Aussie Driver wanting info

Hi Every1
Im an Aussie driver looking to come to England , I have an australian HC licence which is the equivalent to ur HGV (I think) it is for truck trailer combinations. I dont think i’ll have trouble working over there as i am a duel passport holder there British /Australia i was born in England. Just wondering about availability of work hourly pay or mile rate & any suggestions of best areas to work(i have relatives in the Bolton Lancs area. Still i have never been back to where i was born & would love to have a look + watch Bolton play.
Anyway any advice would be appreciated & yes i know what im getting myself into as i have 15 years experience local & longhaul.
Cheers wilkog015

sorry matey, once you exchange your licence with the DVLA they will only give you cat B licence, how do i know this?, my mums fella is dual nationality, Aussie & British, he was in RAF for 20 odd years had all licences even Tanker licence (was a refueller) and as soon as he came here and exchanged his licence, they just gave him a standard licence all he can drive upto is a van

you can give DVLA a call and see whats what, but i doubt you will be driving anything but a van over here.

Soz

This link should give you the DVLAs position on your Aussie licence.

Briefly, you need to pass a UK HGV test to drive anything bigger than a 7.5tonner.

I think you’ll be limited to 3.5 tonnes.

Welcome to TruckNet UK wilkog015 :smiley:

mrpj:
I think you’ll be limited to 3.5 tonnes.

and to think he may have been driving roadtrains down under

YOU WANNA LEAVE OZ…■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: to come here…■■ :confused: :confused: :bulb:
i tell you what we can do one of those exchange programs like in school
swap licences wifes :smiling_imp: ect,ect i will even get the xxxx in the fridge for ya… :wink:

Sounds like my experience in New South 40 odd years ago, Wilcog.

In Darwin they gave me a full licence no question and stuck me straight behind the wheel of a roadtrain, but in Sydney I had to take a test for a 4 wheeler.
The reason? My English licence said ‘Heavy Motor Car’, the official UK name for a truck in those days, and my NT one just said ‘Lorry’. I kid you not. Apparently in NSW if it didn’t say ‘Semi’ it wasn’t genuine. :frowning:

Best of luck though mate,

Salut, David.

Hi all from oz ty 4 ur replies, good too see u can get some advice from u blokes & ty 4 the offer johnny i almost thought about taking u up on it would of been nice m8 but then when i’d read it all u said u had xxxx beer in fridge 4 me omg thats a swear word to a New South Welshman we not only beat em in the rugby league we dont like em 2 much lol, also u know y Queenslanders call their beer xxxx ?..they cant spell lol

you just posted on a canadian website that you want to emigrate there - cant you make ya mind up fella? lol

Welcome to TruckNet UK Cattleman :smiley:

Well cattleman didnt u read the above posts gotta hand in your licence & get a car 1 anyway wats wrong with driving around in a truck seeing the world & getting paid for it lol.

Dont come to Bolton its ■■■ here lol

NO work unless you want crap wages

Add onto the fact you wanna fly around the world to see Bolton play football i think your NUTS!!! lol I live next door to the stadium and wont go.

Now if you move to Old Tafford thats a different thing LOL

Thanks convoy!

yeah nowt wrong with that wilkog dont give up and research well into all aspects - not knocking ya mate - your own trying to do better for yourself - just look into it well so that you dont find yourself worse off!
britian is very expensive -housing is expensive petrol is expensive - i love my home country but we left for a better life!

if you need any advice on coming to canada feel free to ask

:slight_smile:

You both seem to freely offer good advice, so welcome both Wilcog15 and Cattleman to TrucknetUK. Hope you like it here and apologies for the belated welcome :wink:.

cheers lib :smiley: