Barnett & Graham

It’s not that long since Barnett & Graham of Penrith ceased trading. At one time they were a massive business with over 100 trucks, the MAN dealership in ■■■■■■■ and Scotland plus a double glazing company. It is a pity when such great company’s go out of business, can anyone else remember them.

did they have green wagons■■?

dreva:
did they have green wagons■■?

yes

I remember them George,their yard was on the A66 towards Workington just over the M6.They had a yard in Buxton IIRC.
When I worked for GGD in the 80s,we used their yard to changeover when on trunk. When I say yard it was like the surface of the moon and a work of art finding a decent spot to drop yer trailer in the dark. Whatever goes wrong that causes these big haulage concerns to go down? Barnett and Graham were a big outfit as you say.Yes, the wagons were green Dreva,mostly if not all, were tippers I think.

i think they used to pull wool out of courtaulds in bradford 87 88 ish :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dreva:
i think they used to pull wool out of courtaulds in bradford 87 88 ish :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Not all tippers then. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dreva:

They took over GW Holiday who I believe had a contract with Courtaulds

They had a few bulk powder tankers pulled by MAN units as they used to load out of our quarry, they were green and cream. The other firm who used to come in with artics was Sloans who I think were from north of the border.

Pete.

They also had a little depot around the Haslingden/Rawtenstall area in Lancashire, possibly a leftover from the G W Holliday tie up? because I’m sure they also had a depot in the same area before takeover. I think the B & G depot was shared with a big egg producing company that had a large production facility there.
Regards
Dave Penn;

windrush:
They had a few bulk powder tankers pulled by MAN units as they used to load out of our quarry, they were green and cream. The other firm who used to come in with artics was Sloans who I think were from north of the border.

Pete.

Sloans were based at Broxburn, W. Lothian.

I worked for them middle 70’s, a normal trunk for Sloan would be Broxburn-Buxton load powder tip Dumfries & return to Broxburn.

His son Derek went on to found Continental Freeze.
Dave.

Didn’t they have a yard near Basenthwaite Lake? I remember years ago calling in there for backloads out of the steel works at Workington, be back in the 70s I would think with Midlands Storage.

Spardo:
Didn’t they have a yard near Basenthwaite Lake? I remember years ago calling in there for backloads out of the steel works at Workington, be back in the 70s I would think with Midlands Storage.

That was JW Graham of Bassenthwaite Lake, they ran a fleet of Seddon Atkinsons.

georgeking:

Spardo:

Oh right, same family though was it? Green motors as I remember it.
And BTW this was well before the era of SedAks, they had real Atkis I think. :wink: :laughing:

Spardo:

georgeking:

Spardo:

Oh right, same family though was it? Green motors as I remember it.
And BTW this was well before the era of SedAks, they had real Atkis I think. :wink: :laughing:

Not sure about being the same family could be, yes they did run Atkinsons.

also had man franchise in carlise.