Alconbury up for sale

theres a article in this weeks Commercial Motor, it apears that the land at Alconbury Truckstop is going up for sale, with planning permisssion for industrial use…

While Alconbury may not achieve everyones ideals for a truckstop it still is a well used resource, and one of the few we have left !!

To Be totally Honest Rikki

I heard from a pretty good and reliable source quite some time ago that the Owners of Night Owl are actually Capital Venturists.

Don’t be surprised if you find that over the coming couple of years ALL the Night Owl Truckstop’s will disappear as the Land is sold off at a good profit.

The person I spoke to (When they were buying the Timers off me) basically said that the curtains were being made and they were just waiting for the fitters to come in to fit them and pull them down on Birtley, it happened not so long ago, I was also told all of them were on the list for closure and yes it appears its happened now.

The staff at Birtley were very disgruntled with the way upper management were treating them.

in Fact if anyones feels like doing a Credit check on Night Owl they may just get a shock at what they see :wink:

Just read it myself! :open_mouth:

Won’t affect me personally because if I can get as far as Alconbury I can get another 5 minutes down the road to our depot.

But I still think it’s bad for the industry. I find it ironic that it may be used for warehousing. In other words, as the demand for transportation increases, the availability of secure parking facilities decreases.

Typical, eh? :unamused:

Makes sense now why they’ve not had the truck wash repaired.

Not surprised, sadly land near main routes is worth a lot of money as industrial land,

There used to be a cafe at Godmanchester a few years back that’s now an industrial site and if Alconbury close what facilities are availible on one of the main haulage routes in the UK?

No doubt when they turn it into an industrial site they’ll ban overnight parking, sadly nobody is going to put the money needed and fight the objections to develop a range of decent truckstops in the UK.

Davey Driver:
I heard from a pretty good and reliable source quite some time ago that the Owners of Night Owl are actually Capital Venturists.

Don’t be surprised if you find that over the coming couple of years ALL the Night Owl Truckstop’s will disappear as the Land is sold off at a good profit.

I was wondering why they closed Birtley. It was full every night I was in there. It was surely not in financial decline. Carlisle is a quieter one - I bet that’s next. Will be in there for my dinner tonight on the way down the road. Will ask for any goss in there.

Lostpup:

Davey Driver:

I was wondering why they closed Birtley. It was full every night I was in there. It was surely not in financial decline. Carlisle is a quieter one - I bet that’s next. Will be in there for my dinner tonight on the way down the road. Will ask for any goss in there.

I think the decision on which ones to close and when has more to do with how much the lands worth, than how much it earns from trucks.

Lostpup:

Davey Driver:

The last and first time I went into Carlisle I asked for a meal and was advised to go into the bar and order a takeaway curry or pizza. When the manageress tells you that, it sends out a dangerous message about Night Owl food