Bendy test today

FAILED FAILED FAILED. :frowning: :frowning: A near perfect drive. only 4 minors ( 1 reverse shunt and two mirrors 1 signal timing ) got back and done the un-coupling ok then re-couple. I released the trailer brake last ok but then must have put it back on cos the lorry didnt move FAILURE :blush: :blush: :imp: felt like examiner could have hinted in some way like asking are you sure you want me to check the lights or are you sure about the brake. :imp: :imp: . gonna cost me ÂŁ300 now for retest . Emerald are tryin to get a test next thurs or fri for me, if not then it will be july 2nd. wont happen again i can assure you of that what a 42 carat plonker i really am. thats what nerves do to ya.

NEXT TIME = :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

briandavies158:
…then re-couple.I released the trailer brake last ok but then must have put it back on cos the lorry didnt move FAILURE

On every test re-couple I’ve seen my trainees do, the truck has not moved afterwards :confused: :confused:

Re-couple - check lights - finish

How did the examiner know that it would not move :question:

And if it was needed to move after the re-couple and did not, then why didn’t the examiner ask - “why won’t it move?” leaving you to rectify a problem which by any means is not a serious IMO.

Unless to tried to power it with the trailer brake on…

This has me totally bewildered…

Me as well. The only time this would normally crop up is on the occasions when the coupling/uncoupling is done before the practical drive. But that doesn’t seem to be what happened this time. Strange

I released the trailer brake last ok but then must have put it back on cos the lorry didnt move

Sat here having a wittle about this scenario - I always like nice convenient solution! Maybe the air dropped in the uncoupling process, and with the engine not running too much during that time, it wouldn’t build up again. Just a thought.

Really must get out more!! :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Me as well. The only time this would normally crop up is on the occasions when the coupling/uncoupling is done before the practical drive. But that doesn’t seem to be what happened this time. Strange

Yeah, on mine i did the uncouple/recouple, and didnt have to move the truck at all until i left the test centre after the test :confused:

Peter Smythe:

I released the trailer brake last ok but then must have put it back on cos the lorry didnt move

Sat here having a wittle about this scenario - I always like nice convenient solution! Maybe the air dropped in the uncoupling process, and with the engine not running too much during that time, it wouldn’t build up again. Just a thought.

Really must get out more!! :laughing:

Red Airline wasn’t connected properly maybe■■?

Sorry to hear this buddy. Its got me baffled too…What did the examiner actually tell you in the de-brief afterwards?

ok the re-couple done everything ok exept take the trailer brake off. the examiner wants you to move foreward a little to check the brake lights and ensure you have released the trailer brake. thats how he knows. i didnt the trailer wouldnt move and i failed. ■■■ :frowning: and yes you are right it is not a dangerous item but unfortunatly it is a procedral thing :imp:

briandavies158:
ok the re-couple done everything ok exept take the trailer brake off. the examiner wants you to move foreward a little to check the brake lights and ensure you have released the trailer brake. thats how he knows. i didnt the trailer wouldnt move and i failed. ■■■ :frowning: and yes you are right it is not a dangerous item but unfortunatly it is a procedral thing :imp:

Must be an odd thing specific to that examiner as I’ve never seen or known that done for a CE test.

Still is a very pedantic thing to fail someone for IMO as I cannot see any unsafe issues.

briandavies158:

On mine I did the recouple, then asked the examiner to check the brakes and the lights, at no stage did the truck have to move!!!

Must be an odd thing specific to that examiner

They shouldn’t make up their own rules. Job’s tough enough as it is.

Still is a very pedantic thing to fail someone for IMO as I cannot see any unsafe issues.

Perhaps not unsafe - but a real nuisance if you can’t sort it out!!

Peter Smythe:
but a real nuisance if you can’t sort it out!!

True - but was he asked to sort it :question: - that would be the reasonable thing for an examiner to do.

If, after being asked, he did not know then that IMO would be a fail for lack of knowledge

thats what i said as leaving the trailer brake on only inconvieniances the driver cos he’s got to get out and release it. not a dangerous thing. but enough ■■■■■■■■, ill pass next time and boy will i SHOW the examiner the brake, i will SHOUT that i have released the brake and if i could i would FILM me doin it. :smiley: :laughing:

I’ve had trainees who have not taken the trailer park brake off and the examiner has asked them if they would do anything else - there reply ahould be ‘to drive a few yards and test the brakes’. If the examiners says ‘well go on then’, you know something is wrong,usually that the trailer park brake is on. Providing the trainee realises and then puts it off before moving to test the brakes, all is well, if not its a fail!

Smart Mart:
I’ve had trainees who have not taken the trailer park brake off and the examiner has asked them if they would do anything else - there reply ahould be ‘to drive a few yards and test the brakes’. If the examiners says ‘well go on then’, you know something is wrong,usually that the trailer park brake is on. Providing the trainee realises and then puts it off before moving to test the brakes, all is well, if not its a fail!

I never had a trainee asked to do a brake test after re-coupling or asked what they would do next after the lights were checked - is this something new or just unique to a particular test station :question:

like smart mart said you would expect the examiner to be a little fair and gently remind you. I think i was just another stat he had to fail so many this week well i know i can pass and come test day hopefully thurs or fri i will. if not thurs or fri then it is defo 2nd july 14:30 wrexham again. :grimacing: :laughing:

A puzzler that one, its only the driver being inconvienced if the trailer brake is left on.

Only a question but was that the fail reason or is it lost in translation? Its certainly not a reason to fail a test.

If lost in translation then maybe, I have heard many pearls on why I failed someone, all blantantly way off the real reason.

the reason for fail was given as you did not release the trailer park brake . the unit would not move foreward this confirms you did not release the trailer park brake. :confused:

gpc273:
Only a question but was that the fail reason or is it lost in translation? Its certainly not a reason to fail a test.

I had the senior training manager from the largest training school in Peterborough fail his test for not releasing the trailer park brake - that was his only serious. So what you are saying is that the examiner should not have failed him, but he certainly did!

Smart Mart:

gpc273:

I had the senior training manager from the largest training school in Peterborough fail his test for not releasing the trailer park brake - that was his only serious. So what you are saying is that the examiner should not have failed him, but he certainly did!

mine too that makes me feel better. least i now know i was’nt shafted as such