The best Penrith haulier of the 60s/70s & 80s

With Penrith not having much in the way of locally generated traffic it never the less created a niche’ for its-self as a hot bed of hauliers that operated between Scotland and the rest of the UK(much to the anoyance of the Scottish hauliers no doubt!) So over the years listed there were a good number of hauliers from around the Penrith area who came and went for whatever reason.The question I as an outsider would like to pose is this.Who can be acknowledged to have been the finest operator/employer in the area and some of the firms I have in mind would be Burnholm,Hendersons,Barnett & Graham,GW Holiday,JR Wilson , The Great Curly(you don’t think I’m biased I hope!!)Stampers,(Penrith & Culgaith) Savage Transport, Tuers and the Shap hauliers and anyone I have failed to mention! I put Burnholm first not because I favour them its to avoid me getting another torrent of abuse!!! I must also declare an interest as the number of times I have helped a Penrith Haulier get through an MOT at Minlthorpe thereby avoiding a fail and a costly journey back home to have to return for a re-test are more than you could shake a stick at!!( I honestly think I should have been awarded The Penrith Medal for services to Road Transport(with two Bars)! Keep your elbows in down Hucks Brow!!! Bewick.

You forgot Glass Glover Distribution Dennis,they had four drivers outbased in Penrith,two on afters and two on neets-Littlewoods contract :laughing:
Barnett and Graham must have had the biggest fleet in the 70s/80s even if they weren’t the best to work for?
Wasn’t Sam Ostle from round that way?

Chris Webb:
You forgot Glass Glover Distribution Dennis,they had four drivers outbased in Penrith,two on afters and two on days-Littlewoods contract :laughing:
Barnett and Graham must have had the biggest fleet in the 70s/80s even if they weren’t the best to work for?

Hiya Chris do you think the thread will be inundated? I was mainly concerned with “Home grown talent” as I know there were quite a few firms that used Penrith & Shap as a change over point but they wern’t indigiouness (that word will keep you busy! if I spelt it correctly doh!)to the area.Just wait Chris the abuse may start to flow in a bit (I hope!)Dennis.

Bewick:

Chris Webb:
You forgot Glass Glover Distribution Dennis,they had four drivers outbased in Penrith,two on afters and two on days-Littlewoods contract :laughing:

Hiya Chris do you think the thread will be inundated? I was mainly concerned with “Home grown talent” as I know there were quite a few firms that used Penrith & Shap as a change over point but they wern’t indigiouness (that word will keep you busy! if I spelt it correctly doh!)to the area.Just wait Chris the abuse may start to flow in a bit (I hope!)Dennis.

:smiley:
Indigenous tha means,I can see Kendal Grammar didn’t work for yer :smiley: .
Aye,going back to Penrith hauliers the ones I remember well were Stamper,Barnett and Graham,Burnholme and Holliday.You mentioned Henderson,was that the same firm from Alston with the green motors,and Sam Ostle was in the area wasn’t he,even if he weren’t in t’parish. :laughing:

Me too, Stampers, Barnett & Graham and was Alderson frae Penrith

Chris Webb:

Bewick:

Chris Webb:

:smiley:
Indigenous tha means,I can see Kendal Grammar didn’t work for yer :smiley: .
Aye,going back to Penrith hauliers the ones I remember well were Stamper,Barnett and Graham,Burnholme and Holliday.You mentioned Henderson,was that the same firm from Alston with the green motors,and Sam Ostle was in the area wasn’t he,even if he weren’t in t’parish. :laughing:

Hiya Chris my three brothers went to Kendal grammer school but I didn’t!! yes Hendersons were from Alston but the transport side operated from Langwathby near Penrith I did a bit of work with them in the70s Bob Henderson was a larger than life charachter if ever there was one!! And his son Tony was a grand lad to deal with and I believe he is now running a Limosine hire firm.Sambo might not want to be lumped in with Penrith!!!Cheers Dennis.

Wheel Nut:
Me too, Stampers, Barnett & Graham and was Alderson frae Penrith

I think Aldersons were from Appleby Malc,they ran some grand tackle years ago. :sunglasses:

When I drove for Humber McVeigh’s,we used to load ex Massey Ferguson’s in Trafford Park,Manchester,just as many Stampers used to load as wellmulti drop up to maybe 20 drops,tractor parts,tractors etc etc,never liked their colour scheme brown and yellow!!!

Take it easy

David

5thwheel:
When I drove for Humber McVeigh’s,we used to load ex Massey Ferguson’s in Trafford Park,Manchester,just as many Stampers used to load as wellmulti drop up to maybe 20 drops,tractor parts,tractors etc etc,never liked their colour scheme brown and yellow!!!

Take it easy

David

Considering the number of old hauliers and a good number of past and present drivers that must live around Penrith the silence is deafening!!!Bewick.

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Take it easy

David

Considering the number of old hauliers and a good number of past and present drivers that must live around Penrith the silence is deafening!!!Bewick.

No contest it was CURLY CARGILL!! why didn’t I just state that when I put the thread on !! Bewick.

Bewick:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Take it easy

David

No contest it was CURLY CARGILL!! why didn’t I just state that when I put the thread on !! Bewick.

Stamper a close second place !

Trev_H:

Bewick:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Take it easy

David

Stamper a close second place !

I would say J.H.Henderson or G.W.Holliday equal second Trev! Bewick.(this might bring someone out the woodwork!!)

Ah! I wasn’t classing Henderson as a Penrith haulier, he ran some smart ERF’s. from Alston?

Trev_H:
Ah! I wasn’t classing Henderson as a Penrith haulier, he ran some smart ERF’s. from Alston?

Hendersons motors ran from Langwathby Trev which is a village close to Penrith they didn’t drag all the way up and down to Alston! Bewick.

Penrith always held a fascination with me because of it’s haulage connections.

There has to be only one best Penrith haulier of the 60s/70s & 80s and that is Barnett and Graham they were miles ahead of anyone else at the time, at one time they had up to 100 truck working for them, they bought out GW Holiday in the 80’s this nearly brought them down, I can’t understand why Arthur Hewitson did not sell out whilst he was at the top.

Now it is AW Jenkinson followed by the Dent farming company.

Anyone remember G& AM Lund and Bulmans from Penrith.

georgeking:
There has to be only one best Penrith haulier of the 60s/70s & 80s and that is Barnett and Graham they were miles ahead of anyone else at the time, at one time they had up to 100 truck working for them, they bought out GW Holiday in the 80’s this nearly brought them down, I can’t understand why Arthur Hewitson did not sell out whilst he was at the top.

Hi George,what happened to B and G’s yard,IIRC it was other side of M6 on A66 on the left towards W’ton and Glass Glover changed over there at night as did a couple of Robsons.They ran MANs and had Penrith and Buxton on the doors.

Chris Webb:

georgeking:

Hi George,what happened to B and G’s yard,IIRC it was other side of M6 on A66 on the left towards W’ton and Glass Glover changed over there at night as did a couple of Robsons.They ran MANs and had Penrith and Buxton on the doors.

They had the MAN dealership Borderman Trucks, I read somewhere that some other business, not a haulage contractor, are based in their old yard at Stainton.

georgeking:

Chris Webb:

georgeking:

They had the MAN dealership Borderman Trucks, I read somewhere that some other business, not a haulage contractor, are based in their old yard at Stainton.

Curly Cargill gets my vote as he ran one of, if not the most, Immaculate fleets in the UK his tackle was faultless and he was a dyed in the wool ERF man right to the end!! Dennis.

Bewick:

georgeking:

Chris Webb:

georgeking:

Curly Cargill gets my vote as he ran one of, if not the most, Immaculate fleets in the UK his tackle was faultless and he was a dyed in the wool ERF man right to the end!! Dennis.

Dennis who was John Popeye Hodson a clearing house man from Penrith but worked out of Scotland?

georgeking:

Bewick:

georgeking:

Chris Webb:

georgeking:

Dennis who was John Popeye Hodson a clearing house man from Penrith but worked out of Scotland?

Used to hear his name mentioned but we never really ran to Glasgow much until later years.Dennis.