Are we condeming our kids to be truck drivers?

my dad drove a truck so did grandad. Is truck driving a truck a genetic disorder?

Definitely not… :sunglasses:

My old man drove tankers
I drive tankers
My sons WILL NOT drive a truck for a ‘living’

Unless they really want to :wink: :wink:

my dad never had a car licence yet alone an HGV, grandad would have had to be a steam engine driver, but he wasn’t
My son was a Tank driver before he died
I am the only truck driver even in my extended family

deleted

my grandad drove a horse and cart on general haulage does that count.
He also drove one on the Somme in WW1.
My son got his HGV years before me, so for me it’s the other way around. Looking at it another way three out of four generations worked in haulage so maybe it is. :confused: :laughing: :laughing:

My dad drove a luton for Autobar, and setup his own coach co, my grandfather drove mail trains, including the Sir Nigel Gresley, until his untimely demise at farnley junction in 1977.

I’m happiest when moving so I guess it’s in my blood, or something, if my sons and daughters wish to drive when older then I won’t stop them, I’ll just instill they need a good education as well.

wont be a lot of haulage done by british based lorries in this country by the time this generation get old enough except for store deliveries

I am alone in our family, it definatly isn’t in my genes to be a driver but it’s all I ever wanted to do after living in a house that had a view of a tarmac plant. From te earliest memory of watching that plant it is all I ever wanted to do. Unfortuneatly my son who is 3, is obsessed about anything with wheels, and especially trucks. I fear the worst :cry:

My grandad (was) a truck driver, got too old now, dads a truck driver as are my two uncles and now me :slight_smile:

I did my education bit at college and all that malarky, and soon as went 21 wanted to do my test and go driving for a “bit”… was a year ago now and i like my job alot, so who knows when ill come off :smiley:

I think if you grow up knowing the industry then your probably likely to go into it some way or another…

my dad was a farmer.

got into multi drop via a mate… best thing i done taking my class 1

Traz:
my dad was a farmer.

so was mine, although he had his own livestock truck and a class 3 licence

my grandad was a driver, my dad is a driver aswell, guess I’m following the family tradition although I did do 10 years in the army before becoming adriver

My old man was a Test Pilot.

My dad works for BT, was kinda destined for a job wi them, but as I am colour blind, its kinda ruled out.

I got interested in driving through working for a builders merchant, new trucks every 5 years, never the same surroundings each day, jobs a good un!!!

My uncle drives for Driver Hire, trunking to Carnforth from Edinburgh. He says its good so that kinda put the icing on the cake for me. That and fracturing a bone in my spine falling from half built scaffolding thus rendering me unable to carry out my chosen trade!!! :angry: :angry: :wink:

No one in my family had anything todo with transport so im the first and hopfully the last. saying that i started at 17 and my dad said i was daft to do it but i have never been without work in 38 years ,so it can’t be all bad.

my dad was a lorry driver and i was all over europe by the time i was 6. so that was me bitten by the bug. :imp:

davedb67:
Is truck driving a truck a genetic disorder?

It is in our family.

My dad was a driver for most of his working life, I drive for a living and although my brother doesn’t drive for a living, he has his class 1 licence.

I am hoping my daughter will get her licence when she is 21. Only 20 years and 8 months to go! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

davedb67:
my dad drove a truck so did grandad. Is truck driving a truck a genetic disorder?

:question: I really like driving trucks for a living and I’m proud of my occupation. If I didn’t like it, I’d get different kind of work.

What I find difficult to understand is why some drivers say they hate the job, it’s crap and no kid of mine is going to do this etc, and then they keep doing the job! :confused:

If you really don’t like it…do a different job, or stop complaining and get on with it! There’s no wonder the transport industry in this country has such a poor profile when the very people who “drive” it won’t stop moaning about it! Amazing!

Incidentally, I’ll very supportive of my kids, whatever career they chose…that’s part of what parenting is about. I’ll be happy if they want to drive trucks. It’s done me proud BTW and given them a very good upbringing!

My dad drove for Courtaulds, Then became a copper,

Either way I was doomed :laughing: