Birtley truckstop closure

Just heard Birtley Truckstop had been sold as building land.
Seemed quite genuine anybody shed some light :question:
Usually full most week nights so I would think it would be big miss.

:open_mouth: That is / was one of the best ones too. :confused:

The front page of Nightowls website says they have Five sites, but only 4 are listed and Birtley is not amongst them, so it is a possibility

Sadly a truck park doesn’t make much economic sense when the land is worth so much for building. It happens all over the place. What’s needed is a national policy on truck parking areas, but it would be a very low priority and 90% of planning applications would be turned down because of NIMBY’s.

Just a quick note to confirm that yes, Birtley is closing. Helen Rayner (their spokeswoman-type) announced it on another site last week.

Can’t comment on the place, as I only ever used it once and the main thing that sticks in the mind was the potholes. In fact that’s what most drivers seem to think of first when you mention Birtley… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: …Can highly recommend the cooking of a certain Mrs Davey Driver, though - and he even came to fetch me from the truck when it was ready! :sunglasses: :wink:

Lucy:
Can highly recommend the cooking of a certain Mrs Davey Driver, though - and he even came to fetch me from the truck when it was ready! :sunglasses: :wink:

And he lives just 4 minutes walk from the end of the M194 or 2 minutes away if you park on the slip road next to Wardley Legion Club now, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wonder if the Council would object to the 900 yards of sliproad being turned into a Truckpark :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Davey Driver:
And he lives just 4 minutes walk from the end of the M194 or 2 minutes away if you park on the slip road next to Wardley Legion Club now, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wonder if the Council would object to the 900 yards of sliproad being turned into a Truckpark :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Blast, I went past there twice on Thursday. I could have dropped in for a decent cup of coffee if I’d known.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the council would object. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Simon:

You can bet your bottom dollar that the council would object. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Interestingly enough though, we have 2 local Councillor’s (Husband & Wife) Live near to the entrance of the Estate, now if there are no parking facilities for drivers once Birtley Truckstop shuts down, and a few 88 ton Juggernauts (You know how residents exagerate) start using the Sliproad for overnight parking, it should sharp create a bit of controversey :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m in most days and nights & the Kettle is a superfast boiling model :wink:

I used to park on Washington services and use the pub over the fence. Hell I even got a bus one sunday and went to the local fleapit. Gateshead I think it was called

Wheel Nut:
Hell I even got a bus one sunday and went to the local fleapit. Gateshead I think it was called

If thats the place where the Wheely bins were up on bricks, and the Alsations walk around in pairs, then yes, your right, it’s called Gateshead Lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Gateshead I think it was called

Oi.

Ken.

Truckstop is now closed been past a couple of times today everything cleared off site & fencing at the entrance. Cannot be sighned as closed as I`ve seen a couple of trucks trying to get in not much room to spin round after you come off the roundabout ANOTHER PARK BITES THE DUST :imp:

PARKING ON MOTERWAYS WILL SOON BE THE NORM :frowning: :frowning:

It shows the difference in the attitude to the haulage sector that a post in the Euro section is talking about a new secure parking area opening in France and this forum is talking about the demise of a truckstop which was not secure and basically a bit of rough ground and a building with a few facilities. And I always remember it as one of the better truckstops in the UK.

Same old story DONT WANT US ON THE ROADS NO WHERE TO PARK But if we didn`t work the Whole Country would be at a standstill in a couple of days.

Been said before but I thought I`d just repeat it :slight_smile:

i can see the day when tramping will be a thing of the past. reducing the need for truckstops even more.

i was there last week for a breakfast and the food was great was dissapointed to read the signs about it closing :cry:

Well it looks like I’ll have to invest in a Hot Dog barrow and stand on the slip road at Wardley :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Better off with a ‘ham and pease pudding stottie’, barrow Davey. :smiley:

Mmmmmmmmm…

Ken.

Do you think the local council will realise they made a big mistake by selling the land when all the trucks park in the town centre behind somerfields?