Breaks and moving vehicles

Hi i am new to this site. Glad i found it as it has a lot of great information and a very active forum. I have done a search and can’t seem to find an answer to this so i apologise in advance if this has been posted already. My question is this:

If i am on my tacho break (I use vehicles with digital tacho and other vehicles with analog) and someone asks me to move my vehicle for whatever reason (our yard is pretty small) do i have to start my tacho break from scratch again or is there a procedure i can follow or a way round it?

I THINK that you have to start your break again but I am no expert - Coffeeholic is your man for a difinitive answer :slight_smile:

Just realised that this is yout first post - Welcome to TrucknetUK :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

PS. Coffeeholic usually shoots me when I have a go at answering these type of queries and get the answer wrong :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the reply hopefully someone will be able to give me the answer.

You wouldn’t necessarily have to start the complete break again but it would depend on how far into the break you are when you make the movement. Presuming you are in the process of taking a full 45-minute break and you have already completed at least 15 minutes you would only need to take another 30 minutes after the movement - split break option with first part at least 15 minutes and second part at least 30 minutes. Less than 15 minutes from the start of the break when you make the movement then yes, you would need to start the break from scratch.

Thanks for the response. Sorry i never gave more details in the example. I should have pointed out i would have driven 4 and a half hours and then i am on my 45min break and someone asks me to move the vehicle during this break. Would the split still be ok or would i have to start again because i have driven 4 and a half hours.

One final thing does other work and poa count towards “drive time”. If it doesn’t then in theory i suppose i could do a full 13 hour day (normal day) or am i mistaken?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Pageyboy:
Thanks for the response. Sorry i never gave more details in the example. I should have pointed out i would have driven 4 and a half hours and then i am on my 45min break and someone asks me to move the vehicle during this break. Would the split still be ok or would i have to start again because i have driven 4 and a half hours.

If you have driven the full 4.5 hours then you cannot move the vehicle until the 45 minutes are up as to do so would take you over 4.5 hours driving without a 45 minute break. If you have not driven the full 4.5 hours and have sufficient minutes left to make the movement you will not need to restart the break provided you have taken at least 15 minutes of break before moving, you would just need to take a further 30 minutes.

Pageyboy:
One final thing does other work and poa count towards “drive time”. If it doesn’t then in theory i suppose i could do a full 13 hour day (normal day) or am i mistaken?

Driving time is exactly what it says on the tin - driving. POA and Other Work do not count toward the 4.5 hour driving limit. It is possible to do a full day and not be required to take a break at all if you don’t reach 4.5 hours driving and the rest is made up of other work and POA.

Coffeeholic, Thanks for all your help thats really sorted things out for me. ROG Thanks as well for your contribution i look forward to using this site more for browsing, and keeping up to date with things and getting to know other users.

Pageyboy:

Coffeholic:
Driving time is exactly what it says on the tin - driving. POA and Other Work do not count toward the 4.5 hour driving limit. It is possible to do a full day and not be required to take a break at all if you don’t reach 4.5 hours driving and the rest is made up of other work and POA.

Dont you still have to take a 30 minute break every 6 hours?
Im pretty sure that came in with the WTD :wink:

bikemonkey:

Pageyboy:

Coffeholic:

Dont you still have to take a 30 minute break every 6 hours?
Im pretty sure that came in with the WTD :wink:

You’ve never had to take a 30 minute break every 6 hours,15 minutes is enough. It is a total of 30 minutes for a shift between 6 and 9 hours. However POA doesn’t count toward the 6 hour thing so you could still go a whole shift with no need to show a break. A few weeks ago I did a shift from 12:00 - 19:30 which consisted of 3:40 driving, 0:40 other work and 3:10 POA, no need to take a break at all.

Guys,

Can I also just check something related to this - say in this situ to move the truck after a 15 min break, it takes you 5 mins to move it. Does this count as 5 mins of driving time or 15 mins towards your total driving time for the day ? I though the min was 15 mins ?

Many thanks

gerontius:
Guys,

Can I also just check something related to this - say in this situ to move the truck after a 15 min break, it takes you 5 mins to move it. Does this count as 5 mins of driving time

Yes.

gerontius:
or 15 mins towards your total driving time for the day ?

No, if you drive for 5 minutes then it is 5 minutes that counts toward your driving time for the day. Similarly if it took you 2 minutes of driving to move it that would be 2 minutes of your driving time for the day.

gerontius:
I though the min was 15 mins ?

Sorry, don’t get this bit, the minimum what is 15 minutes? The minimum period that counts as a break is 15 minutes but that is nothing to do with driving time

I think he meant you had to round up any driving time periods to 15minutes, which as said is not the case. Least that’s what I think he meant. They’re rounded to the nearest minute on digital tacho’s I believe. So 1 second of movement makes that minute show as driving time.

Yes that is what I meant -thanks :slight_smile: