avice needed

i passed my ce test last year and been driving for a local firm tramping 4/5 nights out on containers for 5 months, maxing out your hours low paid etc £400 on top regardless of hours worked + night out money at £20 p/n, after xmas i had no work for 4 wks also no pay or retainer, so went onto agency driving for well known supermarket chain, the runs are regular as clockwork so its not 1 day here or 2 days there as and when req. The problem is i cant get on with 4/5 nights out 2 is plenty for me as ive got young kids at home. Ive phoned the agency back up and the work is there if i want it 5-6 days afters, nights. do i pack in a full time job or go with agency…
cheers

Hi Millers,
Only you can decide mate but I would say if your still waiting for container work now and it’s not really what you want then give the agency a couple of weeks and see If they come up with the work they’ve told you they have. You’ll be earning a lot more and be home every morning for your kids.
I know work is pretty hard to find at the moment so if they keep blowing you out but your other work picks up with you then it may be best to ride it out until this country picks itself up again.
Not much help probably but no one else can make your decisions.
All the best.
Streaky.

Tell the firm you want a week off and see if the agency deliver.

Don’t sound like you’re actually “employed” by the firm if they lay you off as and when. Do they stop you tax & NI, by law they have to pay at least Bank Hols.

i did some work with with the agency only a few days tho, as soon as work found out they got me back working , the agency job runs are as regular as clockwork same day runs etc. yes they do pay tax n.i and hols but they lay you off without a days notice if there is no work in without pay…

Tell them to shove their job. At the end of the day you still have bills to pay, and all they are doing is using you to suit them. Does the gaffer not pay himself when things are quiet as well then? No. Didn’t think so.

People need to stand up to this sort of vermin, so that they will go out of business, but as long as they see the likes of yourself willing to accept this sort of ■■■■, they’ll continue to trade.

You’ve now got a little bit of experience, and the agency obviously trust you despite you being a newbie, but go and have a chat with them, and see what they can offer you.

Ken.

milllers1:
i did some work with with the agency only a few days tho, as soon as work found out they got me back working , the agency job runs are as regular as clockwork same day runs etc. yes they do pay tax n.i and hols but they lay you off without a days notice if there is no work in without pay…

You might as well be on the agency as work for that bunch of users. Can’t believe you need to ask!

I’d strongly say go to the agency. If they dont have any class 1 work for you then you can drop down to class 2, 7.5t or vans and you will still have SOME cash coming in. As you are, when your laid off you have no cash at all.

I went to Manpower for a months work and they came through for me. I paid for my class 1 with what i earned with them.

go with the agency.the container guy is taking the michael.300 quid for max hours and 4or 5 nights out is ludicrus

blow him out :frowning:

cheers for the replies, i need to re word what i put sorry…
im currently working for the containers, the wage is £400 before tax n.i regardless of hours worked, also night money is extra at £20p/n
thanks milllers1

With that do you receive working tax credit :question: & child tax credit :question: as there are a lot of other benefits to this

I would stay where you are but when quiet go to the agency then you will be using both to your advantage until you can get something better

So you earn £400 basic so after tax thats £310 take home plus £80 n/o money so in total £390 to £400 take home.I know you are working to the max but how much time do you spend sleeping while being tipped■■?
My advise would be stay where you are you have a family to think of .
This is from a man that has made big mistakes and is paying for them (Greener Grass) eta
I dont trust agencies they are full of bull T.R.G told me i would work 5 to 6 days a week so far they have offered me nothing in 2 months, Driver hire aylesbury been on with them since nov 10 so far nothing .
I know you love your family and want to spend more time with them but think very hard before you jump
You dont want to end up like me waiting around for tescos staff to reduce bread and things
Have a very hard think!

regards bs

milllers1:
cheers for the replies, i need to re word what i put sorry…
im currently working for the containers, the wage is £400 before tax n.i regardless of hours worked, also night money is extra at £20p/n
thanks milllers1

I’m afraid to say that rate is as good as it gets around my part of the world, but to lay you off when quiet ? Can an employer do that ?

If they can, you need to consider we seem to be hitting a very lean period, so if whoever you work for is low on the food chain boxes will be hard to come by, and you could be on half that money :unamused:

Any added value to working for your lot ? If not you might want to consider looking around.

you can get one from any good tool stockist

commonrail:
you can get one from any good tool stockist

some of the bad ones stock them too