Being told when and were to have breaks

Steve-o:
There’s only so many times you can pull the “I’m tired I’m having a break” line before they know you’re taking the ■■■■

Agreed - I meant as an exeption to what they required should the occasional need arise

tofer:

ROG:

tofer:
The not stopping for the toilet thing is complete rubbish and if anyone tried that one on me I’d be sure to stop for a hefty number two at least twice a day.

Answer to that is a commode driving seat - oh, hang on, that could still be dangerous as many close their eyes when giving a good squeeze - very dangerous if doing full speed down the motorway etc, etc :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Not for me, I need a good magazine whilst I’m having a dump.

Thats even worse "Sorry Hofficer, i was taking a dump on my driving come commode seat, opened my magzine to read, felt it coming, closed my eyes and pushed and the next thing i know the lights decided to turn to red :blush: :blush: :exclamation: :exclamation: "

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

They can tell you when to have your break, where to have your break and what route to take as long as all the aforementioned comply with the law. The exceptions to that is taking a break when you feel too tired to continue safely or go to the loo or if you have to take a break at a different time because of unforseen circumstances such as a delay or detour.

They can also discipline you for not complying and I know one firm I worked at moving high value stuff where going off route was classed as gross misconduct and instantly dismissable for.

There must be a good reason for this. As some others have said, high value loads are planned this way, with fixed routes and break points (tobacco and cash spring to mind). Or the company could have found a number of drivers not complying with tacho regulations - for example, drivers regularly going over the 4.5 hrs and stating they couldn’t find anywhere to park. If that’s a regular occurrence the company would have to start planning breaks, to cover themselves if VOSA got interested.

Under normal operating conditions, it’s easier to leave it to the driver as it’s one less thing to have to plan for.

I did a few days night trunking for Movianto and they told me not to stop in any laybys or services and to have my break at the DC. I was carrying loads of drugs and medical equipment so I can see why they would not want that being nicked.

dave010:
… he works for a big dairy.

Could be the one with the black and white cow on the side - but as they don’t have the ability to plan their way out of a paper bag, I don’t think so!

So left with the one with the stupid adverts?! Can’t see it being on the milk side, unless he’s trunking, as you never go near another depot. So left with the cream side. And if that’s the case there are only two depots “well within his 4.5 driving”. (Depends where you’re based??). One of which I would definately take my break at - the other never.

Of course I could be completely wrong - it has been known!

Stan

when ive done agency for morrison’s they only wanted you to stop for breaks at stores and no where else.

i dont think anyone was suggesting that you couldnt take loo breaks anywhere
if i could take a break at a depot with good facilities that would be my preferred option
some drivers will take breaks near depots then go into the depot and do nothing for the time it takes to reload trailer in some cases they do it to gain an hours pay
when legally and morally all thats needed is to get to yard and leave truck for an hour whilst the
(un)loading is done…

re breaks not in rest room
Dave office bod Argos MP was moaning if he sat on drivers side of office when he wanted a break
he got asked to do things
so if he needed a blow he would go to smoke hut or canteen for a short break

the moral is if you want to avoid being disturbed during a break hide somewhere and
dont take your phone

Welltin You say “if a route is time critical or the load of high value I will work out my drivers breaks and tell him where and when to stop. For example, if we have to travel 2 hours to collect a load at 7am from Manchester which needs to be in Coventry 3 hours away for 11am I will tell my driver to set off early enough to get to Manchester an have his break before 7am to give a clean 4 an a half to get to Coventry. I am not implying the driver could not work this out for himself, but if I dont tell him or plan for it this way then I am not doing my job properly.”
Do you really tell drivers to take a 45 minute break after only 2hrs work? for someone so concerned at how many breaks your drivers are having you are now telling him he must have more than one break as he now has only 1 and a half driving hours left before having to take another.

if a route is time critical or the load of high value I will work out my drivers breaks and tell him where and when to stop. For example, if we have to travel 2 hours to collect a load at 7am from Manchester which needs to be in Coventry 3 hours away for 11am I will tell my driver to set off early enough to get to Manchester an have his break before 7am to give a clean 4 an a half to get to Coventry. I am not implying the driver could not work this out for himself, but if I dont tell him or plan for it this way then I am not doing my job properly.

dox:
Do you really tell drivers to take a 45 minute break after only 2hrs work? for someone so concerned at how many breaks your drivers are having you are now telling him he must have more than one break as he now has only 1 and a half driving hours left before having to take another.

Because of the time critical nature of the load, if the driver was to have a break of 45 mins between the Manchester & Coventry then arriving at Coventry would be 45 mins late or if the load was high value then the driver may not have a secured place to stop between Manchester & Coventry.
The driver cannot do the lot without a 45 break as the driving time is over 4.5 hours

ROG:

if a route is time critical or the load of high value I will work out my drivers breaks and tell him where and when to stop. For example, if we have to travel 2 hours to collect a load at 7am from Manchester which needs to be in Coventry 3 hours away for 11am I will tell my driver to set off early enough to get to Manchester an have his break before 7am to give a clean 4 an a half to get to Coventry. I am not implying the driver could not work this out for himself, but if I dont tell him or plan for it this way then I am not doing my job properly.

dox:

Because of the time critical nature of the load, if the driver was to have a break of 45 mins between the Manchester & Coventry then arriving at Coventry would be 45 mins late or if the load was high value then the driver may not have a secured place to stop between Manchester & Coventry.
The driver cannot do the lot without a 45 break as the driving time is over 4.5 hours

I take your point with regards to high value loads but i fail to see how taking a break after 4 and a half hours driving instead of after only 2 hours driving makes you 45 mins late at the other end.

ROG:

dox:
I take your point with regards to high value loads but i fail to see how taking a break after 4 and a half hours driving instead of after only 2 hours driving makes you 45 mins late at the other end.

It takes 2 hours to get to Manchester and instead of leaving enough time for a 45 break, the driver arrives just in time to load.
Laoding takes 1 hour
it is now 8am
It is a 3 hour drive to Coventry
He MUST be in Coventry for 11am

How does he get to coventry for 11am without breaking the 4.5 hour tacho driving rule :question:

ROG:

ROG:

dox:

It takes 2 hours to get to Manchester and instead of leaving enough time for a 45 break, the driver arrives just in time to load.
Laoding takes 1 hour
it is now 8am

How does he get to coventry for 11am without breaking the 4.5 hour tacho driving rule :question:

Sorry Rog i miss read the original post did not see he had to be there for 11am i was just thinking that he could leave his yard for coventry via manchester stop a half hour shy of coventry for break which leaves a full four and a half to hit coventry and get back to yard without taking a second break but like i say missed the 11am deadline of original post

dox:

Dox, I am only concerned when a driver is taking his full 45 mins breaks plus several stops of 5 to 10 minutes en route. If the driver is dividing his breaks up according to the law, and is making the delvieries on time then there is no issue. As Rog has explained, I would only tell a driver where to take a break if the load was time critical or if the load was particuarly high value.

dox:
Sorry Rog i miss read the original post did not see he had to be there for 11am i was just thinking that he could leave his yard for coventry via manchester stop a half hour shy of coventry for break which leaves a full four and a half to hit coventry and get back to yard without taking a second break but like i say missed the 11am deadline of original post

Careful mate or else you will be getting SENIOR MOMENTS put in place of SENIOR MEMBER - like me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Fair comment welltin, have already apologised to Rog as i miss read the deadline bit of the original post and was just trying to say the job may have been completed without the use of additional breaks.

ROG:

dox:

Careful mate or else you will be getting SENIOR MOMENTS put in place of SENIOR MEMBER - like me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Things are getting bad pal never noticed you had SENIOR MOMENTS in place of SENIOR MEMBER :blush: :blush: :blush:

jessicas dad:
when ive done agency for morrison’s they only wanted you to stop for breaks at stores and no where else.

a few agency drivers have been banned from morrisions at swan valley (home of the poison dwarf) :laughing: for stopping in lay-bys…lucky #@*%$£% :smiley:

ROG:

ROG:

dox:

Laoding takes 1 hour
it is now 8am

hope this is not a trick question cos the answer is to easy :smiley:
drive 2 hrs to manchester
park on bay and have your 45 break
now you got 4hrs 30mins driving to get to cov
now he will probally need another 45 before he gets back to yard so he can have that where he wants and everybodys happy :laughing:

did i win a prize :smiling_imp:

Companies should have the right to dictate where you take your breaks only if it has proper facilities many rdc’s won’t even let drivers use toilets let alone canteen.
Why should we be told to take our breaks while on a bay where they take your keys or even worse lock you out of your motor while they unload you? A break is only a break if you’re free to dispose of your time any way you choose.