Sons & Daughters

Out of curiosity…who on here is the Son or Daughter of a truck driver?

My old man was and I have many fond memories of it.

Yep, my old man. He used to take me out with him when he could.

Yes. My dad was a truck driver, and I reckon most truckers today probably only got into the industry because they followed in their dads footsteps.

Me and Dad used to drive for the same firm, in fact so did my uncle. When I had a new Alpha and some drivers complained of favouritism, the workshop manager played along with it. Dad had had the first Next Gen’ Alpha on the firm, my uncle got the first next Gen 6wheeler, so WM told the whiners and the cryers that I might aswell have the next one and keep it in the family.
Drivers being drivers they believed it. Several didn’t speak for some time.
I take my son with me occasionally and my boss welcomes it, believes it’s the best way to get them interested. His 11 year old can already drive a JCB well enough to load our lorries.

^^ Yes I agree, although dads dad was an undertaker.

I used to go off with my Dad until he packed in when I was about 12.
I then went away with a couple of mates who were drivers when I was in my teens. That was the time when drivers had more about them than to park in ■■■■ lay bys all week :unamused: , so I was shown the ‘sights’ of the seedier sides of different towns and cities, good pubs and clubs (not for the faint hearted :smiley: ) loved it and got hooked.
The social side of the job is much different to those days, but I still try, and manage, to get out on a night out, …albeit not as wild :laughing:
Both my lads (and girls) came with me both UK and Euro, and they all loved it, but I managed to talk them out of becoming drivers, and both lads have better paid jobs than me.

My Grandad used to drive 7.5’s delivering timber and bricks into London, after that he drove a bin lorry. My dad was a section manager at Tesco before he died.

My dad is a driver and I used to go with him as a kid. My boss doesn’t have a problem with drivers bringing there kids but most sites we go on won’t allow it so I won’t be bringing my little one when he is old enough.
Quite glad in a way as it’s a pretty crap job now days.

My old man used to be when I was a kid, and used to go out with him for the day quite often, of course this was before all the H&S crap kicked in and you now you can’t even ■■■■ in the cab lol.

Nope. me dad was a docker, (I was offered his job at the big strike) as I was a port operator for HM where I got my licences (TA at that time) :wink:

used to go with my dad in his Atkinson in the sixties,and went with his mate one trip in a 2-stroke Commer :sunglasses: .i eventually ended up working with dad at Redland Aggs,on mainly Leyland Bisons and Octopussies :slight_smile:
used to take my own kids later on,before H&S kicked in :frowning:

Yep, my dad is a driver, my grandad was and so was my great grandad, in fact, nearly everyone in my family is or has been a driver or has worked in the haulage industry. As my grandad used to say “it’s in the blood”.

Used to go with my dad in his old ERF flatbed doing paper from DRT in Radcliffe in Manchester back in the early 70’s. No step on his wagon, you had to use the wheel hub to climb up and lovely big cuts down your leg if you slipped. Remember going to places like MY Dart in London with paper for the dartboards and staying at Watling St cafe on the A5 in Herts, god was bloody freezing in those cabins :smiley: I think one of the things I loved most about it was he started driving before most of the motorways were built so he preferred using the old roads rather than the mways, a much more interesting drive and a habit I’ve developed in my own driving. Mind you, if he was still around today and still driving, he’d love the new modern cabs with night heaters, bunks and microwaves :smiley:

Yep ,my dads a driver…

Yep, Dadikins was a driver.

Dad and both Grandad’s, i used to go with my dad when i was a kid and with a couple of mates too, yes it’s in the blood!!!
All my kids have been with me at some stage recently :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Saw that pic at your kids prom mate. Nice that.

Kids must have felt good when all the flash motors are there, and then an artic unit rocks up and steals the show!

And maybe a cheeky grin on Dad’s face too??

My late father drove for various companies in the fifties and sixties, Thermalite Ytong (Reading), Laws Transport (Reading) , Bootys Transport (Oxford) etc on Bedfords, BMC’s, Foden FG’s, bonneted Leyland Comets and a couple of old Seddons, and I went with him in the holidays. When I passed my HGV test in the 70’s he told me that I wasn’t a ‘proper driver’ as I had power steering and four axle brakes (he even ordered a new Renault 21 car without power steering as he reckoned that was only for softies) and when I used to phone him about where I had been that week he changed the subject very quickly! :unamused:

Pete.

eagerbeaver:
Saw that pic at your kids prom mate. Nice that.

Kids must have felt good when all the flash motors are there, and then an artic unit rocks up and steals the show!

And maybe a cheeky grin on Dad’s face too??

Oh yes lol :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Nice memory that, Pete.