French Bridge Heights

So the UK and France both have ‘unspecified’ maximum heights so far as I know/can find out. Obviously that means 5m unless signed otherwise in the UK- and you always get 5m at toll booths etc unless signed otherwise.

What is it in France? What are the unmarked bridges and toll plazas at?

In France anything under 4m is marked.

Actually, anything under 4.3m has to be signalled.

Oh bugger- so it’s basically 4m max then? Buggers my plan to take a DD race trailer then!

Héraultais:
Actually, anything under 4.3m has to be signalled.

So 4.2 would be ok then? Could get a lower decker transporter to that…

i would be very concerned about going in anything over 4.0 metres. i thought that was the european standard spec on trailer heights.

As I have already said, in France 4.3m is the minimum, anything under that is signalled.

Race Trucker:
Oh bugger- so it’s basically 4m max then? Buggers my plan to take a DD race trailer then!

Stack the race cars with hydraulic platform ? They dont weigh that much surely.
Not perfect but the best option as lots of countries are 4m max or you are screwed totally and fined horrendously.

3 wheeler:

Race Trucker:

Stack the race cars with hydraulic platform ? They dont weigh that much surely.
Not perfect but the best option as lots of countries are 4m max or you are screwed totally and fined horrendously.

It’s more how the trailers are built. Office and kitchen over hitch, bathroom/toilet and engineers office downstairs in front half, workshop and 1 car slot in back half, then open upper deck for 2 cars and flight cases/flooring pallets etc. belly lockers then for parts and compressors etc…

Our main (nicest/plushest) is built as above, but comes in at 4.6m which I knew was a no go for most of Europe but not sure for France as said above. We do have a 4m truck but its nowhere near as nice. It’s only because the truck is also mobile HQ too- hotel/offices etc too- not just a haulage truck.

This sort of thing:

racecarsdirect.com/listing/5 … orter.html

Race Trucker:
This sort of thing:

racecarsdirect.com/listing/5 … orter.html

Not much scope for height reduction on one of them. Would be a total no-no in Holland & Swiss.
What is the destination in France,maybe someone on here could plot a safe route for you?

Yeah I know- its a bit of a bugger! The trailer in question is only for UK Motorsport, but we were contemplating some winter testing in France/Spain.

Just means we take the doggy one or bin the idea! Cheers guys!

For the Spanish job you could go Pompey -Bilbao ferry.,if its still running. Also find out height regs in Spain? There maybe exemptions on car transporters in some EC countries - check it out.

Load of info here…

transportsfriend.org/road/dims.html

I saw nolans in west france this with a 14’9" on and a lot of the over 4m go Portsmouth leharve. Fagan and whalley are another that use over 4m so trying calling them for advice.

Nolans do a lot through cherbourg as well over 4m.

Give Stobarts a call ,they will probably know? Don’t give up. Make it a project - France,Spain 4.6m & ■■■■ 'em all?

Did we not have this a while back regarding Germany■■?

Yeah I remember the Germany thread…

Its not that I want to do anything thats not allowed- its more that France has its published max height as ‘unspecified’ like the UK does. Now in the UK we all know its 5m as thats what we build to unless signed, and I just wanted to know what it was in France. There’s no use me going at 4.6m saying its OK and legal, if I wont fit under the first motorway bridge or toll plaza!

I find the EU max heights for each country a bit shady- like for instance Spain is listed as 4.2m, but when there a few weeks ago I saw many bridges labeled at 4.75m etc which surely means they have higher than 4.2? Its all a bit grey - as I know our trailer went to Spain with the previous owner. So I know its POSSIBLE with someone who knows the routes/bridges etc - but that doesn’t make it OK or sensible for us to do does it!? The trailers are one of the most valuable assets most teams own- so I can do without trimming it down! lol

Give the previous owners a call?

You could try send an email to Trucknet member “muckles”. I believe he is in the same game as yourself and transports race trucks around Europe. He would be a good place to start. Good luck.