BREAKFAST TV

Just been watching BBC Breakfast program discussing the subject of the driver shortage in this country.As a current trade union member I was disgusted to hear Kay Carberry,the Assistant General Secretary of the TUC basically give the green light to the employers to import drivers in order to beat the shortage.What about us,who as members have been trying to improve our lot and getting eff all support from the people who are taking our money every month?She made no mention about the long standing problems we all know about that CAUSE THE DRIVER SHORTAGE. :imp:

I’m not sure what to say tartanraider, you seem to be under some delusion that unions are there to look after its members. :unamused: :unamused:
The only union that has ever had any moral conviction is the URTU & they were forced out of the TUC for it.

I have just sent Kay Carberry an email which is going to feel like someone has launched an ICBM strike against her. How the… hell does sanctioning importing cheap immigrant labour to circumvent the supply and demand forces fit in with the core values of a body representing trades unions.

Why don’t the TUC simply admit what we all think and change their name to the CBI and stop treating us all like idiots.

If permitted can you post her e-mail address Qhunter,if not can you let me have it?

I used the general enquiries one at the TUC and FAO’d it for her attention in the subject box. Can’t beleive thats what they’re thinking now. Are they not capable of thinking for themsleves. The cheapskate £4/hr hauliers have really pulled the wool over their eyes. Incredible.

mailto:info@tuc.org.uk

no surprise really is it? arent they all as bad? i seem to remember (SIR) bill morris having the backbone of a jelly when the fuel protests were happening.

too many cosy little empires being built at the top of the unions nowadays. When representatives of an industry have to take matters into their own hands to get the government to listen you would have thought that the TRANSPORT and General would have thrown their full weight behind it.

Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not a militant but I do believe the unions should do what they’re paid to do when things have gone wrong.

My opinion of union officers (ie the ones who get paid ) changed a few years ago when I was involved with the union as a rep/asst branch sec.Once they got into their jobs with their nice salaries they are no longer their own men and their first responsibilty becomes the union as opposed to it’s members

you felt that strongly you posted it 4 times :wink: jon

JONBOY@RH:
no surprise really is it? arent they all as bad? i seem to remember (SIR) bill morris having the backbone of a jelly when the fuel protests were happening.

Nothing to do with Jelly more to do with looking after his mate Tony. Hence the knighthood. :unamused:
Perhaps we should all go and join the French truck drivers union and tell the TUC well it is a free market when we bring the country to a halt and it’s members are losing money. Yep I’m dreaming.

tartanraider:
My opinion of union officers (ie the ones who get paid ) changed a few years ago when I was involved with the union as a rep/asst branch sec.Once they got into their jobs with their nice salaries they are no longer their own men and their first responsibilty becomes the union as opposed to it’s members :confused:

is this the same thread 4 times :wink:

Yet, it wasn’t that long ago that T&D had a two page article from Sir Bill pontificating about hoew important us drivers were.
Shame it was just before he retired, pity it took so long for him to realise the bloody obvious.

Dratsabasti:
Yet, it wasn’t that long ago that T&D had a two page article from Sir Bill pontificating about hoew important us drivers were.
Shame it was just before he retired, pity it took so long for him to realise the bloody obvious.

Oh, I think he realised it a long time ago, but lets face it, he didnt become knighted for his services to the well-being and profit of the geezers that paid his wages. Judas’s one and all.

Mal.

tartanraider:
Just been watching BBC Breakfast program discussing the subject of the driver shortage in this country.As a current trade union member I was disgusted to hear Kay Carberry,the Assistant General Secretary of the TUC basically give the green light to the employers to import drivers in order to beat the shortage.What about us,who as members have been trying to improve our lot and getting eff all support from the people who are taking our money every month?She made no mention about the long standing problems we all know about that CAUSE THE DRIVER SHORTAGE. :imp:

This is one of my posts from 22nd March :confused: