Breaks and moving

had a bit of a heated chat at work last night regarding moving my truck whislt on 45min break. before i get slatted i know about the eu rules and what the vosa infomation tells me but i cant find any thing to put this conversation to bed, ok, just put tacho on my break get asked to move the lorry its in the way, other person says just move it put it back on break and continue your break. does moving it create an infringement because the lorrys moved before having enough break… after its been moved does the break have to begin from scratch again or continue from the previous start time…what if the request to move the lorry is for an emergancy. :question:
just to finish off, i told the other person B#**#??s its not moving :smiling_imp:

A break is not working or driving so if you do either then it is not break for the duration of the time you did work/drive

If you had 20 mins of break - move lorry - then have 25 mins of break you have not had a 45 because the second bit was less than 30 mins

If you did 12 mins break - move lorry - then have 33 mins of break then that is only a 15 min break for the tacho regs

i have been told and read that with the newest tacho units as long as you don’t go over 25 seconds of movement it will not record the movement, and will just switch back to break, go over that and it will record, then if say you had gone over 15 mins break you would have to take another 30 mins to complete break, if under then you have to start again, if it was an emergency then just do a print out to explain movement or just complete the break as before :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Or just don’t have your break where you are in someones way. That way you won’t need to interrupt your break when they need out.:wink:

Or whip your card out, move your vehicle and put your card back in and do a manual entry to say you’ve been on break all the time.
Plus of course follow the good advice of not blocking anyone in before you start your break.

heliguy10:
had a bit of a heated chat at work last night regarding moving my truck whislt on 45min break. before i get slatted i know about the eu rules and what the vosa infomation tells me but i cant find any thing to put this conversation to bed, ok, just put tacho on my break get asked to move the lorry its in the way, other person says just move it put it back on break and continue your break. does moving it create an infringement because the lorrys moved before having enough break… after its been moved does the break have to begin from scratch again or continue from the previous start time…what if the request to move the lorry is for an emergancy. :question:
just to finish off, i told the other person B#**#??s its not moving :smiling_imp:

Moving it is an infringement. If you’re taking a 30 minute break if you’re having a split 45 or a continuous 45 it needs to start again as it needs to be continuous.

mick.mh2racing:
Or whip your card out, move your vehicle and put your card back in and do a manual entry to say you’ve been on break all the time.
Plus of course follow the good advice of not blocking anyone in before you start your break.

Except that removing the card is classed as other work so you’d have infringed on the break anyway.

Conor:

mick.mh2racing:

Except that removing the card is classed as other work so you’d have infringed on the break anyway.

Oh dear me, pedantry your particular forte is it? Just wait 50 mins or so before putting the card in and doing your manual entry.

the maoster:

Conor:

mick.mh2racing:

Oh dear me, pedantry your particular forte is it? Just wait 50 mins or so before putting the card in and doing your manual entry.

Vosa ain’t stupid.

You can’t move a truck when your on a break, simple as.

However I have a 61 plate with one of the new phase tachos and if I’m on a break in a queue or if I shunt it a short distance of say 30 meters and put it back on to break straight away it doesn’t interrupt it and shows a continues break without the lorry moving.
It also does the same thing in traffic when it switches from cross hammers to drive automatically.
Much better than the old digi tachos, you can get more driving time in your day.

FarnboroughBoy11:

the maoster:

Conor:

mick.mh2racing:

Vosa ain’t stupid.

No they’re not but once a month isn’t gong to flag up as a problem I wouldn’t have thought.

damoq:
Or just don’t have your break where you are in someones way. That way you won’t need to interrupt your break when they need out.:wink:

Agreed fella, bit of forward planning always helps!
I can shunt five seconds at a time without an interrupt, but nothing like this though…

FarnboroughBoy11:
if I’m on a break in a queue or if I shunt it a short distance of say 30 meters and put it back on to break straight away it doesn’t interrupt it and shows a continues break without the lorry moving.

…I like :exclamation:

FarnboroughBoy11:

the maoster:

Conor:

mick.mh2racing:

Vosa ain’t stupid.

I would disagree with that, also you are innocent until proven guilty!!

:smiley:

FarnboroughBoy11:

However I have a 61 plate with one of the new phase tachos and if I’m on a break in a queue or if I shunt it a short distance of say 30 meters and put it back on to break straight away it doesn’t interrupt it and shows a continues break without the lorry moving.
It also does the same thing in traffic when it switches from cross hammers to drive automatically.
Much better than the old digi tachos, you can get more driving time in your day.

same here F B, in my 61 plate FH, i can have for argumnents sake 25mins break, pull forward 2 lorry lengths, maybe a touch more, put tacho back on break, 25 mins later =50 mins, do a print out to check and… 50 mins uninterupted break. :smiley:
In my old 06 plate XF you could only move half a wheel turn, stop, put handbrake on, then handbrake off, then drive half a wheel turn again. Very slow but it did keep your tacho on break.

Or just start your break again from scratch simple especially if paid by the hour

Conor:
Moving it is an infringement.

Not in itself it isn’t. Why would it if you haven’t exceeded any driving/working limits?. If you’ve driven for 4.5 hours or worked for 6 hours and moving your wagon takes you over those limits then yes, that’s an infringement.

ROG:
A break is not working or driving so if you do either then it is not break for the duration of the time you did work/drive

If you had 20 mins of break - move lorry - then have 25 mins of break you have not had a 45 because the second bit was less than 30 mins

If you did 12 mins break - move lorry - then have 33 mins of break then that is only a 15 min break for the tacho regs

You have had 45 minutes of break the caveat is that the second block of 25 does not count for EU driving regs as a split break must have the second block of at least 30 minutes. It would count for WTD requirements as the minimum block time is 15 minutes to count towards the total. In any event any time on break does not count as working time no matter how small the block

My understanding would be that the driver has had 33 minutes of break not 15, the early 12 minutes would not count as a period of break because it has to be a minimum of 15 minutes.

FarnboroughBoy11:

Don’t agree with that mate. It’s the driver that needs to have a break not the vehicle. If you can show that you’ve had a break then that ought to be enough.
If for example you were doing local shunts and you came back to yard and your boss asked you to sit in the canteen for an hour to have your break while someone else uses your motor for that hour, that would be ok wouldn’t it?
We had it when a shunter, moving trailers from one site to another on the public road said as much. I’m having my break so that vehicle isn’t moving was tyhe driver’s attitude so his manager took advice from VOSA who agreed that as long as the driver showed a break as a manual entry then it was fine.

Wiretwister:

ROG:

You have had 45 minutes of break the caveat is that the second block of 25 does not count for EU driving regs as a split break must have the second block of at least 30 minutes. It would count for WTD requirements as the minimum block time is 15 minutes to count towards the total. In any event any time on break does not count as working time no matter how small the block

My understanding would be that the driver has had 33 minutes of break not 15, the early 12 minutes would not count as a period of break because it has to be a minimum of 15 minutes.

The 33 mins would only count as 15 for the driving time tacho break unless a 15 had been taken previously

ROG:

Wiretwister:

ROG:

The 33 mins would only count as 15 for the driving time tacho break unless a 15 had been taken previously

No the driver has had 33 minutes of break. To complete a split driving break he needs to have another, uninterrupted, block of at least 30 minutes. By your own reasoning if he isn’t driving or doing other work he is on break (best leave POA out of the equation for now) :laughing: :laughing: .