic C&U regs, so our own gear can be 5m
France has its own domestic regs which its own people can use.
Crossing borders brings in the EU regs, so EU regs have to be complied with, unless you’re happy to take the risk.

Simon:

V8Lenny:

Guybrush:
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance,

Mr Brush

You could go to France or Belgium with a taller trailer, but you are also running the risk of being fined for over height and we see enough posts about massive fines for being 2 minutes over on drive time etc.
5m is allowed in the UK under our domestic C&U regs, so our own gear can be 5m
France has its own domestic regs which its own people can use.
Crossing borders brings in the EU regs, so EU regs have to be complied with, unless you’re happy to take the risk.

Central europeans can come to Finland and Sweden with 25,25 metres even if their country allows only 18.75 so why cant I have 4.5 meters in France? My trailers have always been 4.08-4.15m and never problems in any country. Swiss maybe max 4.05m .

V8Lenny:
so why cant I have 4.5 meters in France?

You can certainly take a 4.5 m trailer to France - it may not be 4.5 m tall when you leave but theres no harm in trying it to see what happens :stuck_out_tongue:

beefy4605:

V8Lenny:
so why cant I have 4.5 meters in France?

You can certainly take a 4.5 m trailer to France - it may not be 4.5 m tall when you leave but theres no harm in trying it to see what happens :stuck_out_tongue:

Just buy a Michelin map and keep your eyes open.

Simon:
[

I believe EU regulates only length and width. They are trying to get the height limit of 4 metres but there are too many countries against it.

Coffeeholic:

Guybrush:

Come off at the last exit in France, signed for Ghyvelde, instead of going to exit 1 in Belgium. Follow the road round and underneath the motorway, over the roundabout, through the lights, over the next roundabout then take the exit slip on the right which puts you down onto the road beside the canal. Just follow that and you come into Adinkerke from the opposite end to where Stop & Shop is. It’s actually quicker going into Adinkerke that way than using the first exit in Belgium even when there is no queues.There isn’t usually a problem with the queues to get off at exit 1 at this time of year, that’s more of a summer thing when Plopsaland is in full swing.

Coffeeholic, thanks.

V8Lenny:

Simon:
[

I believe EU regulates only length and width. They are trying to get the height limit of 4 metres but there are too many countries against it.

You can believe that if you like.

we run 4.2metre all the time belguim lux france italy no problem only thing the mont blanc charge a ■■■■■■ fee over 4m the limit at the blanc is 4.2 the frejus is 4.3 and no ■■■■■■ required we run these 4.2 trailers right down to the middle east the further you go greece and turkey etc the easier it gets ~(height that is) the only place i used to have a problem was spain and then only if you was really unlucky