Barnett & Graham Penrith

Has anyone any history , photo’s , information , etc regarding this now long gone company .

Sorry shugg,no photos,but I remember B and G well,Penrith and Buxton and in the early 80s,when I worked for Glass Glover Distribution,we used to change over in their yard which was past the M6 on the A66 going west. It was like the surface of the bloody moon! :smiley:

Chris Webb:
Sorry shugg,no photos,but I remember B and G well,Penrith and Buxton and in the early 80s,when I worked for Glass Glover Distribution,we used to change over in their yard which was past the M6 on the A66 going west. It was like the surface of the bloody moon! :smiley:

Yeah the depot at Penrith was in the old Stainton Quarry, just off the A66 it was a poor surface but U/turns were against the rules,i delivered derv to them many many times.Vic

Here’s one that Robroy put on last November.Hope he wont mind me putting it on here for you shugg’s
manbarnettpic.jpg

Their wagons were regulars in Ballidon Quarry, either for bulk powder or a load of bags. The driver’s would always have a chat with you, seemed a decent bunch.

Pete.

Stanfield:
Here’s one that Robroy put on last November.Hope he wont mind me putting it on here for you shugg’s0

Wonder where he got it from ? wagonpics.com/manp27.htm

truckfing:

Stanfield:
Here’s one that Robroy put on last November.Hope he wont mind me putting it on here for you shugg’s0

Whoops. No harm done I hope.

Stanfield:

truckfing:

Stanfield:

Whoops. No harm done I hope.

None at all John, just don’t don’t try and sell it on ebay. (there are many more examples on here)

I.I.R.C. they also had a depot in the 90’s on the A56 near Ramsbottom, it might of been in what was the old Stringfellow depot. Maybe Moomooland can tell us, he might even have a photo or two.

mushroomman:
I.I.R.C. they also had a depot in the 90’s on the A56 near Ramsbottom, it might of been in what was the old Stringfellow depot. Maybe Moomooland can tell us, he might even have a photo or two.

I vaguely recall them taking over a firm called Halliday or Holliday in the 70s but could be totally wrong. Google came up with this address.

Barnett & Graham Ltd
Ewood Bridge Mill
Manchester Road
Rossendale
Lancashire BB4 6LB

truckfing:

mushroomman:

I vaguely recall them taking over a firm called Halliday or Holliday in the 70s but could be totally wrong. Google came up with this address.

Barnett & Graham Ltd
Ewood Bridge Mill
Manchester Road
Rossendale
Lancashire BB4 6LB

I remember seeing one of theirs quite often parked up at the Stringfellow Transport yard, maybe they were loading there or the driver was having a few dodgies :laughing: .

This is the building that I was thinking of and as you can see it’s still painted in two tone Barnett and Graham green :slight_smile: .

maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=53 … .99,0,7.5

Harry Gill might remember this building when it belonged to Stringies as he did a bit of work for them but that was along time ago and it used to painted blue and black.
The Pack Horse pub which was across the road has now gone and somebody once told me that this was where an old Toll Bar used to be on the pack horse route to Whalley Abbey although I dont know how true that was.

Barnett & Graham Ltd
Ewood Bridge Mill
Manchester Road
Rossendale
Lancashire BB4 6LB
truckfing wasn’t this the yard that J&E Transport owned at Haslingden in the late 60s just before the roundabout(what is their now) as you come up the old road from Edenfield. They ran a few AECs IIRC

I don’t know the yard at all John, I just got the address off Google but somewhere in the back of my mind I have the name Halliday (or Holiday, there is a lot of room back there). I am sure that Barnett and Graham bought them out but still ran them under their own name. This was in the early 70s.

Hello
Heres one of Barnetts before they packed in.
Kindest Regards
■■■■■■■■ Gill

003.jpg

The place that Mushrooman has googled is the old Stringfellows place though the parking area has been filled in with the buildings.Follow the direction of the camera and you will go past what was Richard Nutalls place on the right,keep left at the junction and you will come to J&E’s old depot which has long been apartments.The Hollidays place was,I think, down towards Rawtenstall on the right before the big r/bout. As an aside, before arriving at J&E’s there was on the right, W.Smith livestock transporters, whose address was Ewood Bridge, my late Dad drove for them though they were at Radcliffe then.

Hello Boden, Richard Nuttalls :smiley: now thats a name that I haven’t heard of for many a year. I mentioned to Harry in a P.M. a couple of days ago about a small company that used to be where the car wash is now opposite The Eagle And Child, was that Halliday’s ?
I always wondered if Richard Nuttall, James Nuttall or Edward Nuttall (and there was another one) were relations.
Without trying to divert from the Barnett And Graham thread what was the name of the cafe that was on the left of the A56 between Shuttleworth and Edenfield just before The Duckworth Arms. I am sure that somebody on here remembered it a couple of years ago, I remember that there was a good view of Peel Tower across the valley from the lorry park and about twenty five years ago they built a couple of houses on the site.

Regards Steve.

mushrooman

have sent pm

truckfing:

Stanfield:

I don,t remember claiming it was mine, I was only taking pics from one site to another, to show anybody that was interested,… so what,s your point exactly ■■?
(OR… if it was YOUR pic :blush: :blush: Thanks for the use of it :blush: :laughing: )

Barnett and Graham’s original depot was Woodlands Garage (the filling station on the B5305 at Catterlen some 500 yards west of Jct 41 M6.) where they operated from in the 1960s and early 70s. One vehicle I distinctly remember was an ex R.Hanson, Wakefield ■■? CWW registered six wheel Foden Mickey Mouse cabbed tipper. George W Holliday operated from a house about 200 yards away at Catterlen where he built a garage ( now Ken & Stuart Stalkers depot) George Holliday ran a fleet of AEC Mercury and Marshalls painted in the same style as J & E Transport who he worked alongside or for, for many years until the demise of the Dundee jute industry. George moved to a new depot in Penrith and worked alongside Geof Bell, Carlisle for a time. I don’t think B&G ever took them over but I may be wrong.
Cheers Leyland 600

Im sure the were MAN Dealers also before they closed their doors, They allways had a nice fleet of motors whenever you saw them.Regards Larry.