Breaks

Hey.

Just a quick question ladies and gents.

I have always had a solid 50 min break when its due.But last night i tryed another way as it was a scotland run from the midlands.

Started at 10pm
Vechicle checks/paper work till 1015
Then got underneath trailor,Then went and spoke to the loaders.Was told there waiting on 6 pallets.Was then told should be good to go in 30-45min.

I put it on break for 30 min(at this time id only driven 4min in yard)left at 1055pm

I got going then pulled in to tebay services at 240am and i took 32min break to complete.

Is this split fine to do?

Many thanks

Seems ok to me :smiley:

Yes of course it is.

Yes

Yes it’s good as long as you have at least 1 minute of driving recorded before that first break.

I’ve done this myself plenty of times when I’ve had to wait for a trailer to be loaded, it’s perfectly legal.

You may take the 45 minute break in 2 sections. The first section must be at least 15 minutes and the second section at least 30 minutes. You cannot have these breaks the other way around. If you take anything less than 45 minutes then you must take a second break of at least 30 minutes.

Spot on pal.

yep spot on fella as its been said … as long as there is some form of movement recorded on the tacho your quite entiteled to have a break at 1 min driving.

MY OWN FEELING
This is purely my own feeling, but I wonder all though legal how the authorities would view drivers who do this on a regular basis ie every shift.
I know its legal but take in to account if a driver was to do this all the time, then has a very serious accident ( his Fault ) I do wonder if a court would find the act of a rest break so early in a shift a little odd and a contributory factor…

Cheers for the replys.It seemed to work out well.I suppose its just the case of spliting your breaks when it makes sence to.

cheers again

Yep fine by the regs. I’ve often been surpirised that i’ve snuck in a 15 minute early on after only a few minutes shunting about and only needed a 30 later on.
Of course I have made up for this later on when the jobs done and planners are happy and off my back.

Hello all.

There is another way when you get this type of situation. Since you only drove for like 4 mins putting tacho on a break was not necessary, maybe POA would have been better and this way your working time has some leeway if needed. When you stopped at Tebay services have your 30 min. In any case whatever is ideal for you, as long as your safe and legal which obviously you are.

Singh5:
Hello all.

There is another way when you get this type of situation. Since you only drove for like 4 mins putting tacho on a break was not necessary, maybe POA would have been better and this way your working time has some leeway if needed. When you stopped at Tebay services have your 30 min. In any case whatever is ideal for you, as long as your safe and legal which obviously you are.

both POA and break do not count as working time
POA will make the tacho think its a break
By not having at least 15 mins break will mean a 45 will be needed later and not a 30

I fail to see what point you are making

ROG:

Singh5:
Hello all.

both POA and break do not count as working time
POA will make the tacho think its a break
By not having at least 15 mins break will mean a 45 will be needed later and not a 30

I fail to see what point you are making

And if you’re using poa as a break your a naughty naughty lorry driver :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I am not suggesting using POA for a break and would never do it. Since he knew how long the delay was or was not sure for example, does POA not get used for this very purpose? If you got to have a break fine go ahead. There is no mention of how long his shift is but going to Scotland I thought you would want to save your breaks, no?

Singh5:
I am not suggesting using POA for a break and would never do it. Since he knew how long the delay was or was not sure for example, does POA not get used for this very purpose? If you got to have a break fine go ahead. There is no mention of how long his shift is but going to Scotland I thought you would want to save your breaks, no?

No limit to the number of breaks a driver can have

Rog beat me to it, I was just thinking that’s what the previous post was getting at. Like the people that think you lose what you don’t use in 2x 4.5hr drives so only get 1hr drive after 2x 45mins.

Singh5:

Why would you need to save breaks as you can have as many as you wish? Not using POA in this case saved him 15 minutes at work so he got finished and heading home earlier. If he had used POA as you suggest he would have had to take either a 15-minute break before his break at Tebay or taken 45 minutes instead or the 30 minutes he took there.

Ok I guess your right. I am an Agency Driver but not a poor one and always willing to pick up more knowledge. Been driving for a few years so have gained a fair amount of experience. The work I do from Burton-upon-Trent for Molson Coors brewery, Tradeteam-DHL operate the transport. I am from Derby so it is ideal for me to travel Local. The job involves being a bit careful with breaks and POA’s and watching your hours because shifts are long and you have to calculate the most efficient way of breaks and poa with working time. But I guess this is the norm for most truckers. If I Keep my breaks to the minimum required say 15 then 30, or 2x30’s or even one 45 as needed by each working shift then I only deduct that from working hours, keeping my hours medium to high for a decent wage. Loads of breaks, then surely I show this on my timesheet? I suppose if your paid salary it will not matter because wage is fixed.

I sometime split my breaks like this if it suits me my boss know this & is fine

Dont worry about being agency driver just put down 45 min break on time sheet simple as that dont matter weather you split it or not but only do so if it suits you as the op did

Regarding pay for recorded breaks - depends what it says in your contract of employment

Many agencies etc state the first 45 mins will not be paid which means the rest will be for example