Birds of Ireland

Does anyone have any info on the above please? Am thinking of giving them a call. I spoke to one of there drivers awhile ago and he seemed happy enough.

Cheers :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

theyve a big hub at birmingham just off the m5 tidy fleet mainly merc megaspaces and longdistances now i think

:slight_smile: And Scanias. Seen one or two down in Espana even. :open_mouth:

Supposed to be a decent job on the Euro side, I think its a bit dead mens shoes though.

Birds are actually a birmingham based company although they also have a depot at thurrock.

They started out years ago doing mainly ireland but I think most of there work now is car parts for ford so mainly germany and spain. They must still do a bit of ireland because I go over fairly regularly and there is always one of there trailers in DHL’s yard near the airport.

I don’t know if things have changed but the two depots were run independantly and I was told by the thurrock depot that I lived too far away (brighton) although the birmingham depot said they would give me a start although that came from being weekended in la jonquera with the bosses son.

Also from a piece I read somewhere in the trucking press I thinks it’s scania’a at brum and mercs at thurrock if that makes a difference to you.

By the way I never followed up the job because I’d made the decision that if I was going to change jobs then I’d try being at home a bit more so went onto UK work.

Cheers
Neilf

www.birds.co.uk

Thanks for all the info, I’ll give them a bell tomorrow.

I was told by the thurrock depot that I lived too far away (brighton)

Don’t know how I’ll stand on this as Folkestone is still a fair bit away from Purfleet, but might aswell try as nothing ventured nothing gained and all that :smiley: :smiley:

Also from a piece I read somewhere in the trucking press I thinks it’s scania’a at brum and mercs at thurrock if that makes a difference to you.

Not bothered at all what badge is on the front aslong as i can stand up and has air-con :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

See them in lapple in carlow alot, always a couple of trailers dropped there. See a no. in Northern Ireland on trailers too. Met one of them in Mercedes in bremen a few years ago. Hadn’t a word of english, Seemed sound bloke though, Lapple are car part makers so it seams they do alot of car parts.
Let me know how you get on , often thought of giving them a try,

They also have a depot in Belfast. They pull a few trailers a day out of Lapple in Carlow I think these are shunted up to Dublin By three of the northern drivers. I was told by an uncle of mine in brum that the money wasn’t great but he’s on mega bucks. One of their drivers told me they are crying out for drivers in brum but when I rang them up I was told they had enough drivers try us next week I gave up after ringing for a month. It might have been they didn’t want a driver based in Ireland don’t know. Let us know how you get on I could still be interested.
the units I’ve seen over here are scania toplines and new shape actros long distance not mega space.

Opened this expecting to read a post about Irish women…

:slight_smile:

dennisw1:
Opened this expecting to read a post about Irish women…

:slight_smile:

Already have one of them from my last visit to Ireland about 10 years ago :frowning: :confused: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Let us know how you get on I could still be interested

Got to give the Purfleet depot a ring tomorrow before i go up but will let you know. Shouldn’t really make a difference what depot you run from should it?

Do you want the number for the Purfleet depot? No idea how many they are looking for.

I do have number thanks. I didnt bother with Belfast or Purfleet as Birmingham would have been ideal all my family is in Brum and I could leave the unit in Lapple when at home.

My in-laws live about 5 mins away from the Brum depot, so fingers crossed all could work out well :smiley: :smiley: knowing my luck though it won’t.

Birds have a depot in Ballyclare @ 10 miles out of Belfast they put Belfast on the Trucks cos noone outside has heard of Ballyclare,they did/do a lot of work from the Ford plant in Belfast which isnt called Ford,they changed the name when the "troubles " were at their height, met birds son on the boat one day
“Andy” i think. Sorry I dont know what they are like to work for,but they always seemed to keep motoring.
regards derek

I know Ballyclare, my wifes from that neck of the woods :smiley:

Linux-user:

whats up linux i thought you was happy where you are.

jessicas dad:

Linux-user:

whats up linux i thought you was happy where you are.

I think content was more apt, but things have taken a bit of a dive lately. The only reason i went to my current employer was on the understanding of not doing Belgie but the runs to Germany. However after the “honeymoon” period i was getting all the Belgie and Holland and after moaning was told that it was because that is all there is.

They must think that either i came in on the banana boat or drivers don’t talk to each other as i know for a fact, and pick up the bits going to Stuttgart and Munchen. If they had told me that but given me a reason it wouldn’t of been so bad but blatant lying is something i will not and can not tolerate hence the looking of anywhere else. That coupled with other things that i shan’t go into on here means that i dreaded everyday.

On the bright side i have been to see the guys at Birds and am going to be starting on the 15th of this month, they seem decent enough. All the motors are less than 2 years old and are the Merc MP2’s i believe the fleet is split 50-50 mega-spaces and long distance. I’d be happy in either. The money is decent enough and they have already said that on my first run there will be someone in the office to go through everything with me i.e. fuelcards, phones etc etc. They also insisted that everything is run 100% legal which is also a BIG plus point :smiley: :smiley:

I’m now looking forward to writing the “I quit” letter which is to be handed in when i return to work on Monday :smiley:

I might even consider doing a diary of the first week, and am already looking forward to it.

It’s also a plus that they have depot’s in Brum and Ballyclare as both me and Mrs linux are, in the near future, looking to move. Her mum lives 10 mins from Brum depot and the rest of her family live in Antrim. So no matter which one she decides to move near there is a place nearby.

Can you see my cunning forward thinking plan?? :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses: thats just me showing off now at my own cunningness (wonder if it was spelt wrong it would get through the auto-censor heh heh :stuck_out_tongue: )

But knowing my luck a spanner will be thrown into the works somehow, oh well such is life.

good luck linux :smiley: :smiley: that diary should be interesting

Congrats Linux, keeps us informed on how you get on, and that diary would be good aswell :slight_smile: :sunglasses: :slight_smile:

well good for you im genuniely pleased for you.

a big thumbs up for you

lets have some pictures before you leave and then some of your new job as well